It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London's new Muslim mayor takes aim at sexy subway ads

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+31 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Well, that didn't take him very long...

The newly elected mayor of London's call for a ban on public ads that show scantily clad women has critics complaining the move has more to do with his Muslim roots than his concerns about "body-shaming."

Sadiq Khan, who became the city's first Muslim mayor in May, called for a ban on ads showing women in bikinis in a letter published in the Guardian, saying images such as the controversial "Beach Body Ready" one used by Protein World send a harmful message. The mayor is establishing a committee to make sure ads on subways and buses don't offend.

"As the father of two teenage girls, I am extremely concerned about this kind of advertising which can demean people, particularly women, and make them ashamed of their bodies," Khan wrote. "It is high time it came to an end.

And what do Londoners think is really going on here?

The move is not sitting well with critics who believe it is an accommodation to Muslim sensibilities. In strict Islamic society, women are supposed to dress "modestly," which can mean anything from a head scarf to a full burka with only eye slits.

"Muslim mayor banned ads with bikini-clad women on TFL. Stand by for adverts for burkinis," tweeted Daily Mail columnist Katie Hopkins, a fierce critic of the increasing influence of fundamentalist Islam on British culture.

London Mayor the new Morality Sheriff in Town?

Does the Mayor of London really have the authority to dictate what is, and what is not, "offensive" to the people of London...and then to unilaterally dictate what images can appear (and textual messages too I assume) in advertising that appears in the City?

If so then, just like Merkel's decision to be politically correct by allowing millions of undocumented Muslims into Germany and the rest of Europe, the people of London had better get ready to change their moral and other beliefs/behaviours to correspond with the (more dark ages) mores of Islamic society.

If you don't believe me, just check out what is happening in Sweden, Denmark and other places that are caving in to Muslim sensibilities - and telling their girls that they need to cover themselves up so that they do not offend Muslims...and so as not to incite Muslim men to rape them.

Have fun England!

+37 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Get this Shadow Sharia clown out of office please.

Sometimes I think this country would be better off if an Asteroid hit London, in more ways than one
edit on -050001pm6kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

+36 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

You reap what you sow. Enjoy your coming Sharia Law. Stop worrying about us Americans and our guns and deal with your own #e.

+35 more 
link   
Way to go UK!
Didn't take long for this to backfire on all involved.
I guess the mayor is not nearly as tolerant as those who voted for him.
One of the first issues he tackles.....ads of scantily clad women.

link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

Sometimes I think this country would be better off if an Asteroid hit London, in more ways than one

What about Syria? Iran? North Korea? What about.....your house for making such a wild idea that would change the world we live in today?!

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   
No more bikinis in ads on buses?

edit on 14-6-2016 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

Thank you for wishing death on me, my family and my friends. And millions of others. What a pleasant chap. You are brainwashed into thinking london is as you seem to think it is.

You are being lied to.

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
The problem is, it only takes one law suit to topple this clown.

Because matters of discrimination and violations of constitution tend to be FEDERAL MATTERS in all western nations.

He has limited powers.

No one has to follow his suggestions but if any do, lawsuits.

+12 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

This story is a lie?
The "mayor" of london did not remark about ads featuring scantily clothed women?

+39 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Awww little London is taking it's first baby steps towards Sharia Law

So cute

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
When i read this yesterday in a german newspaper, i had top leave a comment.

First of all, there is nothing against banning any ads, i would be happy never ever to be forced to see any of them again.

But this here, it is because of the so called snowflakes.
Because ugly, fat, unfit people could be disturbed by the beauty and fitness of the beautiful models.

Whats next, do not ugly and fat people have to wear hijabs in the future, to not disturb the ugly, fat and unfit people with their presence?

Guess why there are no ugly, fat and unfit people on these ads. Because the minority of idiots ,those where this ads have an effect, wouldn´t be affected anymore by those ads, they wouldn´t buy that useless stuff anymore...

Thats how it is, reality

edit on 14 6 2016 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

(post by RustyNailer removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
+4 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody
Way to go UK!
Didn't take long for this to backfire on all involved.
I guess the mayor is not nearly as tolerant as those who voted for him.
One of the first issues he tackles.....ads of scantily clad women.

Hahaha. ..you guys are such a joke.

Backfiring? All he's suggesting is less flesh on huge posters displayed in public places. Considering the other concensus on ATS is that the world has degenerated and gone downhill with fewer morals and kids and teens being sexualised too early, you would have thought you guys would agree with Khan .

Oh..he's muslim. I forgot. My bad.

I swear to god some days I think everyone on this board is trolling

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Doom and Gloom

Well, I personally don't worry about your guns, I think it's great you have the freedom to have them, I think you should enjoy that freedom as long as you have it and wish I had similar freedoms, but that's as far as my personal concern goes.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bennyzilla
Awww little London is taking it's first baby steps towards Sharia Law

So cute

So pathetic that you belive this

+21 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Is he also going to censor men in bathing suits and underwear?

link   

originally posted by: RustyNailer
I really dislike muslims...one notch below hate. Why are they even on this planet?

WOW. This is the state of ATS folks.

link   
Does the Sun still do the picture on page 3?

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Hahahaha. If you didn't see this coming I feel sorry for you.

Such prudes in London! Sally forth.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Did you actually check on his family? This is him with his wife and two teenage daughters. Not a burqa in site.

edit on 14-6-2016 by Morrad because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join