It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Wal-Mart good or bad for us?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 11:54 AM
link   
While cruising the net, I came across PBS website (pretty good, ya'll need to check it out) and they have a program about the consequences of our countries dependence on walmart. I have always known about their hard line policies about purchasing. What I didnt realize is the damage that they are inflicting on this country. It explains how Rubbermaid went from being the #1 company in the country to bankruptcy because of them. Also explains the way most of our manufacturing jobs are being sent to China.

After watching this I was sick to my stomache, so I drove to Wal-Mart and bought some pepto !
Wal-Mart Video here !!

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Wal-mart only cares about making more money and has found out a good way to do that is to open stores near small towns and drive out any mediocre local compitition. THen justify thier existance by the people shopping there and the number of low paid jobs they create.

There is a big dark secret of Wal-mart called the Double Wal-mart death. If a store isn't successful wal-mart pulls out and leaves the town an economical disaster because of all the business they drove out.

For years wally-mart has been trying to open up a supercenter near where I live. One supporter thought it was great because then she wouldn't have to drive 30 minutes to find decent clothing

FYI The Bush Family is also a big supporter of Wal-mart.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020
While cruising the net, I came across PBS website (pretty good, ya'll need to check it out) and they have a program about the consequences of our countries dependence on walmart. Snip

It explains how Rubbermaid went from being the #1 company in the country to bankruptcy because of them. Also explains the way most of our manufacturing jobs are being sent to China.

After watching this I was sick to my stomache, so I drove to Wal-Mart and bought some pepto !
Wal-Mart Video here !!

I only watched the rubbermaid portion and it clearly stated the failure was also do to lax management by rubbermaid Execs so you cannot put the whole blame on Walmart for their failure.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Wally world is taking over small town and running small business away. They bankrupt anything they get close too.

They are addictive and they tried to push their "value" brand to get other brand names out of business.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Yea the Quality went with the price's to. But then again arn't customers getten what they pay for? looks like there next target is the dollar general.
They won't be leaden much longer History will show you no retail chain has ever stayed number one. Someone will develope a better trick.

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Funny there should be a thread about this. Here is a quote from a blog of mine back in October/November:

When will Jesus Bring The Porkchops?
Obviously not my title, its George Carlin's new book, of which has been banned from Wal-Mart. Got to love the old Nazi’s at Wal-Mart. Why, we're a family store, nothing offensive here, move along...move along. I guess they are unaware that their mere existence is just as offensive. But alas, I must be the only one that feels this way. Tell you what; I go out of my way not to shop at Wal-Mart. I'll go so far as to pay twice as much for something before even stepping foot in a Wal-Mart. You can call me stupid, I can deal with that, but I have the satisfaction of still owning my soul. You on the other hand, can have your bargain; leave your soul at the door on the way out. Enough about big bad W.......

That should sum up my feelings on Wal-Mart....

Boba

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Wallmart...being the #1 employer in America (2nd is the Military).......
...makes it SO EASY for us as consumers to shop there at low prices.

Trouble being that almost EVERYTHING they sell comes from China...giving China a vastly stronger ecconomic base than they previously had.....

Takes the cashflow OUT of America and hands it to China.....wave bye bye to ecconomic power. Ever wonder WHY China is rising on the ecconomic front???? You can Thank Wallmart for that....bend over and kiss your cash goodbye in the BIG picture.

Wallmart Bankrupts American manufacturers, bankrupts small town stores...and so on and so on...

How nice it is to get all kinds of STUFF you need for home and family CHEAP and all under one roof, that alone keeps them STRONG....and the American society just loves convieniance, and Wallmart spoon feeds it to us......so few can resist.

I try HARD to not purchase ANYTHING made in China.....and along this creed I can hardly buy a thing from Wallmart.
Kmart on the other hand...has prices a tad higher, but the shelves are stocked with American made products..(dont allow Martha Stewert to chase you off)..Plus Blue Light Specials are really FUN!!!!.I choose to shop there and support the American ecconomic base instead of sending my money to China.

