It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you feel about assisted dying?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   
In Canada, the ruling government is saying you must be close to dying to qualify for assisted dying. But the Canadian supreme court has presented the idea that if your health condition is one of extreme and unavoidable suffering, you should have the right to be assisted to leave this world when you choose, even if death is not close.

What do you think is right? I think it is our life and nobody should be able to tell us how we should lead it, as long as we consider the needs of others.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

I totally agree that people who are ill and want to die have that right to make that choice.

I resent the fact that government and religion get in the way of what I see as a basic freedom of choice. Lets face it this right was grabbed from us because of a few stinking rich who were worried their relatives might give them a quick shove.

We put down our pets when they are suffering and there is no hope. Yet my grandmother was brought back to life against her wishes by some 'indulgent' doctor, who thought we should thank him for his efforts at keeping her alive and in considerable pain.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7

I totally agree that people who are ill and want to die have that right to make that choice.

I resent the fact that government and religion get in the way of what I see as a basic freedom of choice. Lets face it this right was grabbed from us because of a few stinking rich who were worried their relatives might give them a quick shove.

We put down our pets when they are suffering and there is no hope. Yet my grandmother was brought back to life against her wishes by some 'indulgent' doctor, who thought we should thank him for his efforts at keeping her alive and in considerable pain.

Isnt this how eugenics movements start, where does it stop.
Kill anyone you dont think deserves life.

I am not against assisted dying, I am against the idea many will be pushed, many more than need to be.

With extreme caution.

Dont blame the religions, blame those who abuse the system, hitler had an assisted dying regime in place.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Isnt this how eugenics movements start, where does it stop.
Kill anyone you don't think deserves life.

Eugenics is slightly different. One is by choice.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   

No, let anybody suffering extremely with no chance of getting better be allowed to escape their misery.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Nobody should have to suffer in order to prolong their life.
I would want the right to die.

Ive already instructed my doctor no heroic measures to be used if I'm in serious condition.
Her office called one day and said to come in for " a talking appointment". Was rather strange. I was intrigued on what we would talk about. She's not even my doctor, her husband is, so I think ok it's female stuff.

When I went there, the nurse first measured my height and weighed me. So I'm thinking this is a physical or something. No blood pressure or blood tests were done, just my dimensions taken. Once I got in her office, she asks if I have a will and who is in charge of my health, power of attorney or whatever it's called. I said my daughter is. Then she just asks rather bluntly " do you want to be saved?".

I thought this was really odd to call me in to ask if I'm worth saving and wtf was with checking out my height? So I can fit in the morgue drawer / body bag lol.
I'm only 55 and yes I had a massive stroke 6 years ago but overall my health is ok. I sort of felt like they were planning to off me the next time I end up in hospital and needed legal papers to do it lol. It was all very cold.

I'm in Canada btw.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 01:00 AM
link   

A touchy subject as I've come to witness.

I believe that this life is mine, this body is mine, and if I don't want to live this life I should be allowed to quit it at the moment of my choosing. I'm an adult of sufficient understanding and no mental illnesses laying waste to my thought process, done and done.

If I have an inoperable cancer that will kill me within the year... allow me to choose when and where.
If I'm to live in excruciating pain for the rest of my life and I just can't deal with it anymore... allow me the choice.
Hell, if I think it's time for me to move on from this world regardless of health... it should be my choice!

That about sums it up.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Everyone has the right to die when they choose, basic as that, and yet in many places it is illegal to kill yourself and states can seize your property if you do, kind of ridiculous. Assisted suicide is a bit different because someone takes another's life, even if it is contractual agreement for right to die by another means beside suicide. It is still homicide by law, but then again every person should have their right to die when they choose to. If the person is god fearing and believes in heaven and hell and can;t take their own life for fear they will end up in hell, assisted suicide is really no different, it's like trying to get around god's laws through semantics. So either way, a person has the right to die when they choose so.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   

I'm for it with conditions. Such as,

It would need to be HEAVILY monitored to stop abuse.

It would also need a rigorous system so there wouldn't be any cases of "so we euthanised Mr Doe. The autopsy found he wasn't actually dying" situations.

For that to happen the worlds medical system would need a major overhaul.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Oh No, not Hitler again. That was 70 odd years ago and the world has moved on.

But how many religions still teach that suicide or deciding to die is against God's laws?

This has nothing to do with anything except relieving suffering not only for the person who is stuck in a pain filled world,but also for their relatives and loved ones.

I do share your concern though. It is possible that at some stage in the future with overpopulation some young thing might suddenly think the elderly are clogging up the world and need a shove off. So yes you are right that extreme caution is needed. But in the UK most of our Doctors have a terrific respect for people and their care and I trust them to make the right decision alongside the person themselves and the relatives when there is no hope.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I think assisted dying is the way to go, throughout time. Heinous criminals didn't get the chance to stand trial. They just got assisted in their deaths for their crimes. Ladies and gents we are in a different era now. Once the Ace gets his sword and other divine powers you will feel gods wrath. You will want death and not find it. 22

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: droid56

No, let anybody suffering extremely with no chance of getting better be allowed to escape their misery.

