It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama responds to Trump, calls for assault weapon ban and more.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Owning a gun is not a religion. Maybe a double meaning in that there picture. You see it one way as I see it another. Too each his or her own ..eh!

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance
What a moron.

He states there is nothing magical about calling it what it is - islamic terrorsm.

He then goes on to say that using such rhetoric magically puts the US in more danger and not using it macically makes us safer.

It's not magic. It's strategy, and it shouldn't require this much explanation to grasp it. Obama did an excellent job explaining it so I'm not going to repeat it.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

Calling an act of terrorism what it is is too "political", but using that act as an excuse to ban guns isn't???

What's really bad is, this guy believes his own nonsense.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.

Owning a gun is not a religion. Maybe a double meaning in that there picture. You see it one way as I see it another. Too each his or her own ..eh!

I know.

I'm not the one who compared them. As I see it.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: misskat1
a reply to: jimmyx

We cant deport our own natural born citizens, but they can go to jail if they promote murder.

Really?

How about this Sacramento Baptist Pastor. And don't tell me he isn't a real Christian.

The latest "kill the gays" pastor is by no means alone. YouTube today took down video of a Sacramento preacher who said with incredible clarity that LGBT people deserved to be murdered in Orlando. But don’t stop there, said Roger Jimenez in the sermon at Verity Baptist Church.

“I wish the government would round them all up, put them up against a firing wall, put a firing squad in front of them, and blow their brains out,” he said, according to clips shared by KOVR, the CBS station in Sacramento.

Jimenez seemed outraged that anyone would expect Christians to stand in solidarity with those who were killed in the massacre early Sunday. “Are you sad that 50 pedophiles were killed today?” he said in the sermon. “Um, no, I think that’s great! I think that helps society. I think Orlando, Fla., is a little safer tonight.” He added, “We don’t need to do anything to help. As far as I’m concerned, Orlando is just a little safer tonight.” Jimenez, who called the victims “vile, perverted predators,” is being treated by the media as a lone voice in religion. And while he’s surely the minority, he’s not alone. www.advocate.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Hes a hypocrite and a anti christ calling for the deaths of innocent people. Christian in name alone and you know that im sure. man that preacher needs to be de frocked.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Hes a hypocrite and a anti christ calling for the deaths of innocent people. Christian in name alone and you know that im sure. man that preacher needs to be de frocked.

You see, that's just it.

Muslim's keep saying "he's not a real Muslim" because of something said or done.

But, many on ATS - - will not accept that.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Verity Baptist Church

Don't they sound nice? He's indoctrinating the children with Christian belief.

He isn't just a pastor, he's got a whole flock.

Verity Baptist Church is a Homeschool friendly church that ministers to homeschool families through our church’s homeschool group and ministries. Any family that is actively homeschooling and an active member of Verity Baptist Church is welcomed to join in our monthly homeschool field trip (during the school year). The field trip is free of charge to our homeschool families, the cost is covered by the church. We also offer a P.E. Class for the homeschool children of Verity Baptist Church. The class is held every other week during the school year and is free of charge to all families who are actively homeschooling and active members of the church. Lastly, every summer Mrs. Joann Jimenez (the Pastor’s wife and a current homeschooling mother) puts on a free Homeschool Seminar for the ladies of Verity Baptist Church. This Seminar is professionally catered and is meant to help the homeschooling mothers of our church to prepare and get excited about the upcoming school year. www.veritybaptist.com...

edit on 14-6-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Put him in Jail too. There is no room or excuse to preach murder and violence from any pulpit. I dont care which religious book is being preached, encouraging violence must be stopped.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96
The epic fail is complete by virtue of Obama not
being able to steer the narrative any more. The
terrorists are clearly defined and not external.
His days are numbered, and they are his lashes.

We can argue forever what the sole root cause
of the problem is, as long as the media and the
government are framing the argument. But whan
the aforementioned ARE the cause, where's the
wakeup call? Thanks as always, Neo. Nailed as usual...

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Can you point me to the verse where Jesus tells them to kill the infidels? I'm betting in a quran vs NT quote-off, you're going to come up short.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5
I am of the mind that most of the Muslim world shares...In the Muslim world they call them "Daesch"....similar to the Arabic word for "sowers of discord," which are enemies of Islam or "bigoted oppressor"..