Its fun really.....to shop in the mom and pop places, going severall differant locations to gather the things you may need. It gets you out of the house and into the comunity.......Next time you need to go shopping, PLEASE give yourself more time to spend so that you can take advantage of the smaller places. Yes it is not as convieniant.....but life is supposed to be an adventure, and you can make an adventure in using your purchase power wisely.

Always remember to BUY AMERICAN!!!!! if you actually follow this rule, you will find Wallmart is not the place to spend your hard earned money.

Try COSTCO instead of SAMS CLUB....the food is much superior! and more American made itams for you to choose from. In answer to your question, I say Wallmart is BAD BAD for us.

[edit on 16-1-2005 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Yeah i agree they start out with cheap prices send the competion broke then put the prices up. They are the Price Setters, Not the Price cutters.I dont shop there on principal rather pay extra $ look after the little fellow down the road... But some people are drawn to there stores like magnets, Lurkers and compulsive buyers.....

posted on Jan, 16 2005 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I go there for basic stuff once I know that it's cheaper than other places. Items like dishwashing liquid, soap, paper towels, etc. etc. As far as clothes, electronics, dvds, etc. I got to Best Buy or the mall. I'd rather pay a little more for quality goods than save a few bucks on an inferior product. Plus I don't like Wallys censorship of music and I have found that CDs and DVDs are actually cheaper at BB to boot. So for basic stuff thatare cheaper but the same product I can get elsewhere Wally is ok but for other items no way. Oh, they do have a decent food section though, I can find alot of speciality goods I can't get at the supermarket.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   
i guess its a quagmire(sp?). On one hand, we want to pay the lowest prices, on the other hand, i dont want to put my fellow americans out of work. but as my friends and i discussed the other day, where can we go to work? where can an everyday schmo like me get a good paying job with benefits? without a degree? not really anywhere. I live in the steel belt and all manufacturing jobs are gone. the only way to get in to one is if your related. maybe once every other year, they open like 50 positions to the public. at which time they have a cattle call and literally like a 1000 people show up.

so unless your a cop or lawyer or sell something your pretty much screwed. i guess the question is why? i know wal-mart isnt to blame, but to a degree they are. i remember when they first took off, the big thing with them, was they touted themselves on selling mostly made in america. it seems theyve thrown that out the window now, as NOTHING i buy from there is. I would gladly buy american, if it didnt involve having to drive to 10 different stores. i wish someone would open a competitor to them that did exactly that. wishfull thinking, i suppose.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   
There maker will be an internet based Warehouse. With dropshippers lined up a mile deep. Everything will come to your front door if you don't like it after you have got it and played with it ship it back. type deal.
Also might even possibly be a place where you post what you wan't with a set of spec's, and the drop shippers bid to sell it to you putting you in Wal-marts shoe's. Giveing you the choice of quality and price.
However wal-mart is just a stepping stone. In the process. one thing for sure with the tec. crash it has slowed down the E-Commerce roll out's. But I have yet to see them stoped.
An alaskan lobster fisher man could sell directly to you cutting out the Warehouse's and ten middle men. Now can you hear the jobs crashing around the world? it's the small business back where they should be competeing on a level playing field.
In time it will all balance out. There will never be just one store in town and thats it "Wal-mart". how ever they are trying to convince you of this to get folks to give it up, and come on in an shop.
I'll stick to the net as much as possible dealing direct getten my bottom dollar price's from the guy's that make it and grow it in AMERICA.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
nmbvua,

i like the idea, but when me or the kids need some toilet paper, i dont really feel like ordering it and waiting..

i think what would really even the playing field, would be a Wal-Mart ish store that carries only made in america

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Sure there will be exceptions such as TP,Toothpaste, or a Six Pac.
But don't you think walmart is a bit large to operate just selling exceptions?
Here's the thing if you could make a list specify brand name's, price's and how long you wan't to accept price's or bid's . "At one place "wrather than hunten all over the net. It would simplafy online shopping. and when you got home tommarow from work it would all be in a recieveing area at your home. for 1/2 the price of walmart. many would make the change just as folks did when wal-mart came along.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
i remember when they had something like that. a place that you could order online and they would deliver everything from toilet paper to groceries. most times within a day.

