It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Would Happen If Humans Disappeared?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Perhaps this thread should not be in fragile Earth, possibly 'resilent Earth' would be more apt. An interesting video, I believe taken from a National Geographic show shows the effect on the planet if humans were to disappear.

I found a reasonable synopsis of the video at Wikipedia, but I feel the video is quite nicely done, and easy to follow.

en.wikipedia.org...:_Population_Zero

Similar to the History Channel's special Life After People, Aftermath features what scientists and others speculate the earth, animal life, and plant life might be like if humanity no longer existed, as well as the effect that humanity's disappearance would have on the artifacts of civilization. Both documentaries are inspired by Alan Weisman's The World Without Us.

The story begins on Friday, June 13, in an unspecified year. The nature of the show and the appearance of certain vehicles suggest that it takes place in 2008, the year the program was first aired (and when June 13 of that year did indeed fall on a Friday). A.H. = After Humans The story speculates that humanity has disappeared instantly.

It seems that indeed the Earth is quite resilient, and will survive easily without us humans. The damage we inflict in turn damages us. Take humans out of the equation and the Earth reverts back to a far more wild place.

If we want to survive as a species, we need to take steps to ensure this survival. The planet doesn't appear to need us at all.
edit on 12-6-2016 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

I have seen something similar to this a few years ago, but its brilliant and slick presentation was a sad pleasure to watch (if that makes sense). S&F.

Importantly it tells us why we see so little left of our ancient history and ancient civilisations. OK we are only going back to the time of homo sapiens start, but the video makes the point that there is little left and certainly buried deep of civilisations:

In 25 years the roads will be overgrown and sand will cover cities built within or close to deserts

In 300 years metal will corrode and buildings with metal in them will collapse.

In 500 years there will be no signs of civilisation.

and 10,000 years there will only be a few stone constructions left.

That is food for thought about our past and why its so difficult to find out about us.

I am glad though that the earth will continue on until the next lot evolves to start this process we call civilisation all over again.

Wonder how many times the wheel has actually been reinvented?

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
if there was no sudden nuclear catastrophe, i think the world might revert back to the way it was intended. everything would thrive.

there was a study not too long ago saying take away two or three species mankind crumble and falls, take away man, and in a short few thousand of years the world would thrive again . (this is presuming our nuclear waste doesnt destroy the eco system somehow. thats the only thing which would keep the world from being perfect)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
It is more like what would happen if the Black and White race disappears? Asian countries and American Natives weren't involve with destructive technology without Europeans. Africa had cannibalism and killing other animals. Without Asians, white race would have destroyed the world already. Africans would've have cause an extinction to all land animal life.

Don't bring Asia or Native Americans into this. They've been living with sticks and stones before all the Tanks and Bombs came out.
edit on 12-6-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   

If you like that video, you should search for "Life after people". I think there's about 20 episodes in total. The idea is what would happen to the planet if people suddenly vanished. Starts off going from days, to months, to years, decades and so on. I thought it was really interesting.

ETA: And I just noticed it's mentioned in your ex part of the op. Sorry lol.
edit on 1262016 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I would think an already existing species would make evolutionary steps gaining intelligence until it reaches humanities achievements and may well surpass them if they do not destroy themselves in the process.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
It is more like what would happen if the Black and White race disappears? Asian countries and American Natives weren't involve with destructive technology without Europeans. Africa had cannibalism and killing other animals. Without Asians, white race would have destroyed the world already. Africans would've have cause an extinction to all land animal life.

Don't bring Asia or Native Americans into this. They've been living with sticks and stones before all the Tanks and Bombs came out.

And yet Asians invented ammunition, gun powder, bombs, wide spread deforestation for needs of charcoal, crossbows, exploding cannonballs, flamethrowers, Frag bombs, Hand grenades, hand cannons and land mines. So what were they inventing these things for? To not kill people and use them for entertainment purposes?
edit on 13-6-2016 by Sometimes because: spelling

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Humans haven't completely trashed the planet. From a clairvoyant point of view, there are other sentient speies who would move in happily.

Organic life planets are very valueable in the greater scheme of things. From a non human centric view that is.
edit on 13-6-2016 by Whatsthisthen because: unneccessary word

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Ummmm what? I could kinda see the Native American in respect to the lack of mass settlement's due to having a way of life that followed the migration patterns of wildlife and certain locations for seasonal abundance of plants. However I am sure that giving enough time that they too would have built a industrious way of life if left undisturbed as populations rise and resources become more scarce.

Asia on the other has had a long history of industrialization. Even the rice patties are a monoculture that wiped out the pre-existing habitats and they have been around for almost ever. In modern times they have some of the most polluted and overpopulated areas in the whole world.

Almost all cultures kill other animals for food...not sure where you are trying to go with that statement as the average Asian diet is far more varied in terms of meat consumption. Literally anything and everything is consumed in Asia one way or another. Cows,pigs,chickens,horses,dogs....dolphins,whales,sharks, every crustacean imaginable. Hell the Japanese even figured out how to eat one of the most poisonous fish in the world.

en.m.wikipedia.org...
(This is the crazy poisonous puffer fish dish)

Just my two cents for free.

a reply to: makemap

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Plants would grow over all the nasty stuff humans created and the water will erode it and nature would start to heal earth back to the state where it should be, green and lush. Most every creature would thrive. That's how I envision it anyway, a world without humans.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Freaking garbage trucks wouldn't be rolling around waking everyone up at 7 Am.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   

What Would Happen If Humans Disappeared?

No one would be around to care thus the question is irrelevant.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79
Aww you beat me to it....Life without people. The episode on Hoover Dam was very interesting

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
Freaking garbage trucks wouldn't be rolling around waking everyone up at 7 Am.

My beef is the leaf blowers.

All the dust from pollen, road ways and exhaust settles out, clearing the air. Then the gardener army of blowers stirs it all up again… let alone the racket.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
a reply to: TerryDon79
Aww you beat me to it....Life without people. The episode on Hoover Dam was very interesting

I preferred the parts right near the end, if I'm honest. Where all the grass, trees, roots, animals and what not, have taken back the planet, but you can still kind of make out the shape of an old skyscraper or some other complex.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Hell the Japanese even figured out how to eat one of the most poisonous fish in the world.

Ahh , Fugu . Prepared as a normal fish or Sushi. Only licensed chefs are allowed to prepare and is extremely expensive.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Before…

After…

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Do you mean if humans disappeared? like Died naturally all at once?

I'd be happy to see this subliminal hell end.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Sometimes

should have added, 'mic dropped' after that post.

we need to call people out more on utter b.s.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

In an alternate Universe yes

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join