It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Christians and Muslims are Really Saying about the Orlando Tragedy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
When our hearts are hurting it's easy to hate and point fingers... But real leaders rise above to focus on healing and uniting with love and good will:

Christian Leaders Respond to Orlando Shooting: 'Praying for All Whose Lives are Connected'

The Rev. Franklin Graham responded to the shooting on his Facebook page:

"My prayers are with the many victims and family members who lost loved ones in the senseless shooting—now being called an act of terrorism—at a gay nightclub in Orlando early this morning. Life is precious, and we only have one chance to live our lives here on this earth."

5 Ways Christians Can Respond to the Orlando Shooting

The news of such violent atrocities comes to us so regularly nowadays that we may feel numb, helpless to know what to do or say after such events. But as followers of Christ we can’t simply shut out the pain and despair. We must bring light and healing.

These horrible events of recent years have targeted a wide variety of people: military personnel, movie-goers, elementary school children, and now patrons of a gay nightclub. All have dignity as made in the image of God. The death of any leads to mourning, whether they were targeted at random or not.

• Pray
  • Pause
  • Grieve
  • Love
  • Hope

Orlando Shooting: Russell Moore Urges Christians to Show Love of Jesus to Gay Community

Christian leaders mourned the victims of the deadliest mass shooting in recent U.S. history and expressed sympathy for the gay community, the target of the Orlando shooting suspect...

"Let's call our congregations to pray together. Let's realize that, in this case, our gay and lesbian neighbors are likely quite scared. Who wouldn't be?" Russell Moore, president of the Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission of the Southern Baptist Convention, wrote on his blog.

"Demonstrate the sacrificial love of Jesus to them. We don't have to agree on the meaning of marriage and sexuality to love one another and to see the murderous sin of terrorism," Moore added.

How Christians Should Respond to the Orlando Mass Shooting

This is an opportunity to show the other-worldly love of Jesus. Let’s lay down our condemnation and judgment towards a segment of society that we typically disagree with and mourn with them. Let’s not be angry at them. Let’s be angry for them. Christians have an opportunity to show love and compassion to two groups of people that we have historically alienated and condemned: the LGBTQ and Islamic communities. Christians, find a gay friend or an Islamic friend and express your heartfelt sympathy for this act of horror. I absolutely know Jesus would have done so.

Archbishop of Canterbury Responds to Orlando Massacre

After Sunday’s attack in Orlando, as Christians we must speak out in support of LGBTI people, who have become the latest group to be so brutally targeted by the forces of evil. We must pray, weep with those affected, support the bereaved, and love without qualification.

The obligation to object to these acts of persecution, and to support those LGBTI people who are wickedly and cruelly killed and wounded, bereaved and traumatised, whether in Orlando or elsewhere, is an absolute call on our Christian discipleship. It arises from the unshakeable certainty of the gracious love of God for every human being.

Now, in this time of heartbreak and grief, is a time for solidarity. May God our Father give grace and comfort to all who mourn, and divine compassion to us all.

Muslim Leader Calls for ‘Overwhelming Love’ in Response to Orlando Shooting

Shibly has a different message. “I think what’s important is they we stand united we offer the support for the victims that we can and don’t let the terrorists divide us and turn us against each other,” he told TIME in an interview outside an Orlando Hampton Inn, where families of victims had gathered. Shibly said Sunday was not a day for politics.

“Our concern right now is just supporting the victims and their families that’s the most important thing,” he said. “We need to stand united and we have our work cut out for us to provide unity and not allow hate to divide us.”

Muslim Americans rush to condemn Orlando massacre

In statement, the organization Muslim Advocates, which advocates for Muslim Americans, said it stands hand-in-hand with LGBT Americans in this moment of crisis.

"The LGBTQ community has stood side by side with the American Muslim community during challenging and difficult times. We stand together against hatred, violence and demonization of entire communities. Today, we stand in solidarity with the LGBTQ community. Your grief is our grief. Your outrage is our outrage. We are all one family," executive director Farhana Khera said in a statement.

Yesterday, local Muslim imam and community leader Muhammad Mursi addressed the media as part of a law enforcement briefing about the shooting...

On Facebook, he wrote: "I fully condemn the terrorist act in Orlando and the ideology that stands behind it. That is not ISLAM. Islam teaches peace not violence." He encouraged Muslims to donate blood and give to charity to help the victims' families.

After Orlando shooting, Muslim Americans show support for victims

The Florida chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations issued a statement that said, "We condemn this monstrous attack and offer our heartfelt condolences to the families and loved ones of all those killed or injured. The Muslim community joins our fellow Americans in repudiating anyone or any group that would claim to justify or excuse such an appalling act of violence."

The Muslim civil liberties organization is asking for blood donations to help those injured in the attack.

The American Muslim Community Centers, a mosque in Longwood, Fla., said the mosque stands with Americans and "senseless violence has no place in our religion or in our society."

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   
We have to separate the idea of Islam from the radicalization of it, but to get that idea going we need to politicians and those with influence on society to first acknowledge that radical islamic terrorism exists.

We can't even start to have a national conversation until everyone stops acting like it's not real.

Once we acknowledge it then we can begin to educate on the differences between the two.

No one with a sound mind looks at the Westboro Baptist Church and claims that's how all Christians are. Yet, no-one denies they exist. We need to apply the same tactics to Islam.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

This is the best post talking about this shooting I've seen on ATS, and I say this as one of ATS' more critical posters on Christianity. Instead of pointing fingers and bickering, we should be coming together as the OP suggests.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Bennyzilla

You could start with not getting so hung up on calling terrorism performed by Muslims "Islamic terrorism". Circling back to your point about WBC or other Christian hater groups, we don't call them "Christian terrorists" when they partake in terrorism. Yet this distinction MUST be made when a Muslim partakes in terrorism. Why?