i dont think it would fly becasue people are sensory creatures. we want to buy things that we can feel, smell and sometimes taste. sure some would use it, but would it be enough to sustain a business? the last one didnt, but if someone had accsess to what went wrong and fixed it, it nots a bad idea at all

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
yea I agree.
here's a link that may help others see it straight from wal-mart.

www.walmartstores.com...

take a look at there suplier standards.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
If you thought Wal-Mart operating in small towns was bad, just wait until they open more urban stores. I work in the first prototype urban supercenter in Tampa, Fl. The albertsons right next to us as well as the Winn Dixie less han a mile away are like a ghost town a majority of the time now and a couple of Kash n Karry's are looking the same. Not only with a supercenter here stealing their customers, we got 2 Neighborhood market grocery stores strategically located within the city which they have to compete with as well. The customer flow is just insane,and after noon its pretty hard to move about most of the day. Gotta love killing the competition
Anyways im only working for them until I am done getting my business degree thanks to a small scholarship I got through them being a high school graduate and all. Id definetly say Wal-Mart has great benefits.

As far as Chinese goods ruining this country, I could care less its the ignorant sheep who are causing it anyways. My life plans dont include staying in this country anyways not much good left will come from here if the European Union finally decides to actually become one entity. NATO would consist of like EU and U.S. pretty much and who knows what will happen then.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
now I can finaly ask is walmart killing this country ? or is it the foreighners that have infultrated our boarders and government ? only to make poor decisions intentionaly. and lead us to accept it.
one thing for sure when england said we don't support your war in the middle east. the Queen never slowed production of her oil wells in texas. nore did she ever call shell and demand they stop.
Theres alot more than wal-mart killen the country. wake up and smell the coffee. do some research on how much of the us resources on our soil we actualy own. you would go nuts before you could finish. if foreighn country's pulled the plug on us all at once what do you see that we would be left with in a cold war? I doubt we could last two day's before we ran out of fuel. nore could we make it a week on dry good's before the shelv's would be empty at wal-mart.
hears the kicker why do we give tax breaks for business that do buisiness outa the country foreighn trade like wal-mart. ?
We offer none to do business in the usa you can't get a break no matter where you turn?
Our own government suports wal-mart type business's with tax breaks and bonus's.
just ask your self who owns this CO.? thats were the profite is going.
Last time I looked it was usa owned. but intill the government shifts the tax breaks and other breaks back to the us Wal-mart will continue.

[edit on 17-1-2005 by nmbvua]

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
The reason China beats out almost all manufacturers in the world is because they have virtually no expenses related to environmental impact mitigation, virtually no expenses related to worker benefits and no workers compensation system and they operate all kinds of prision camps where inmates are forced to produce goods. There is also a lot of child labor that is tapped as well.

THE SOLUTION: Require importers of American goods to provide proof that goods are produced with the same environment impact controls, same worker benefits, etc. The longer we continue to not do this we will watch our wealth drain away until our stand of living is basically equalized with the Chinese. What we are seeing is a global homoginization of incomes for better or worse, and its happening with amazing speed. Their income will go up as our's goes down.

Because our government is controlled by Multi-national corporations you won't see our government doing anything to stop this. Only if American's push legislation that requires goods to come from 'certified' sources where you have environmental controls, basic human and worker's rights and benefits will this change.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by nmbvua
yea I agree.
here's a link that may help others see it straight from wal-mart.

-LINK TOO %$#*@!$%#@ LONG!-

take a look at there suplier standards.

Wow, what about domestic suppliers? this is all about international suppliers? So they are the reason for job outsourcing

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Walmart is bad because they use their muscle to push on smaller businesses, they do not compete at a fair level. if they were to not push profit margins so much they would be much more benefical of a company

top topics

<<   2 >>

join