It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London's new Muslim mayor takes aim at sexy subway ads

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Believing women's political views is based on their looks (or indeed vice versa) seems pretty sexist in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

Oh what? How can a weight loss ad featuring women who maintain a proper diet be a bad thing in the country that is right behind the US in its severity of adult and child obesity epidemic?? This man is trying to utilize angry feminists and embarrassed obese people to strike down not only free speech, but a healthy body image. One that is not prone to diabetes, heart disease, high cholesterol/blood pressure, back pains and loss of breath from getting up to answer the door?

This man is not concerned for any of that, he just wants to make sure women are covered up and 'don't go around asking to be raped or assaulted' by empowering themselves to display a body that takes a lot of work and proper diet to achieve.

We should be praising the dedication women have to maintaining a fit and healthy body instead of shaming the companies for showing models that do NOT CHOOSE to eat like ignorant slobs with no regard to their health or how a premature death from the complications of having an unhealthy body will affect their family.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
One thing is morality by social standards, then is morality enforced by religious views and believes foreign to the nation where this morality is been trying to get enforced by minority groups.

While one is common way of view by all and a call for decency, the problem arise when the enforced morality is targeting a particular group or gender.

That is when people will start to see that is an agenda behind the change.

Opinions are like butt holes everybody have one and is ok to voice opinions in a free society, but when those opinions start to affect certain targeted group then is call oppression.

Beware London.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Doom and Gloom
a reply to: Ohanka

My goodness, you live there you didn't get the memo? your government will now regulate how you advertise. Tsk tsk read your inbox!

Or alternatively local government makes decision on what adverts can be shown on local government property.
Doesn't quite sound so dramatic like that through does it?

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Still a form of oppression of Free Speech. Regardless of what color lens you choose to view it through.

link   

originally posted by: RustyNailer
I really dislike muslims...one notch below hate. Why are they even on this planet?

Hate the religion, not its adherents. I have no use whatsoever for the Abrahamic religions, but those who follow them are truly convinced they're right to the point of death in many cases. As long as they do not infringe on the rights of others, and are not violent, I see no reason to hate people for their faith.

In this case, I think the mayor has better things to do with his time, than trying to find seemingly legitimate excuses to bend Western civilization toward his sensitive sensibilities, and his misogynistic tendencies.
edit on 6/14/2016 by Klassified because: Although not convinced, stricken due to information from Neformore and others.

link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

I would imagine that someone posted it by now, but according to this article, the ads were taken down last year:

From April of 2015:

London Underground to remove ‘offensive’ slimming adverts… as more posters are defaced and 50,000 people sign petition to ban them.

Maybe the ads went back up?

edit on 14-6-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014
So pleasant, seeing americans, foreigners etc pulling the legs of their london friends........or is it an attempt by a machiavelic mind pulling the strings to ultimately DIVIDE AND RULE!.... Conspiracy alert!!!

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

How about you read my post ?

There has been considerable debate in this country about such posters, and the advertising standards authority has banned certain images showing size zero models, because of continued issues with eating disorders such as anorexia.

This is part of the wider national picture.

You're just slipping in a bucket load of assumed bigotry into your post to suit your particular view of the world.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The mayor of London, who seems like rather a nice man to me, gives an opinion as a father of two teen age girls, who as a group are notorious for body image issues, and suddenly Sharia Law is everywhere, we're all doomed.

OK, folks, step away from the caffeine, maybe try the decaf.

Some of you are acting like, and sounding like, hateful little zealots yourselves. Much like Daesh, truth to tell.

He expressed an opinion as a dad. Nothing more, nothing less.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

link   

originally posted by: Morrad
Did you actually check on his family? This is him with his wife and two teenage daughters. Not a burqa in site.

This picture does not empower him to overstep his jurisdiction and pass laws that discriminate against legally clad women, albeit sexy or scanty, legally clad women. Those discrimination laws are Federal and even if they put this picture trying to show he's moderate, when he's passing discriminatory rules and laws outside his jurisdiction, it kind reminds me of a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Look at the picture but ignore the illegal move I'm trying to make and ignore that I am acting as if I have more power and am a king of London, not just a paper pushing civil servant mayor!

The law doesnt give him this jurisdiction and as I said, one law suit will put him in his lowly place.

link   

originally posted by: UnManifested
a reply to: 3danimator2014
So pleasant, seeing americans, foreigners etc pulling the legs of their london friends........or is it an attempt by a machiavelic mind pulling the strings to ultimately DIVIDE AND RULE!.... Conspiracy alert!!!

No different than the constant ribbing they give us barbarians in America. What is your point. Arm chair quarterbacks, morally superior virtuous social justice warriors who do not mind their rights being trampled, and interwebz warriors rule this board.
edit on 14-6-2016 by Doom and Gloom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka I've actually seen some beautiful larger sized women in bathing suits that are by no means obese.
I just never see images of women in bathing suits posted around the city area in my town and people are still buying bathing suits to go to the beaches in my area with no problems to the stores/sellers of bathing suits.
If the mayor in London were to ban the wearing of bathing suits... then I most likely would see an issue... until then... if that happens, I don't see too big of an issue here.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Doom and Gloom
a reply to: ScepticScot

Still a form of oppression of Free Speech. Regardless of what color lens you choose to view it through.

Exactly my point,

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

You do not know what you are talking about.

As mayor of London, he runs Transport for London, and is perfectly entitled to request that modifications are made to what is advertised on the billboards that he is responsible for.

There is no federal law in the UK. There is British Law. He is working wholly within it.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Is he an enemy because he's a feminist?

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: neformore

for what its worth, and i don't have daughters, i'd like to see a realignment of body image expectations in the west as well. and i don't want sharia law.

the london mayor isn't alone in his musings.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Found this on the tube. How an American can see this without weeping I will never know. And On-topic, CNN said the new London Mayor attended this.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

Do you have the slightest clue about British law or what British mayors are empowered with doing?

Do you even realize that London isn't in the United States and not subject to the Constitution?

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Sht... the tears finally came.

Thank you.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join