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

We should stand together I agree.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Sadly, a lot of people are right now doing that.

Instead of pointing the finger for this squarely where it belongs, they are looking at us because Christians don't always accept the gay agenda whole-heartedly.

I may not agree with gay marriage, but I DO NOT hate gays nor would I ever, ever in my wildest fantasies think about murdering gays or think it just punishment either.

Most Christians fall into that line or more liberal than that, but because of the conflict created by political correctness. We're taking fire for what Muslims have done.

And this will be exactly like any other "national conversation" we have on a topic with parts of it protected by political correctness - NOTHING will be said that actually needs saying because the truth will offend and therefore cannot be uttered. Just think about the national conversation we have had about race.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Agreed when Christians perform acts of terrorism maybe we should call it Christian terrorism, that idea doesn't bother me one bit.

Better would be if we just called all terrorism just that, Terrorism.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bennyzilla
Better would be if we just called all terrorism just that, Terrorism.

I literally say this in every thread talking about Muslim terrorism and everyone just yells at me and tells me I don't understand the issues.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bennyzilla
We have to separate the idea of Islam from the radicalization of it...

Yes! I agree wholeheartedly!

...but to get that idea going we need to politicians and those with influence on society to first acknowledge that radical islamic terrorism exists.

We can't even start to have a national conversation until everyone stops acting like it's not real.

I totally agree in spirit... but it's in the practice that I see a problem. At best, some politicians want to blur the truth while stirring the pot. At worst, some politicians are aiding and abetting and otherwise enable the murderous extremists for their own purposes. And then there's also everything in between. They won't have that conversation... so WE must. WE have to draw that clear distinction, and give credit where credit is due and our wrath where our wrath is due.

No one with a sound mind looks at the Westboro Baptist Church and claims that's how all Christians are. Yet, no-one denies they exist. We need to apply the same tactics to Islam.

Exactly. There are bad apples everywhere. Call the bad apples out for who and what they are -- loudly and proudly! -- and stop letting them ruin everything for everyone.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:32 PM
link   

We all do love to yell don't we. Debate in 2016 unfortunately.

Not that it's any consolation but I agree with you that terror is terror and should be called such.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Boadicea

This is the best post talking about this shooting I've seen on ATS...

Thank you.

...and I say this as one of ATS' more critical posters on Christianity.

Making this an especially special gesture on your part... and I appreciate that.

Instead of pointing fingers and bickering, we should be coming together as the OP suggests.

(Nothing to add -- just thought that bears repeating!!!)

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Considering that terrorism is an attempt to impose an agenda through acts that create fear, it's useful to know exactly what the perpetrators are hoping to achieve through their reign of terror.

For example, a mass shooting like VA Tech or Columbine differs from what happened in Orlando and San Bernardino in the sense that those shooters did not want to change the way anyone did anything. They had no agenda to impose. They just wanted to take as many people out with them as they could.

In Orlando and San Bernardino, what we refuse to recognize is that the ideology at work has long declared Western Civilization with the US especially as it's enemies. It is at war with us, even if we bend over backwards to attempt to not be at war with it. We, as a nation, have been called to Islam by various terrorist leaders in various ways, and the playbook says if you have been called and refuse to convert, then you are fair game to be eliminated. Look it up. So they come here or radicalize and are told it is their duty to advance the cause of Islam which is similar to the idea of the gospel being preached in every corner of the world only that in this case all the world must be for Allah, by force if necessary.

That's why they do what they do, and they don't care if they die because if they die advancing the cause of Islam, they are martyrs who earn the best possible rewards in Paradise.

And THAT is the discussion no one is having because apparently we are too stupid to understand that this is a radical interpretation of Islam, and we must instead be told over and over that Islam wouldn't have anything to do with any of this ... ever. Well, there certainly is an ideology at work here. I've just described it, and it would be useful to give it a name, so we CAN talk about it and educate people as to just exactly what is going on.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
...they are looking at us because Christians don't always accept the gay agenda whole-heartedly.

What exactly is the 'gay agenda'? I never can get a clear answer on this. Are they going to try and make you look fabulous while they play show tunes?

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

You could start with not getting so hung up on calling terrorism performed by Muslims "Islamic terrorism". Circling back to your point about WBC or other Christian hater groups, we don't call them "Christian terrorists" when they partake in terrorism. Yet this distinction MUST be made when a Muslim partakes in terrorism. Why?

Good point and food for thought. Thank you for pointing that out. I'm probably guilty as well. And in thinking about it, just using the term gives it a certain credibility or legitimacy (for want of a better word)... it gives it energy it doesn't deserve... fuel for the fire so to speak.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

...they are looking at us because Christians don't always accept the gay agenda whole-heartedly.

What exactly is the 'gay agenda'? I never can get a clear answer on this. Are they going to try and make you look fabulous while they play show tunes?

The gay agenda, didn't you know...?

edit on 13-6-2016 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That's for another thread. Suffice it to say that if you do not bend over backwards to accept and approve of every single thing the LBGT lobby wants ...

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

*whew*

I thought they were gonna try an infect us with the gay.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

As to naming this ideology ... I don't care what we call it. Perhaps some of the resident Muslims would like to chime in since it is their religion that is getting maligned by them.

link   
Pure idiocy. Why do people only believe in parts of a "holy" book? Homosexuality is condemned in these two religions. It is a punishable act.

I don't understand it. Are all religious folk so desperate for belief that they will ignore versus that don't pertain to modern society?

link   

That's for another thread.

You brought it up.

Suffice it to say that if you do not bend over backwards to accept and approve of every single thing the LBGT lobby wants ...

You mean like equal rights?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join