I have no interest in legitimizing the false religious justification that ISIL or "Daesch" claims..And frankly it boggles my mind that people would be so eager to assign them religious justification as they so desperately seek.

But, what about the times here in America where people are labeled bigots, or racists, or homophobic, even when they are not, just based on the perception of the media or people with the loudest microphones at the time? Or what about labeling someone a right- or left-wing extremist, knowing full well that they certainly don't represent the majority of said "wing" of politics?

When we get into this we-can't-call-someone-something-because-it-might-hurt-other's-feelings argument and use it as justification to NOT use a certain terminology, we reduce the ability to effectively communicate what motivates a particular group--in this case, it's a strict (and perverted) interpretation of Islam's teachings.

We should not censor ourselves based on the least-common denominators in society who are incapable of separating the two groups--IslamicTerrorists and your everyday Muslim. To play to the LCD of society is to dumb down society as a whole, and honestly, I'd prefer to use appropriate language and ensure that it be noted that the two groups are not the same instead of passively contributing to the decline of the median intelligence of the world.

ETA: But if it makes any difference, I'd prefer to call them the name that those of the native language call them, but do those of the native language use that term for other terrorist groups as well? Seems like a pretty generic term--like me, when I refer to most politicians as "asshat."
edit on 15-6-2016 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Obama sounded 'defensive' to me.

Definitely!

Trump got under his skin on that one.

I thought it was funny that he almost lost it. lol!!

All that was needed was his bedi bedi bedi bedi okie doke!

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

I am of the mind that most of the Muslim world shares...In the Muslim world they call them "Daesch"....similar to the Arabic word for "sowers of discord," which are enemies of Islam or "bigoted oppressor"..

I have no interest in legitimizing the false religious justification that ISIL or "Daesch" claims..And frankly it boggles my mind that people would be so eager to assign them religious justification as they so desperately seek.

When we get into this we-can't-call-someone-something-because-it-might-hurt-other's-feelings argument

It's a false narrative...Calling someone the N-word is offensive...

"Daesch" or ISIL or ISIS etc. WANTS to be called "Islamic"..they desperately want the ENTIRE Muslim world to be associated with them.

No one calls them "Daesch" or the generic "terrorists" etc. cuz they are afraid of hurting peoples feelings. It is a strategic decision to not give them the credibility they seek, nor to include the entire Muslim world, Mohamed Ali and all, in their cause...it's not accurate...but it is exactly what they want. Eff-them...they are a lot of things...but they don't get to claim they represent Muslims...Being Muslim and "representing" Muslims is two different things...ditto every other religion.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

Can you point me to the verse where Jesus tells them to kill the infidels? I'm betting in a quran vs NT quote-off, you're going to come up short.

Ahh..I see. You are pretending that the Old Testament is not God's words?

Christianity is very clear...Jesus is God in the flesh..the same God who instructs King Saul to attack the Amalekites in Samuel, Book 1:
"Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and nursing infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys."

And Jesus was clear that he was a continuation of the Old Testament laws..
Matthew 5:17 Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.

Alas...the Bible was often cited during Colonists wars with American Indians as not only a justification, but a religious mandate to exterminate them all...man, women, child...in warfare.

Just a few examples:

(3) p. 143 -- When embarking on an expedition of Indian hunting, the Puritans entreated the Lord to direct them in their pillage and slaughter;

(4) p. 136 -- Concerning the Indians, the Puritans viewed themselves as the enforcers of "law and order" due to their view of themselves as God's "New World Zion," a reconstructionist view of history, to say the least (see also p. 138, where the Indians are viewed as "Satan's horde," thus justifying their slaughter);

(5) p. 141 -- The Puritans were not content to merely kill their perceived enemies; they saw fit to murder and savagely mutilate them -- they literally "tore him [a captured Pequot] limb from limb. Captain Underhill ended the victim's agony with a pistol shot.

(6) pp. 144-145 -- In one of the Pequot massaquers of 1637, not only was the Indian village set on fire, those men, women, and children not fortunate enough to be burned to death were gunned down as they tried to escape the flames. Captain Mason "gave full credit to God" for the slaughter, while Captain Underhill claimed the Pequots had sinned against God and man, and thus, "We had sufficient light from the word of God for our proceedings"!

