It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I propose banning the manufacture and sale of Machine guns.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I think assault rifles that are semi-automatic are used more than machine guns in mass shootings. In fact, I'm not sure anyone has ever used a fully-automatic weapon in a mass shooting... maybe I have my definitions wrong.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:04 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

LOLOLOL.

You needed the /sarc tag.

Some folks would think that was a serious rational post . . . not realizing that machine guns are already verbotten to the general public.

I think it would be a better goal to ban the manufacture and sale of machine-gun-lying-blathering politicians. That would save millions more lives than all the gun bans in history or imagined.

Or, perhaps we could tax them $5 for every publicly uttered or written word beyond a very basic amount.

Or maybe we could send them home to mommy--given that they are so intensely at a 2 year old immaturity/fit throwing psychological/emotional age decade in and decade out.

Or maybe we could insist that all THEIR guards could ONLY HAVE water pistols for everyone of the politicos that ever mentioned gun control in a positive way or with a positive attitude.

Or maybe we could threaten to show them the business end of a machine gun if they ever dared to talk about gun control again.

edit on 16/6/2016 by BO XIAN because: added

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Orionx2

What license would this be?

I'm Aussie so that would be an Australian Firearm License.

My location is clearly written under my avatar, albeit upside-down.

Also I am a single father. If a group of people are breaking into my house (which unfortunately is getting common around my area) how can I defend my daughter with a single shot with 6 rounds against multiple targets? I would rather have a 30 round clip in a semi auto than a 6 shooter guaranteed to get me killed and my daughter raped and murdered.

Here in Australia, indeed in much of the western world outside of America, we do not fear our fellow countrymen anywhere near as much as Americans fear each other. In Australia there is simply no need to carry weapons, we do not fear walking down the street, there are no "no-go" zones whatsoever where we would fear for our lives traveling through - such concepts are foreign to us. Why? Because of our strict gun laws.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

imho

NONSENSE.

Violent folks have STILL managed to get their hands on guns in Australia

and their victims not having arms to protect themselves merely made the violent criminal idiots' jobs easier and more carefree.

imho, that's terminal stupidity.

Human nature is human nature everywhere.

Criminals do NOT abide by laws anywhere.

Sheesh.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN

imho

NONSENSE.

Violent folks have STILL managed to get their hands on guns in Australia

and their victims not having arms to protect themselves merely made the violent criminal idiots' jobs easier and more carefree.

imho, that's terminal stupidity.

Human nature is human nature everywhere.

Criminals do NOT abide by laws anywhere.

Sheesh.

Of course some criminals will sometimes get their hands on guns - that is without question. What we have done is reduce that likelihood significantly and also ensured that if they do it is highly unlikely that it will be an assault-style - more like a single shot type weapon. Remember the Martin Place siege? That bloke could only get his hands on a single-fire shotgun, and apparently he tried hard to find something better but failed. Our laws prevented more than 2 people dying in that siege (and one of those was from a police bullet).

I know it's hard for Americans who have never traveled outside America to understand but most other western countries simply don't see the levels and intensity of violence that America sees on a daily basis. We don't feel the need to arm ourselves against our fellow citizens simply because the danger does not exist. You can deny that all you want but it's true. I wouldn't (and won't) live in a country where I fear my fellow countrymen so much I have to arm myself to go to the shops or to go about my daily life. In fact I feel terribly sorry for anyone who thinks it is acceptable to live in that sort of society.

edit on 16/6/2016 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   

so when you were in America, how many times were you assaulted or robbed?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Or shot at.

He's one of those people that watches the news and thinks we're all just shooting at each other all day.

Doesn't even take into account how expensive ammo is...Sheesh.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

so when you were in America, how many times were you assaulted or robbed?

Who needs to go to America when all I have to do is turn on my computer and open a news website? Every day, when I do, I know there is a decent chance I'll be reading about yet another mass murder there. I also know the chances of me reading about a mass murder in Australia are practically zero - as is evidenced by 20 years of no mass murders.

I was playing a game on my computer and my wife was watching a movie when news of the Orlando shooting started to appear online. I remember reading the headline then saying to my wife "Yet another mass shooting in America" to which she replied "I'm not surprised in the slightest". You see, mass murders in America seem to have become so commonplace that it no longer surprises us. Nothing ever happens to help prevent it again because so many of you are blinded to the reason why it's happening. And so the insanity continues.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Who needs to go to America when all I have to do is turn on my computer and open a news website? Every day, when I do, I know there is a decent chance I'll be reading about yet another mass murder there.

