It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reagan supported assault weapon ban

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Let me preface by saying I'm all for the Second Amendment, including owning assault weapons. But I find it an odd dichotomy that Reagan, the champion of the conservatives, was all for an assault weapon ban, and backed the Brady Bill, which controlled handgun purchases.

Reagan received extended applause when answering a question about over-the-counter military weapons, such as the AK-47 assault rifle used to gun down five Stockton schoolchildren last month. "I do not believe in taking away the right of the citizen for sporting, for hunting and so forth, or for home defense," he said. "But I do believe that an AK-47, a machine gun, is not a sporting weapon or needed for defense of a home."

The 1989 import ban resulted in an impressive 40% drop in imported assault weapons traced to crime between 1989 and 1991, but the killing continues.

www.snopes.com...

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Reagan would never be considered "electable" by today's conservatives ...

*pst* He also raised taxes!

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The ak47 is an automatic rifle and is therefore an assult rifle. The ar15 in not.

edit on 15-6-2016 by Bluntone22 because: spelling

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

stop letting reality of what is an automatic vs semi automatic rife get in the way of the bull crap

That's really rude of you, lol

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
The ak47 is an automatic rifle and is therefore an assult rifle. The ar15 in not.

There are many legal AK-47's that are sold which do NOT operate fully automatic. You have to have a SPECIAL license to have a full auto AK-47. I've seen MANY semi-auto AK-47's at the shooting gallery.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

Look what good it did him.

He also gave illegal aliens amnesty.

He is maligned by the leftists to this day.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Reagan was a Douche, politically speaking that is. People are Sofa king Stoop-ed to buy into the plot to scare US citizens out of there RIGHT to defend our selves from Tyranny. . . . It's really sad imo. More people are killed by knives and fists in the US than Guns. Hell, a big chunk of the fatal SHOOTINGS in this country are committed by Police! It's BS

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
The clip above says "ak47"

Was Reagan referring to the semi auto or full auto when he was saying we did not need one for home defence?
He says "machine gun" and that tells me he was referring to a fully automatic rifle.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Man, I don't want to step on your thread.....But enough is enough with the Ronald Reagan crap. He was just a damn man, who was an actor & then a Governor, then Potus...... Not to mention the fact he's really damn dead. So let's let him and his name just go in peace. Not everything political is judged by being held up to Reagan...IMHO.. He was a cuckold of a husband to Nancy, the one who really wore the pants & called the shots.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The ak's for sale in the U.S. are semi-auto and the same as an Ar-15

iTruthSeeker

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Reagan was before the Feinstein gun-ban. He was before the Rodney King Riots, before progressive long-march through the institutions had gotten so far; He was also before the 1993 World Trade Center Bombing, much less the 2001 WTC event.

Ronald Reagan was a great man for his time.... But he was just so, September 10th.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I'm all for a ban on automatic weapons.

(they are pretty much banned anyway)

People that can shoot don't need them.

In all my years I've never needed to lay down cover fire while hunting.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
the GOP is shell of its former self. You have to wonder if fornmer Democrat and Clinton supporter Donald "Baron Bomburst" Trump is trying to kill the GOP from within. He is doing damage it may takes decades to undo

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Didn't Reagan get shot by John Hinkley in 1981? He might have been a bit biased. Lol

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
senor Reagan doesn't count.....not for anything....he's just a drugstore truck driving man....had fortune tellers in the white house constantly.......huge mistake mister....
the wage graph leveled out against worker production.......and has remained

called it trickle down when he let the rich pay no taxes.......so you be the judge......

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I believe Reagan was a good president, but he wasn't infallible and he wasn't always right. I don't know how the debate was framed at the time. It may have been the right position in the late 1980s, when 'assault rifles' were a niche product that could be banned with little affect on law-abiding gun owners. Now, in 2016, that's clearly not the case as the number of lawful 'assault rifle' owners is likely well in excess of 10 million, perhaps as many as 20 million. It clearly *will* affect a large number of people who aren't guilty of any crime. Likewise, public support for an 'assault weapons' ban has eroded considerably since the late 80s/early 90s and has been a bare majority, if that, over the last few years, though I would expect a temporary spike in the polling over the next month or two. Regardless, the point is that Reagan's position is a product of his time period, and the country and its views on this issue, both politically and in how they practice their 2A rights, have moved on.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
I'm all for a ban on automatic weapons.

(they are pretty much banned anyway)

People that can shoot don't need them.

In all my years I've never needed to lay down cover fire while hunting.

Nobody needs one for hunting. You need one during a civil disturbance, to protect your snap.

edit on 15/6/2016 by redempsh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DanteGaland
Reagan would never be considered "electable" by today's conservatives ...

*pst* He also raised taxes!

And he wanted an open border with Mexico and amnesty for illegal immigrants.

I think he's only their "hero" because they don't actually know his policies.

posted on Jun, 19 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Reagan was very pro gun control but the right tends to forget that about him. The myth is more than the man in his case.

posted on Aug, 3 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

That's right, he did!

new topics

top topics

join