(7) p. 148 -- Not content to take prisoners, the Puritans "exterminate[d] the remnant"; those they were unable to capture themselves, they delegated the killing to civilians, requiring the heads of the targeted Indians as evidence of their deaths (see also p. 149);

www.rapidnet.com...

I don't think the argument that somehow Christianity itself is less vulnerable to extremist violence holds any water.

Any religion...given the proper climate can be exploited for evil.

edit on 15-6-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

You see, that's just it.

Muslim's keep saying "he's not a real Muslim" because of something said or done.

Yeah i totally agree. we wont blame the person responsible. we always jump on the whole thing for some reason. I guess because its easier to label them all instead of actually thinking.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Indigo. read the bible carefully. at the beginning of the OT is states who this is for. The hebrews and jews specifically.
See the OLD COVENENT applies to them. Jesus when he came fulfilled the old covenant. That one still applies to the people specified above.

gentiles aka christians are of the new covenant. See jesus has a less ambitious set of things we are to do because we are not the chosen ones to be tested like they are to be tested. See he never abolished th eold law but th eold law dont apply specifically to gentiles/'christians. We are under the Grace covenant.

This is where people mis understand and call christians hypocrites. the "bible" is 2 sepeprate books. the OT is a HISTORY for the rest of us. We arent under tha same law. we are under Grace itself. THAT is how we can not be breaking the law.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   

If we were talking Orthodox Jews, then the OT would be more relevant. But the question was about Christianity, no?

Any religion...given the proper climate can be exploited for evil.

If you've got to go back to Puritans and Indians, you've made my point.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   

It's a false narrative...Calling someone the N-word is offensive...

"Daesch" or ISIL or ISIS etc. WANTS to be called "Islamic"..they desperately want the ENTIRE Muslim world to be associated with them.

No one calls them "Daesch" or the generic "terrorists" etc. cuz they are afraid of hurting peoples feelings. It is a strategic decision to not give them the credibility they seek, nor to include the entire Muslim world, Mohamed Ali and all, in their cause...it's not accurate...but it is exactly what they want. Eff-them...they are a lot of things...but they don't get to claim they represent Muslims...Being Muslim and "representing" Muslims is two different things...ditto every other religion.

That only works on stupid people, and I will concede that there are quite a few stupid people in the world.

But the reality of life is that it makes perfect sense to have a modifier before the word "terrorist" so that we know who we're talking about, because assumptions are the tool of the ignorant. When we're discussing terrorism, I want to know what type and from where it originates and what is its claimed motivating factor. For "Daesch," it's their interpretation of the Q'uran, and therefore they are motivated by the teachings of Islam.

If we were talking about the Irish Republican Army, or Boko Haram (which is motivated by Islam as well), or Somali Pirates, or any of these groups who use terroristic threats and actions as a way to advance an agenda or goal, I want it to be described to me. Just calling everyone who uses terrorism as a tactic a "terrorist" leaves too much open to speculation.

Again, I will not forfeit appropriate communication just because there are stupid people in the world. You can call it a "false narrative" all you want, but it's not.

And if you haven't listened to rap music since...well, since its inception, you mean that the N-word is only offensive if SOME people use it. I'm not a fan of selective political correctness.

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

If we were talking Orthodox Jews, then the OT would be more relevant. But the question was about Christianity, no?

Correct and the Old Testament is the foundation of Christianity. The same Old Testament God that demanded the complete slaughter and annihilation of "men, women, children and nursing infants" is the same God in the flesh "incarnate" Jesus Christ.

If you've got to go back to Puritans and Indians, you've made my point.

???? Said while defending a 2,000 year old book?

The Lords Resistance Army in Africa is the largest Christian Terrorist organization active today, but not the only one.
The KKK certainly qualify..

And there is the "Army of God"

the Army of God is an underground terrorist organization active in the United States formed in 1982. In addition to numerous property crimes, the group has committed acts of kidnapping, attempted murder, and murder.

en.wikipedia.org...(United_States)

Seriously...Watch this and then tell me that Christianity is immune from being exploited for terrorism..

Army of God in the USA

edit on 16-6-2016 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join