It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Leopard2A series going to be continued?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
As in topic. Is the producer of Leopard2A6 going to work on further versions of the Leopard2A series or is any company going to construct a new tank?

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I think that they will stop updating it soon. Leopard 2 is a 70's tank and thats now over 25 years ago.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
I think that they will stop updating it soon. Leopard 2 is a 70's tank and thats now over 25 years ago.

Well actually the Bundeswehr received the first Leopards 2 in 1979, so you were very close. But sorry, but I was asking if someone knows the facts for sure. Also, I already knew what you said above.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The Danish army received updated Leopard2A this summer

Dont know the exact specifications of the updates(i'll try to find some info)

But i do know that they were updated in Germany

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
They should definetly continue the leopard series. I am pretty sure they will, but in which direction; I have no idea.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I did some research..

The Danish army received last spring.. updated Leopard2 A tanks. the updated tank is known as Leopard2 A5 is improved to join in international operations.

the knew specifications involves:

Improved panzer

an updated "Hunter Killer" system

Weight : 62,5 tons

Engine: 1500 HP

shooting range: 4km with its 120mm cannon

Top speed: 68 km/t forwards 31 km/t backwards

Fuel use: 190 km on 6 liters

Link(from the Danish Army Operative Command, in danish):

www.hok.dk...

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
i mean it can go 190km on a full tank

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 05:10 AM
link   
i thought so. 6 liters for 190 km is

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
The Rheinmetall website does not mention any planned upgrades beyond the A6. The german army website states that 350 Bundeswehr Leopards will be upgraded to A6 standards.
I read an interviewsomewhere with a general of the Bundeswehr armored forces who stated that there will be no development of the A6 into a Leopard 3. In the long run, the Bundeswehr is apparently looking for an entirely new vehicle. It should be similar in capabilities to a Leo 2 but lighter and more suited to low scale conflicts.
The german army site has Oberstleutnant Mutzel of the german armor school's future project staff saying that minor upgrades on the A6 will continue in the near future but ultimately a new vehicle will replace it. However requirements and such for that new vehicle have not even been formulated. I believe it will certainly be some time before the Leos are retired.

posted on Feb, 11 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Germany has now updated Leopard IIA6's to Leopard IIA6M's, the M's are protected against tank mines, and its now more agile in urban areas.

In the beginnings leopard drove just 70 km/h but now it can drive with a bit over 100 since there are new engines (wasnt mentiond on the specifications, and officially its still just 70) btw. it drives with one tank filling around of 500 kilometers, the new longer Cannon is by a new material (same company, still made by Rheinmetall), it has new better KE-ammonation, some high tech equipment is also in it, for controling the fire, for driving also in the night without of any hindrances, its combat mass is 59,7 tons.

Vne

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I believe Finland will be acquiring new Leopard 2's as well.

top topics

join