Did you read my post or just react
I am disapointed by the lack of comprehension shown sometimes around these parts

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shiloh7

Oh No, not Hitler again. That was 70 odd years ago and the world has moved on.

Oh yes
Because this is what humanity is capable of at an extreme, it is because humanity is capable of these types of systems.

enjoy
www.thecompassionatechoice.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 01:26 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   

I don't want to go on the cart.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: DOACOURT777
God uses floods not guns. Shame on you all, but there is nothing much to say for the corrupt sheep to soon have a rude awakening.

So that must mean you're for assisted dying? After all, didn't the god in the bible "assist" people to die?

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I would love to end my life when i choose. But there are millions out there who have strange mentality of: "Hell no. You shouldn't be able to take an easy way out. Doing so makes it harder for others to keep moving so #ing stop that #. My life doesn't need any unwanted depressing thoughts."

To me it seems like keeping the amount of suffering people minimal is the only way to avoid chaos... so i guess in my mind i really do not possess empathy because so many people have left me traumatized my entire life. Telling me i shouldn't kill myself. But at the same time i like hanging out with terminally ill people and sharing ideas for revenge, or last minute vacations because they are the coolest people, and most interesting, intelligent, and sometimes the perfect amount of craziness, or psychotic. Where it is just enough for them to tell me their ideas and plans... but they never carry them out. I love hearing those stories coming from them.

I love hearing all of those twisted graphic, gory, gut wrenching depicted scenes they describe. For me it is better than a movie.

And honestly i have tried to get them to commit to doing this #. But they don't. They always get so close to the edge that they turn back... they revert. They suddenly start repenting. They avoid me after that. And so ehow they just... never go there in their minds again.

Wether or not they hate me, or they appreciate what i did i could never tell you. Because i know a lot of them will never do it. A lot of those right to die people never wanted to hurt anyone. And i think that is one the biggest problems across the entire globe.

Even i can't do it. I have tried several times to do wrong... and even being more than willing to assist others in committing wrongdoing. I have done it. But every time. No matter what i do. No matter what i say. They never do it. And neither do i.

It is almost as if they are going along with it for the same intentions i do it... to see if they would do it, but to mock them if they don't. To make fun or poke fun at. Like dark comedy. To me i love pushing them to see if they could do it... but almost every time.... they never go forth with that final step to plummit into chaos. They don't do it.

No one does.

I have a few... very few friends who i have met over the years who still talk to me. But only because i haven't pushed them to the edge yet. Only because they won't tell me of their demons. At the same time a lot of the people i have come across don't know about my darkest demons. But only because the conversation never went down the way it is supposed to. In order to speak of it.

But so far i don't think i will find anyone who has the same demons as me. At least the one person who did... was way back in my younger days. But her demon made her dissappear from my world. And i met the son of a bitch who did it to her. And well... i may have slain him. Metaphorically that is. I made sure he looked like an imbecile in front of everyone. And even though i accomplished this... i couldn't give any closure for her. I fear she may have gotten lost in the abyss, or ascended to a better place.

I jusg wish i could find her. The only thing she gave me was a drawing of a pokemon.

Anyway enough crazy talk.

We should have the right to kill ourselves without prosecution, fees, or anything to do to makes us worse off than when we attempted suicide. If anything... make it painless for us. That way when we go... there is no screams. Just silence.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Other than that I think Assisted Dying is humans playing GOD. Once GOD actually comes down in form until then we carry on, a mere court date vs Judgement Day. Keep living in your imaginary world until Justice comes face to face with you.

Differen/Difficult times indeed. The strong often do not need many words. Are you a believer in GOD/Creator? Keep believing my friends. People need HOPE, that's what keep them alive. Also pray, because when I open the gates...

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I support if as long as it won't be used for corrupt measures. If a personal is terminal, in severe pain that inhibits normal function in life, then they should have a choice not to suffer any longer.

Some worried about it being passed in US states because of being concerned about elderly people for example, who are otherwise non debilitated, or not in pain, having their lives cut short because of some mandate against age or what have you.

These two cases in Belgium, are heartbreaking, makes me wonder should the assisted suicide law be more strict in that country:

A 24-year-old Belgian woman who suffers from depression and has had a "death wish" since childhood has been granted the right to die — even though she's not terminally ill.

Laura, who entered a psychiatric institution when she was 21, said her alcohol father and troubled childhood contributed to her longtime "death wish."
more here

A gay man in Belgium is attempting to end his life through the country’s euthanasia laws because he can’t accept his sexuality.

The 39-year-old, who is going by the name Sebastian to protect his identity, would have to get three doctors to agree that he has demonstrated “constant and unbearable physical or mental suffering” in order to be granted a right-to-die by euthanasia.

“My whole life has led me to this, really,” said the man, who admitted that the hardest thing for him is the thought of telling his family. “I have always thought about death. It is a permanent suffering, like being a prisoner in my own body. A constant sense of shame.”

more

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 02:06 AM
link   

I agree assisted death on the following conditions;

• The person has an incurable disease
  • If the person is suffering depression that they have been treated for it first
  • It is not used as a form of euthanasia to kiil off the elderly or homeless
  • The person is of sound mind and the decision is rational vs emotional

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join