It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giving money to the homeless. Don't do it!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I used to do volunteer work at a homeless shelter preparing food. This was during college and I was really poor at the time so I felt like I had some kind of social responsibility while I had all this free time (after studying of course). I learned a lot while working there and one of the things the head cook jammed into my brain was that none of the homeless people they take care of are to be trusted. They abuse alcohol, steal, and lie. Anything to take advantage of people. She is a former prison guard and has seen a lot in her day. Well experienced in life. I have found out first hand that this woman was 100% correct. It is unfortunate to come to this realization as I don't want to see people suffer. Do not give the homeless a dime of your money. Do not live under the assumption that they are in their position because of mental health problems or perhaps are suffering veterans. Many will lie about who they are in order to take advantage of hard working decent human beings and most certainly do that. They will even lie about being veterans. Again, first hand experience.

You'll tell me I'm cold, but go ahead and invite a homeless person into your home to give them a hot meal. You won't of course because deep down your common sense tells you that you are putting your home, loved ones, and possessions in danger.

Do not give anyone your money ever. It's a scam and they survive because you are the self sustaining survivor. Not them.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Anything to take advantage of people

Sadly, you have described most people on this planet. After 51 years, I am under no illusion that "people are basically good". Most are out for themselves. Period. Oh, they may do a good deed here and there, but for the most part, they're going to do whatever it takes to make sure they come out on top.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokedownChevyI live near Memphis tn and folks stand on corners begging for money and I used to give them my money. But not anymore. A lot of the folks that stand on the corners in Memphis aren't even homeless. Some even have homes that they go to and my aunt witnessed a guy standing on the corner begging for money with a sign saying he was homeless and then he went to his house up the street.

I gave a girl money once which was stupid. Then I saw her the next day and her and a guy were walking up the street and they had cell phones and I was thinking... roar.

If you want to give money to help out.. you can donate straight to a union mission place or a homeless shelter in your city. Or volunteer your time

I agree its a scam

See that's the thing.. I hand a water or food and if they don't take it then I know. A guy came up to me the other night and told me he was hungry and homeless, so I told him to walk with me to my car and I would give him my left overs I had and ya know what, he walked off, he wanted money not my food.

edit on 15-6-2016 by natalia because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-6-2016 by natalia because: (no reason given)

+29 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrokedownChevy
Do not give the homeless a dime of your money.

I will give homeless people money and food (and clothes, blankets, whatever they need). I was homeless once and I NEVER stole, lied to anyone, and I didn't abuse alcohol or anything else. You are stereotyping homeless people and it's bigoted and sickening! Shame on you, really.

Do not live under the assumption that they are in their position because of mental health problems or perhaps are suffering veterans.

I don't care WHY they are homeless. We helped a homeless veteran for years and he was homeless by choice (he could have gone to the veterans organization here). Most of us have compassion and understanding.

Again, first hand experience.

One or two people's first hand experience does not indicate the "truth" you're trying to spread. In addition, MY first hand experience, which I would wager is a LOT more than yours, tells me that you're simply stereotyping and trying to spread fear.

Yo... go ahead and invite a homeless person into your home to give them a hot meal. You won't of course because deep down your common sense tells you that you are putting your home, loved ones, and possessions in danger.

I wouldn't invite ANY stranger to my home for a meal. So, don't make out homeless people as "dangerous".

Your post really makes me sick.

Edit: Of course I'm not saying that all homeless people are innocent, but they're no more dishonest or dangerous than any segment of the population.
edit on 6/15/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

My former boss is a genius scientist and he once told me that everyone is using everyone. It's true. My mom once told me that you can't trust anyone in this world. This is also true. It's so sad that it has to be this way, but it's a reality that we must face. Giving money to the homeless is enabling them, not just to drink and do drugs, but to continue taking advantage of people. Once a person starts asking for money their life becomes that and eventually they believe it's ok to live this way.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
This is a bit harsh. You just can’t lump all homeless people into one bucket, pull their name out and say their situation is entirely their own fault. I do understand where you’re coming from to an extent, I went through a bit of a phase not long ago of helping people on the streets and some of them would genuinely be offended if I handed some food over. Some of them lie about needing money for accommodation and then five minutes later they’re trundling off to a smack den. Yes, I’m being equally as judgemental even by saying that, but there is no way I would ever be labelling all homeless people as being “degenerate skanks”, for want of better phrasing. To the contrary, having being in homeless situations myself I have found that a lot of such people are quite intelligent, and have often come from a broken family with a history of abuse against them. If for example you have an 18-year-old on the streets because they got kicked out of home on their birthday, then I really do doubt it is their own doing. Even for those who have come out of prison to no family or possessions, they would clearly need professional assistance in being able to survive.

(post by Edumakated removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I used to do volunteer work at a homeless shelter preparing food. This was during college and I was really poor at the time so I felt like I had some kind of social responsibility while I had all this free time (after studying of course). I learned a lot while working there and one of the things the head cook jammed into my brain was that none of the homeless people they take care of are to be trusted. They abuse alcohol, steal, and lie. Anything to take advantage of people. She is a former prison guard and has seen a lot in her day. Well experienced in life. I have found out first hand that this woman was 100% correct. It is unfortunate to come to this realization as I don't want to see people suffer. Do not give the homeless a dime of your money. Do not live under the assumption that they are in their position because of mental health problems or perhaps are suffering veterans. Many will lie about who they are in order to take advantage of hard working decent human beings and most certainly do that. They will even lie about being veterans. Again, first hand experience.

You'll tell me I'm cold, but go ahead and invite a homeless person into your home to give them a hot meal. You won't of course because deep down your common sense tells you that you are putting your home, loved ones, and possessions in danger.