See what I mean?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Who needs to go to America when all I have to do is turn on my computer and open a news website? Every day, when I do, I know there is a decent chance I'll be reading about yet another mass murder there.

See what I mean?

No, because your point is invalid.

But if you want to nit-pick, I went to Hawaii as a kid and some man on the beach tried to sell me heroin. I could see the gun tucked into his pants. I've never wanted to get out of a place so fast in my entire life.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
He's one of those people that watches the news and thinks we're all just shooting at each other all day.

That seems likely of many of the foreign gun control advocates.

The simple fact is, if this were a widespread problem that people everywhere were dealing with on a daily basis, you'd see far more support for gun control than you do. The reason that support isn't there is because, for a very large percentage of Americans, the personal exposure to 'gun violence' isn't there, either.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Yea, I guess you are right. I'm just not sure how you can even go outside down there with all those spiders and snakes everywhere. It seems you can't take two stepps without having a Bushmaster, or some variant of the black widow ready to strike and kill you. Plus you can't go in the water with all the great white sharks. Damn, I'd rather know my enemy than have them sneak up on you in the yard.

It's no wonder you want a weapon. You guys have it way worse than we do.

Or so I'm led to believe by the internet.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Congratulations on knowing absolutely nothing about Australia.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

Bwahahahahahaha!!!

one in the net! It's a keeper!!!

Dude, you are my favorite.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Are you calling military inspired sporting rifles, machine guns?.

Machine guns can't be bought at Wal-Mart as it is, most people can't buy them anywhere anyway.

It's ignorance like this that #s everything up for other people.

I'll bet the only exposure to Firearms you have ever had was through your TV.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Just so you know. I am 47 years old. I was mugged by a group of black thugs when I was 12. They didn't have a weapon, just a bunch of them, so they got what they wanted. Beyond that, I have never encountered any shooting, robbery, or crime. IN fact, the closest I have come to mortal danger is being stationed in Saudi Arabia at Khobar towers a few months before the bombing. I stayed in the tower on the far left, one row back. About two buildings next to the one that was blown up.

So even with a 6 year military career, no violence, no stabbings, or shootings in 47 years, save for one. If the US is like you think it is, how have I been able to miss all of that? how has most of the population missed that? It it even remotely possible that you are influenced by seeing nothing but bad news about the US? Or do they show you a lot of the good things that go on here in your news?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   

So your only experience with America and guns is an armed criminal?

You think this is indicative of the VAST majority of gun owners?

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: MyHappyDogShiner

Are you calling military inspired sporting rifles, machine guns?.

Machine guns can't be bought at Wal-Mart as it is, most people can't buy them anywhere anyway.

It's ignorance like this that #s everything up for other people.

I'll bet the only exposure to Firearms you have ever had was through your TV.

reading comprehension is a good thing. You should look into it. This thread is a joke for those who aren't the ones you are talking about, yet, you seem to have missed that. Fully automatic weapons have already been banned from manufacture to the public since 1986. So what I propose is something that already exists. Yet, if you were to make a speech using just those points I brought up in front of a group of gun haters, they would likely applaud and walk away thinking they got their way. All because they don't know the difference between an automatic weapon and a semi automatic weapon. They only know what the idiot box tells them. I may not be as well versed as Project is, but I have seen a firearm at least once in my life. Hell, I might even own one.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Perhaps, if a couple of people in that nightclub were armed, the death toll might not have been so high? likewise for the Paris (France) shootings, immigrants from countries that are known to be violent places, bring their violence with them, European news bears me out.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: Kryties

Bwahahahahahaha!!!

one in the net! It's a keeper!!!

Dude, you are my favorite.

Dude, I know what you were trying to do. You're not fooling anyone. I simply am not biting. I was genuinely congratulating you on knowing nothing about Australia, regardless of internet or not.

You see, you and several others think you're being smart. "Tricking" people, as it were, and then laughing when they fall into your "trap". Thing is, the very premise behind the whole thread, being that America has just had YET ANOTHER mass shooting, is being ignored in favor of wordplay and trickery. It is rather shameful to watch, actually.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join