It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Run, Hide, Fight??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Not a long post here, and mods please move if this is in the wrong forum..

Every time this sort of thing happens (Orlando shooting) The small amount of Media coverage I see always seems to infuriate me for one reason or another, I want to share the first thing Im seeing today that I believe will only serve to make things worse yet is being pushed by the local news.

I watch news for weather and traffic in the mornings here in NY. At the moment they are interviewing various people on topics relating to yesterdays shooting in Orlando, and the gentleman on now has a board up giving directions on what to do in a crisis situation such as this one..

Run, Hide, Fight.. In that order..

He is explaining how important it is to use critical thinking.. How not to be a deer in the head lights, or to be a rubber necker. "You should look for the closest exit and get yourself out first and those close to you as soon as possible."

All I see in this situation if everyone used this as the first course of action is a herd of victims, (deer) making a great target and effectively creating a sporting situation for the gunner.

This is only my opinion and a hypothetical scenario I would like to just toss out there for discussion. One I think would have a better outcome in number of deaths as well as a possible deterrent for future shootings.

What if the at the moment the shooter started shooting, the first movement in the crowd was all the men stepping forward in front of the women so as to kind of create a shield... Then moving forward after that towards the shooter looking for or grabbing anything close that might serve as a shield or weapon. How about the crowd reacted quickly as a unit to overcome and take out the shooter.. Wouldn't an action like this serve to save lives as opposed to everyone cowering and running around scared?

What if we as a community we pulled together and said to future shooters... Next time we will come for you directly and with an angry vengeance.. You may be pulled apart limb from limb on site and immediately. Next time the whole room will be coming straight for you and you will not have the opportunity to have that last minute shootout with the police where you get to feel sorry for yourself and all the wrongs you've been done.. Next time it will be a angry pack of wild animal like humans smashing and beating you into a pulp with our bear hands.. Sure you will get a few of us along the way, but in the end you will be the the one dying the most horrible and vicious death..

I don't know, just my thoughts here. It seems like what I am seeing and hearing on the news will not help anything in situations of this sort, but only offer to make them worse and I wanted to get my first thought out there and maybe get a little feedback or what your thoughts are..

Regards to the families of this horrible event. Lets pull together and try to figure out truly effective ways to deal with these things..

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Quauhtli

When ambushed you're best option is to charge.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 07:34 AM
link   
The Titans have been released. Hate, the object and intended consequences of religion and gods. We just have to ride it out til it is satisfied. No one can stop a bullet, a lucky miss is what we all hope for the next time we go shopping or to a movie.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
The slogan being offered by British police is "Run, Hide, Tell". I wonder which version came first.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
You would be ill advised to pull a jack-ass stunt like this at any of the bars I frequent.
You would likely be praying for death by the end.
And the end is going to come real quick like.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

That's why i always carry a squirt gun.

They're thinking 'if it looks like a gun and some lady pulls it out as a gun and holds it to my head, it must be a gun!

I like your frame of thought though TeX, ambush is good, especially if you have a guy friend close by, er, provided he's not Liberal.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Could the single, unoccupied, unattractive, homeless, white, male, cis people please step up to the front?
That would be a typical reaction from the internet to your idea.

Me myself, I would cower and try to scarper away. At least until I would have people with me I would care more for than for my own life - this happens occasionally. Because otherwise, those people would not be with me, but would be waiting for me, giving me incentive for survival.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
And im sure we will get the chest beating RAR RAR crowd shouting how they would fight to the death ect ect

Fact is unless your military trained you dont know how you will react.

Most the chest beaters on here would likley piss there knickers and hide.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Run , hide , fight ? No.......duck, draw and shoot ! Anyone carrying concealed at least has a chance to defend themselves and end the threat.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Don't underestimate people Especially Women who don't give a flying fark what some ignoramus gun toting dicwad does or has to say.

If i were in this position honestly, i'd try and take him. Why? Because ... I dont f'cking care, i'm going to die anyways why not go out doing something that benefits people right?

that is all, i'm done.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Run hide fight is the suggested course of action for a number of reasons, chief among them is the other alternative is asking a largely untrained populace to do something the majority aren't prepared to do.

"All men step forward and create a wall." The hell is that? Seriously?

The Orlando shooter was engaged by law enforcement almost from the word "go" and still did what he did. What on earth makes you think lining up for a shooter is going to have a better outcome than trying to get away?

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10
a reply to: crazyewok

Don't underestimate people Especially Women who don't give a flying fark what some ignoramus gun toting dicwad does or has to say.

If i were in this position honestly, i'd try and take him. Why? Because ... I dont f'cking care, i'm going to die anyways why not go out doing something that benefits people right?

that is all, i'm done.

Have you been in this situation before?

If not Your talking out your arse.

When something like this happens your body will react in ways you can’t control unless you have had training. Logic and reasoned thought won’t matter when the adrenaline kicks in. Its why the military drill and drill and drill, so you can overcome your bodies automatic responses without thinking.

Maybe you will fight? Maybe you will run? Maybe you will freeze and crap your panties were you stand?
Honestly neither me nor you can say.

edit on 13-6-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-6-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 08:05 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
The first response to shots ringing out is often confusion. people who don't know what gunfire sounds are like, "Whats that, backfire, firecrackers? They hear a 'popping sound'. They switch from puzzlement to incongruity, even denial someone is about to murder them, who is ready for that?

In the early stages theres no military training kicking in for civilians at large. They don't know the difference between cover and concealment, determining the distance and location of the shooter(s), how to get out of the line of fire or kill zone.

In many of these situations the shooter has purposefully chosen the environment to be as confusing as possible for victims, either a school room, the Mall, a darkened movie theatre, or a packed club for chrissakes.

There is nowhere to hide, no egress, no way to tell what the best thing to do is, initially. And of course bullets are a lot faster than you.

What to do? The only thing is pull out your assault rifle you always have with you (which you don't), the killer isn't attacking a police station or gun range. He knows how vulnerable people are in the selected target.

There are 'no guns allowed' in bars, malls, classrooms or movie theaters.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
If you are a few rooms away, run and hide does make more sense... if you are in the room when it begins your best bet is to rush the shooter.

Least that is my opinion.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: awareness10

Screw it, i tell you how i feel and you turn it into a screw you i'm better fight.

No.

I’m just stating simple biology.

It is a SCINETIFIC FACT

In such a situation adrenaline will take over. And in such an event you capacity for reason and logic will be reduced. Automatic body reflects will take over. How and in what way? Neither me nor you can say.

Why do you think the military spend so much time and money on drilling? For the LOLZ?
It’s so when you body’s fight or flight response takes over you don’t have to rely on thinking that going to be impaired by the flood of adrenaline and your body will automatically take over in the correct way, and even then it does not always work.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 08:15 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   

(post by AVtech34 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join