It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Even if its lifeless, i still think Jupiter should be classed as an enemy planet.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Sorry for the silly, title, but its from one of my favourite comedians (had to shorten it though)

Lets talk about Jupiter shall we? As some of you may know, Nasa's Juno spaceship is about to arrive at the gas giant and thanks in most part to the incredible engineers , astronomers and physcists over at Nasa and with a bit a luck, we should be looking at some stunning high res images of the deadly planet soon.

www.sbs.com.au...

Why do i say deadly? Well, i was astounded to read on Io's Wikipedia page that the moon received a frightening amount of radiation a day. In fact, it seems that Callisto is the only moon that humans could ever visit safely without extreme forms of radiation shielding.

these spacecraft also revealed the relationship between Io and Jupiter's magnetosphere and the existence of a belt of high-energy radiation centered on Io's orbit. Io receives about 3,600 rem (36 Sv) of ionizing radiation per day.

en.wikipedia.org...(moon)

So, rather than post lots of links, ill open up the floor, lets discuss our big friendly bully of a planet keeping us relatively safe from harm.
What are you guys expecting or oping to see from the Juno mission?

I vividly remember going to school in the late 80s and seeing the newspaper with Voyager 2's Neptune image plastered across the front page. To this day, i recall where i was standing when i saw it and the overwhelming awe i felt looking at that beautiful planet. Our solar system was so simple back then, 9 planets, a few moons, a big sun, asteroids and comets. We have learned do much since then and im really looking forward to seeing what Juno brings to the table.

On that note, i'm going to watch my favourite sci fi film, 2010. Where the unseen creators of the monolith turn jupiter into a mini sun to start life going on Europa.
So much wrong with that idea, but still a great film.

edit on 14-6-2016 by 3danimator2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

So is this something like the Van Allen belt, but on Jupiter?

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I read the title and was all ready to defend Jupiter. W/O that big chunk of gas , we would probably not be here . Think Shoemaker- Levy . If Jupiter was an evil planet and let it bypass that immense gravitational field...possibility no more life and 1/2 a planet here .

If you are going to watch 2010 , you have to watch 2001 first . And thanks for an idea for me on tonight's entertainment.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Here is Junos trajectory to the planet. I cant be the only one who finds these beautiful to look at. I realise that these kind of mechanics are relatively straightforward mathematically, but that does little to diminish my awe every time i see one animated.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Ha yeah, I came in to this thread rolling my sleeves up thinking,
"Who the f is talking crap about my bud Jupiter".

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

I know there will be a lot of scientific data that's completely obscure to the public, but there will also be some spectacular photos of Jupiter and its swirly colourful clouds in unprecedented detail, so I'm very much looking forward to those.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: BelowLowAnnouncement

Yeah , I have a tendency to make people and things that save my life a lot my best fiends

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
I read the title and was all ready to defend Jupiter. W/O that big chunk of gas , we would probably not be here . Think Shoemaker- Levy . If Jupiter was an evil planet and let it bypass that immense gravitational field...possibility no more life and 1/2 a planet here .

If you are going to watch 2010 , you have to watch 2001 first . And thanks for an idea for me on tonight's entertainment.

Im sorry buddy, i cant get into 2001. As a piece of cinema history, its up there. Broke and created many moulds for the film industry. But its a bitboring.

2010 has it all. Great perfoemances, great FX, great cast and (for me), one fo the most hair raising moments ever put to film.

When Bowman comes back to tell them to leave because he knows what the designers are going to do to Jupiter, and HAL informs Doctor Floyd of Bowmans message and that he cant locate the source of the message (Bowman is speaking directly to HAL at this point through space time, although HAL doesnt know its Bowman). Doctor Floyd tells HAL to reply that he cant take this warning seriously unless he knows who sent it...and HAL says

"...the answer is "I understand, turn around""

Of course you have to watch it, the tension and drama and silence in the ship at that point all lead to this bit being very dramatic.

Sh*t, i got goosebumps just writing that.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

I know there will be a lot of scientific data that's completely obscure to the public, but there will also be some spectacular photos of Jupiter and its swirly colourful clouds in unprecedented detail, so I'm very much looking forward to those.

Will this data be available to the public ?

Since you are very much more clued up than most of us on all things space related, is the primary mission here to study its magnetic field and radiation belt or is it just a general all rounder like Cassini (i know it wont survive as long)

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: BelowLowAnnouncement

Yeah , I have a tendency to make people and things that save my life a lot my best fiends

I know, its just a comedian from the late 80's early nineties who says very obscure things in a dead pan voice. Hes really really funny and his line is

"Whether they find life there or not, I think Jupiter should be considered an enemy planet."

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

But its a bit boring.

And there is the proof you have watched both

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Quite incredible that this amateur astronomer caught part of Shomaker-Levy detonating on imapact from earth. Wow

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 05:54 PM
link   

But its a bit boring.

And there is the proof you have watched both

Oh, i have, a few times. But ive seen 2010, probably 20-30 times in my life so far. I love every single frame of it.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   

enterprisemission.com...

Did NASA Accidentally “Nuke” Jupiter?

I know i am going to get slaughtered for Hoagland but it is a interesting article

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I have to disagree with the "enemy" status of Jupiter, and I count it as a friend, savior.

Without Jupiter being where it is, Earth would most likely get hit with a lot more asteroids and comets than it does now. But Jupiter helps fling ones headed our way out and away.

So Jupiter is sort of like your furnace: keeps you nice and warm, but don't get too close or it will burn you.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Shhh....to me 2001 was highly overrated.And I was there on release day.
Yeah , I said it. Now what ?
And HAL is
H-I
A-B
L-M
Think about that one....
Was it just a commercial ?

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
I have to disagree with the "enemy" status of Jupiter, and I count it as a friend, savior.

Without Jupiter being where it is, Earth would most likely get hit with a lot more asteroids and comets than it does now. But Jupiter helps fling ones headed our way out and away.

So Jupiter is sort of like your furnace: keeps you nice and warm, but don't get too close or it will burn you.

Of course, i know that.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Yeah , I said it. Now what ?

They are coming to arrest you. Or so those who defend that film would probably like. I agree, i said a bit boring so not to be judged. Ok, its VERY boring as a film.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: stonerwilliam

enterprisemission.com...

Did NASA Accidentally “Nuke” Jupiter?

I know i am going to get slaughtered for Hoagland but it is a interesting article

Well, i dont know about that, but they are going to crash Cassini into Saturn next year. I guess that can kind of be considered nuking another planet. Juno has solar panels only (the biggest of any probe actually) since NASA in its shortsightedness 10 years ago didnt realise it was running out of Plutonium and so had to keep it for special missions. No radioactive material on Juno.

Some pieces of kit on it might have miniscule amounts in them, i dont know.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Dude, i sent you a U2U...or will after i write this

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join