Do not give anyone your money ever. It's a scam and they survive because you are the self sustaining survivor. Not them.

The vast majority of the chronically homeless are drug addicts and do have mental problems. This is a fact.

Part of the problem is that we cannot forcibly remove people from the streets. We can't round up bums like stray dogs. As such, there will always be a homeless problem.

Occasionally, I will buy someone a meal, but under no circumstances do I give them cash.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: BrokedownChevy
There is SOME truth to what you're saying, and I agree with it, but most charities are even worse than the people they are allegedly helping. There are people out there who need and deserve help, who because of circumstances beyond their control, are where they are. I have had the homeless in my house, and that person didn't steal a dime, or try to trick me. He told me he was stupid, made some mistakes, and was reaping the reward. Not everyone is so straightforward of course, but he was.

I don't think we can make blanket statements. We need to be aware of the kind of people you speak of, and judge each case individually, without becoming deeply jaded and cynical. There have been times in my life I prayed to the god I believed in for just a little help, and it never came. Now I understand it isn't up to a deity. It's up to us to do what is right, when it's right to do it.

Unlike David above, I do believe most people are basically good, but there are factors that de-rail that good in our society, due to nurture, as much as nature. Imho.

edit on 6/15/2016 by Klassified because: edit for clarity

edit on 6/15/2016 by Klassified because: wording

edit on 6/15/2016 by Klassified because: Ack!

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: IllegalName

It's a harsh world. I notice that all the posts defending beggers are from people who were once homeless themselves. Once a begger, always a begger.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

a reply to: IllegalName

It's a harsh world. I notice that all the posts defending beggers are from people who were once homeless themselves. Once a begger, always a begger.

Now you're just looking for a fight to satisfy your ego, and confirm your bias.

And it's beggar, not begger.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Many of them are alcoholics or drug users who were kicked out of their home due to their addictions. We never had homeless people standing near our local mall with signs asking for money. Three years ago it started to become a daily occurrence. You can tell many of these "homeless" people are taking money just to feed their addictions. Some of these people are smoking cigarettes while holding signs. Really, they don't have money for food, but they have money for cigarettes?

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   

a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

You're naive.

No, I'm not. I fully believe that SOME PEOPLE are deceitful, and even dangerous. And I have given money to people only to find out they lied about their circumstances - and bought beer with the money... I embarrassed my husband by driving over the the guy I had given money to reaming him publicly in the Albertson's parking lot.

Here's how I see it. When I GIVE money, it's not mine anymore, it's theirs. What they choose to do with it is their business. If they lie, steal or use it for drugs or alcohol, it's THEIR karma that will suffer. Mine is intact. When I give, I TRULY give.

originally posted by: Edumakated
The vast majority of the chronically homeless are drug addicts and do have mental problems. This is a fact.

Puking out "This is a fact" does not make it a fact. You're just bloviating...

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Good job dividing people

Just remember not everyone is a perfekt human being like you, most of us do make mistakes sometimes, but not you sir! Well done on being so perfect! you should be proud of yourself

But everyone else we cant trust, and shouldnt help in any way, especially people without a home...

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Once again this is a public service announcement.

Do not give money to the homeless. Good day.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMNOTYOU

Exactly. Most of us make mistakes. I've made many and I still didn't beg. Sorry that I have enough strength to lead a self sustaining life. I have no family, I paid for everything on my own with absolutely zero starting money. Anyone with heart and decency can do the same to get to a bare minimum living standard. You want to support those who choose to live off the backs of others? No worries here.

To the rest of you, don't give money to the homeless. It is the money you have earned and not someone else's. Don't enable begging. If you care about the homeless then come up with solutions to get them back to work. Trustworthy people will work everyday to find any kind of job even if it is odds and ends off Craigslist. Untrustworthy people ask you for money. Don't do it.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Weren't you just complaining about haters taking over ATS?

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:49 AM
link   

a reply to: IAMNOTYOU

Exactly. Most of us make mistakes. I've made many and I still didn't beg. Sorry that I have enough strength to lead a self sustaining life. I have no family, I paid for everything on my own with absolutely zero starting money. Anyone with heart and decency can do the same to get to a bare minimum living standard. You want to support those who choose to live off the backs of others? No worries here.

To the rest of you, don't give money to the homeless. It is the money you have earned and not someone else's. Don't enable begging. If you care about the homeless then come up with solutions to get them back to work. Trustworthy people will work everyday to find any kind of job even if it is odds and ends off Craigslist. Untrustworthy people ask you for money. Don't do it.

Thats funny, cause it sounds like your telling us how to(or not to) spend it...

The Goverment/IRS keeps asking me for money, are you saying they are untrustworthy and i shouldnt pay them?

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I agree with everything you said, but still.... I will always give the lady near my home a 20 on Christmas. Or the week of..... I don't believe she will ever change her situation. Her sign always says "need money to feed kids" I'm of the opinion she probably doesn't even have children, but its not really my business. I give her the 20 every year, even though of course she never remembers me, and hope that her kids either get a Christmas meal, or that she gets a nice buzz on for the night. Its only 20 bucks. Shes always going to be begging anyways. If i can contribute to a small amount of relief/recreation for her I will. That is my one nice thing for the year, and the rest of the year, I'm an evil bitch.

Now, I don't ever give men money. I realize that's a bit sexist, but it's true, i just don't. I never have.

But yes, I'm of the opinion that MOST of them could change their situation and are either too mental, or too lazy to do it. They'd rather bum and manipulate others to dangle on that thread through life.

-Alee

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join