It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reddit and Facebook censoring and deleting posts about Orlando Massacre

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Facebook and Reddit accused of censorship after pages discussing Orlando carnage are deleted in wake of terrorist attack
News Article

I thought this was very disturbing that reddit and facebook are deleting and censoring posts in regards to this event. A lot of other articles state that reddit mods are deleting and banning memebers that suggest the perpetrators of the Orlando shooting was muslim. I find this very disheartening and would like to know what my fellow members think and feel about what facebook and reddit are doing, are they hiding the fact this was a planned event, how far down the rabbit hole does this go???
edit on 15-6-2016 by spmc215 because:

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: spmc215

Pretty sad, but no surprise coming from those websites

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Bennyzilla

I can see Facebooks will being bent to do it but reddi t? I know they have a lot of volunteer mods that in my experience are in power trips, but for all of them to delete posts suggesting the Orlando event was perpetrated by muslims, someone has to be instructing them to do so, dont ya think?

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I've always kind of seen reddit as more left leaning than right certainly so I'm not too surprised. I think there a pretty equal chance that this was either something a higher up told them to do or some rouge mods.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: spmc215
a reply to: Bennyzilla

I can see Facebooks will being bent to do it but reddi t? I know they have a lot of volunteer mods that in my experience are in power trips, but for all of them to delete posts suggesting the Orlando event was perpetrated by muslims, someone has to be instructing them to do so, dont ya think?

Stupid question, but if the posts have been deleted then how do you know what was in them?

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I know nothing of Reddit, but my Facebook feed is littered with posts of Orlando, and that includes all the alternative/ conspiracy pages I follow claiming it to be a false flag/ MK ultra event...
Nothing has been taken down that I can find.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Old news. There was a #storm on reddit over this issue on censorship on Sunday and Monday. It was disgusting how information was censored.

The r/news moderators deleted every topic and post regarding the Orlando massacre as soon as it was known that the perp was a Muslim. These same mods then deleted posts and banned users who posted posts about blood donations for the shooting victims. These same mods even told people who disagreed with them to "kill themselves", lol.
The funny thing was that the only place on reddit that covered the story without comment bias or deletions had hilariously been r/the_donald and AskReddit. That's just sad no other places there covered this story.
edit on 15-6-2016 by KaibaTheJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

Just basing my conclusions on the article in the OP and years long interactions with both websites.

I didn't personally see any posts deleted.

There's no such thing as a stupid question my friend

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
In the long run these websites are doing their reputation no favors. It has been the military industrial complexes job to tie up the public discussion about war and killing for a long time. One good thing about a network is that no one can operate alone.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Facebook and Reddit accused of censorship after pages discussing Orlando carnage are deleted in wake of terrorist attack
News Article

I thought this was very disturbing that reddit and facebook are deleting and censoring posts in regards to this event. A lot of other articles state that reddit mods are deleting and banning memebers that suggest the perpetrators of the Orlando shooting was muslim. I find this very disheartening and would like to know what my fellow members think and feel about what facebook and reddit are doing, are they hiding the fact this was a planned event, how far down the rabbit hole does this go???

This OP is a textbook example of the disinformation people on this site love to put out there. You link to an article that had a detailed explanation about why things were deleted, that included a massive influx of similar subreddits as well as manipulation of the reddit voting system as well as an influx of hate speech and vitriol. This is from the site linked by the OP:

The moderator also said Orlando threads were being 'brigaded' - a process by which users band together to down or upvote a given topic or opinion ('It's the Reddit form of a lynch mob,' according to one user's explanation).
'We did a poor job reacting to the brigades and ultimately chose to lock several threads and then consolidate other big threads into a megathread,' the r/News moderator wrote.

Yet this is described as "deleting and banning memebers that suggest the perpetrators of the Orlando shooting was muslim", which is an out right lie. It's textbook disinfo... Start with a truth: Reddit and Facebook are heavily moderating discussions of Orlando tragedy... but then casually throw in a lie that fits some sort of world view agenda: it's because people are simply saying he was muslim. The lie gets everyone all riled up and no one stops to say... wait, maybe there was ANOTHER reason other than the one I got all riled up about, maybe I should actually read about it for myself and make my own decision.

If we want honest discussions about stuff, then we have to be honest in our approach.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bennyzilla
a reply to: uncommitted

Just basing my conclusions on the article in the OP and years long interactions with both websites.

I didn't personally see any posts deleted.

There's no such thing as a stupid question my friend

Cheers, I was more puzzled as to why people were claiming what the content was of posts they couldn't see - if it was inciting violence towards people of a particular faith, mocking the dead in some way etc - if so, does that break T's and C's. If so, the same thing would happen on here so not sure what the big deal really is.

link   
Facebook is not a news organization, it's a company that provides a free service for social interaction. They are free to remove any content they choose and they do so frequently for any number of reasons.

It isn't censorship, as Facebook has given no specific assurances to members regarding the content they choose to post. There are plenty of examples of real censorship out there, but Facebook removing posts isn't one of them.

link   

The oligarchy has owned/controlled

all the major media since 1915 & 1917 when they bought out the major newspaper empires.

They still do . . . only more so . . .

Some, like FB, they seem to own by the brainwashed status of the creators/owners.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

A rose by any other name

is STILL a rose.

As is FB's censorship.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: SKMDC1

There are multiple instances of reddit and facebook censorship and this is not the only article. If you do a quick search you will see abuse of mod power from topics of entertainment to real life events. I dont know if there is any malice behind it or just megalomaniac moderators abusing power. Which is why I brought this to the communities attention to discuss and dissect and hopefully better understand the reasoning behind all of this.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

Working in Public Relations for the government, social media outlets like facebook are very powerful tools to disseminat info and news. So we can agree these social media platforms are evolving and taking new shape to become a new outlet for the media, and ofcourse the control the media has comes with it .
edit on 15-6-2016 by spmc215 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   

There are multiple instances of reddit and facebook censorship and this is not the only article. If you do a quick search you will see abuse of mod power from topics of entertainment to real life events. I dont know if there is any malice behind it or just megalomaniac moderators abusing power. Which is why I brought this to the communities attention to discuss and dissect and hopefully better understand the reasoning behind all of this.

Then your subject title should have been about the general issues of moderation on sites like Reddit and Facebook, instead you specifically say they are "censoring" posts about Orlando Massacre. A cursory bit of research shows that framing is inaccurate. I see now that you are walking back your outrage to something like reasonable curiosity. I would encourage you to start with that next time, rather than disinformation meant to incite outrage, which is basically the definition of trolling.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   
yeah I red-it last few days.

I always saw reddit as a kindergarten, so nothing new, I guess someone played with the mods his barbies.

And facebook, that is just a kindergarten.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

People are outraged its not just this subject but many and the censorship and deletion of post is a real phenomenon I dont know if there is an agenda or just power hungry mods, but when someone talks about muslims being involved in orlando shootings just to be deleted is wrong, is he not aloud to put his 2 cents into an on going investigation especially when ISIL is claiming that they did it.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

...but when someone talks about muslims being involved in orlando shootings just to be deleted is wrong...

My point is... that statement is completely wrong. It's a lie. There is more to the moderation on Reddit than people saying muslims were involved. NO ONE HAS HAD A POST DELETED for that specific reason. You are spreading disinformation.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join