It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Owen Jones walks off set in Sky News interview about Orlando Shooting

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom
a reply to: SprocketUK

He didn't like it because he's spent his life trying to say that there's no problem with Islam, merely with our failing to accommodate it properly in the West.

Really? Owen spent his life trying to sympathize with Islam?

Sources please. Now.

Just because he's gay doesn't mean he is a leftist.

Google. He writes for the Guardian which does mean he's a leftist. You can find a load of his articles on theit site. He's a regular paper reviewer on Sky too and is pretty much always pushing the same angle.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 02:40 AM
link   
You all are totally missing my point.

Do you think I've outed myself here just to get stars & flags?

I don't want to be treated differently like I'm special because I am gay. I'm not a [SNIP]ing social justice warrior snowflake.

The real point of this thread was to point out that, just like in the US, our neighbors in the UK have a news media that manufactures words & phrases to capitalize on tragedy. And just like in the US, these reporters brought a guest on and spat on him, british style. Just like in the US, if you come on as a guest on a mainstream news program, you will be expected to adhere to their baseline. And if you refuse, you will be belittled and you will be subjected to defamation of character.

Think Bill O'reilly, Nancy Grace, Glen Beck, etc.

I can entertain the argument that storming off the set was like a childish temper tantrum. But the real outrage here is that they wouldn't even take the time to hear Owen's take on the event. Which is why I ask, why bring him on in the first place?

As I've said, Owen doesn't speak for the gay community, and neither do I. In fact, I don't want to speak for the gay community.

Just like these two FOXish reporters don't speak for all of the US or the UK.
edit on 14/6/2016 by Gemwolf because: Mod Edit: Removed censor circumvention

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

I really didn't feel that they were trying to spin this. They were just trying to express the view that it was an attack on us all.

Maybe because for a long time "All of us" has excluded lgbt people it might have come across differently and those communities have had so much grief for so long I couldn't really blame folks for feeling their hackles rise, but this definitely didn't strike me that way. It was more a case of cut one of us and we all hurt.
edit on 00pTue, 14 Jun 2016 02:47:00 -050020162016-06-14T02:47:00-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 02:53 AM
link   

So I found this article written by Owen:

www.theguardian.com...

It's about the spike in anti-muslim crime over in the UK. I see that he's addressed the broader issue of a society succumbing to fear and how it aides and abets Islamic terrorists.

What I don't see (maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough?) is him explicitly supporting an entire ideology.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Well you won't find it in the headlines, you have to read the articles to get a feel.
My mum always buys this paper so I get to read it whenever I'm round there. A huge proportion of his writing has the same tilt.

For example, from June 9 2014

"Israel under renewed Hamas attack": this was last night's BBC headline on the escalating bloodshed in Gaza. It is as perverse as Mike Tyson punching a toddler, followed by a headline claiming that the child spat at him."

See how inflammatory that language is?
Pretty much whenever he's on sky following some outrage like Charlie Hebdo, Brussels or Rotherham his main push is to try and disassociate the religion of the perpetrators from the acts.

Now, there is some merit to that, but to do it all the time is rather wearying.

And as I stated previously, the other two on the paper show weren't trying to belittle anyone's suffering or steal the tragedy from anyone.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Clearly I do not keep up with the UK to the same level as someone who was born and raised there. I retract my statement.

But those other two anchors are still tools.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Just glad I could provide some context and I know that whenever I need help understanding the US, this place has a ton of people who can provide that also

Well, Julia is a bit of a tool. I had to put her right on twitter once over some rubbish she posted about train driver's wages and she wasn't best pleased. In this though I think her heart was in the right place even if her mouth wouldn't stop flapping.

Mark, the Sky bloke, though is a really decent anchor and pretty much always tries to find the middle way with whoever is on his show.

Maybe they were all a bit frazzled because of just how awful the attack was and could see it happening in this country too?

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 03:23 AM
link   

[SNIP]

What you see in this video is you have 1 woman who wants to talk about gun control, 1 man who wants to talk about the ISIS affiliation and one Gay men who says he is married to a muslim man who does not want to talk about muslims or isis.

