It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate approves women registering for the draft

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: VivreLibre

The selective service has been around for a while. It has been a very sexist program that singles out men and make it law that they register for the draft.

This bill is a massive step forward for equality. Men have been dying in war for centuries and it's about time we all shared the burden of war.

Nothing to do with equality and everything to do with your government using "equality" as an excuse to gather up more warm bodies to fight their wars.

There should never be a draft, ever. Period.

The very idea of a draft is totalitarian/tyrannical/dictatorial right down to its core.

It's bad enough one gender gets forced to march to their death... but now both will be ?

I see plenty of orphaned children in the near future.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

But maybe they are gearing up for a real draft soon?

I wonder that too. My mother has described to me the 'lotteries' on TV. I am GLAD my father's family was comparatively wealthy and had a family doctor that signed a health exemption... or I might not be here. He was perfectly healthy.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco
a reply to: neo96

Pish posh...it amounts to a paper tiger...looks like a big step but given the youth of today and lack of respect for authority you really think people will fall in line with a draft...rubbish and it's meaningless..

If it was the late 60s-70s (people burning draft cards), 1980 or even 1995, I would agree. But now, it it is so much more difficult to not be tracked by the government.

The youth of today are the same as the youth as before, they just can't hide as easily. They give the government their whereabouts on google and facebook.
edit on 15-6-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

And forget it if you have an iphone, it takes seconds to locate you.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I believe that all women should be held to the same standards and civil expectations as men,

- HOWEVER -

I don't support it being compulsory until we're afforded ABSOLUTELY EQUAL RIGHTS. ERA? Right to equal pay? Women's reproductive rights? When we're treated as equal, we'll carry the appropriate load.

(FWIW, I'm a retired USN officer)
edit on 15-6-2016 by ReprobateRaccoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   

This is the main reason many states never ratified the Equal Rights Amendment. To this very day, the ERA has not been ratified by the required number of States.

Anti-ERA organizers claimed that the ERA would deny woman's right to be supported by her husband, privacy rights would be overturned, women would be sent into combat, and abortion rights and homosexual marriages would be upheld.

3 down and 2 to go.

edit on 15-6-2016 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:22 PM
link   
the whole idea of the draft is frightening.

I still can't believe this is real. But it was.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Bout time. Though I'm against the draft as a concept, but if I'm included on it then women should be included as well.
edit on 15-6-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Bingo! I'm more concerned about the idea of a draft in these times, than I am about the gender of the draftees. What war is the U.S. fighting (or plans to fight?) that requires the draft being enacted? I've been away for a while. Maybe I shouldn't crawl under a rock without CNN.

I was under the impression that the current U.S. military was voluntary.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Is there really anything wrong with any of those things happening?

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Bout time. Though I'm against the draft as a concept, but if I'm included on it then women should be included as well.

Even when women are still the primary caregivers to children? Lots of absent fathers. Lots of divorced people where the woman has raised the children. That part still does not balance here.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

What I don't understand is why the senate isn't voting to legally and permanently remove the draft altogether.

Instead, they're voting to add more bodies to the roster.

Sick sick sick.

tinfoil hat on

And the timing of this ??

I smell Vietnam 2.0 just around the corner...

tinfoil hat off

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Well the rate of single fathers is on the rise and to your point about divorced mothers, that is likely due to the bias that courts have with favoring the mother in these things. I've witnessed a soldier have to fight tooth and nail with the courts to get custody from the mother who was a huge crack head and had spent his entire combat pay while he was deployed in Iraq on partying and NOT her child. So you may want to rethink that point a bit. It's not entirely men's fault that women end up raising their children more than the fathers in cases of divorce.

And to answer your question. Yes. They should still be drafted. Like I said, I don't agree with the draft, but fairs fair. If I have to go fight and die for my country against my will, then you can do it too.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

This is actually an interesting point. I highly doubt that the US will be involved with another war on scales that would require a draft. We've gone all in on a mercenary army and it is working phenomenal since soldiers more often than not WANT to be there instead of being forced to be there. So why hasn't the draft been abolished altogether?

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

What war is the U.S. fighting (or plans to fight?) that requires the draft being enacted?

Heh, I was just posting the exact same thoughts when you did.

[insert twilight zone music here]

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Well the rate of single fathers is on the rise and to your point about divorced mothers, that is likely due to the bias that courts have with favoring the mother in these things. I've witnessed a soldier have to fight tooth and nail with the courts to get custody from the mother who was a huge crack head and had spent his entire combat pay while he was deployed in Iraq on partying and NOT her child. So you may want to rethink that point a bit. It's not entirely men's fault that women end up raising their children more than the fathers in cases of divorce.

And to answer your question. Yes. They should still be drafted. Like I said, I don't agree with the draft, but fairs fair. If I have to go fight and die for my country against my will, then you can do it too.

'On the rise' and anecdotal stories known to you do not an equal situation make.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

You're just being a wet blanket because the equality you've received isn't the equality you wanted.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Fair enough. Here you go:
The Rise of Single Fathers

The number of single father households has increased about ninefold since 1960, from less than 300,000 to more than 2.6 million in 2011.1 In comparison, the number of single mother households increased more than fourfold during that time period, up to 8.6 million in 2011, from 1.9 million in 1960.

As for the other point. It seems science is in disagreement with me. So I will concede that point.
Are Custody Decisions Biased in Favor of Mothers?

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Why can't we do what Milo Minderbinder did in Catch 22? We'll just contract the enemy army to fight themselves...

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
but the draft will only be for poor women,right? the rich ladies (and men) will still enjoy immunity from being drafted and sent to the front lines to die for their country,in some godforsaken hell hole.
edit on 15-6-2016 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

I think they did away with the college loophole actually. So rich people will need more insidious ways to legally dodge the draft. Though with money anything is possible.

<< 1    3 >>

join