The whole interview is a clusterF* of agenda's

edit on America/ChicagovAmerica/ChicagoTue, 14 Jun 2016 03:24:20 -05001620166America/Chicago by everyone because: (no reason given)

edit on 14/6/2016 by Gemwolf because: Mod Edit: Removed large quote

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 03:50 AM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Here is Julia's take on the whole debacle.
Bear in mind that the Telegraph is a conservative paper and she a conservative writer.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Considering the Islamic religion clearly condemns homosexuals, this attack was directed at the LGBT patrons of that club. It's just another example of how this religion incites violence and justifies murdering homosexuals. To claim this was just a hate crime against the LGBT community and not driven by this lunatic's Islamic belief is just using this incident to gain attention to LGBT hate crime. Again, it was DRIVEN by Islamic beliefs.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Sorry, I dont see it as an attack on just the LGBT community... its an attack on American citizens (for the most part I am sure some non-citizens were there) I dont care that the victims were gay, because someones sexual orientation is none of my business.

What I saw was innocent Americans butchered like sheep...

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
I do think that if you are on a no fly list, your right to own a gun should be temporarily suspended until things are cleared up. What would have helped though is if there were a lot more concealed guns being carried by everyday joes in that club.

Oh the irony. The shooter was , until that moment, a regular joe at that very club!!

DUH!.

For some reason you US folks just don't get the link do you........

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

He didn't like it because he's spent his life trying to say that there's no problem with Islam, merely with our failing to accommodate it properly in the West.

Really? Owen spent his life trying to sympathize with Islam?

Sources please. Now.

Just because he's gay doesn't mean he is a leftist.

Google. He writes for the Guardian which does mean he's a leftist. You can find a load of his articles on theit site. He's a regular paper reviewer on Sky too and is pretty much always pushing the same angle.

He's also the most irritating guest on Question Time (UK politics show) ever and it's very rare he lets anyone else voice their opinion on anything - particularly if they don't share his opinion. Whatever your points on anything else, he's a seriously bad example to use as a victim in any chat show environment.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Why can't gays just be gay , no need to ponce about telling everyone .

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Denoli
Why can't gays just be gay , no need to ponce about telling everyone .

And half the gays are only gay because there ugly and can't attract the opposite sex anyway .

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Isis is winning in the area of dividing people of the US and here at ATS. There are now calls of gun control EVEN THOUGH Mateen was a security cleared agent of G4S with possible access to all types of weapons, and, undoubtedly weapons AND explosives training.

There are calls for entering Muslims to be vetted more intensely which I agree with. However, Mateen is an American and THIS is something we have to recognize and deal with, also!

My point is: We are being divided and conquered with all the BS rhetoric on the main stream media. We will do something about this and I hope it is somehow dealing with such a hateful "so called" religion.

We must stand together as Americans! Regardless of whether you like or dislike gays, guns or Muslims, we've got to ALL come together as ONE and fight for our country and our way of life as given to us by our US Constitution.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad

originally posted by: SaturnFX
I do think that if you are on a no fly list, your right to own a gun should be temporarily suspended until things are cleared up. What would have helped though is if there were a lot more concealed guns being carried by everyday joes in that club.

Oh the irony. The shooter was , until that moment, a regular joe at that very club!!

DUH!.

For some reason you US folks just don't get the link do you........

He was no regular joe, he has a AR 15, a handgun, and a knife..came in shooting.
If there was 10 other Mofos in that club with guns in their belt, he would have hit maybe a dozen people before he himself would be taken out by one of the others in the club.

DUH
clearly wherever you are at, the education system failed you.

The old west was a very polite society, I guess you dont get the link.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:31 PM
link   
My fear is that if we paint this as a hate crime against the lgbt community, we lose sight of the bigger picture.

The bigger picture is that this was a radical Islamic attack. He chose a soft target. Maximum impact. Low police, ambulance and emergency response cover.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Doesn't matter if it's called mass murder , terrorism or a hate crime 49 people ,maybe more , were killed by an idiot with a gun , terrorism is just a tag and not really appropriate here.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Sad state of affairs when our president cant call it for what it was. I wish some one n the pulse had a concealed carry, and shot that piece of hate right when he pulled out his weapons. He was a coward.

I don't understand.... "can't call it what it is".....what difference does it make.....do you really think that he doesn't know who the enemy is?.....that is what you are implying, and it is a naïve and meaningless statement

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join