It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are humans inherently good or evil or neither?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

Ummm...neither good nor evil...we're territorial...lactating...mammals that have the capacity for destructive or creative behavior equally...

Response to negative or positive stimuli...determines predominantly which aspect of our natures is reaction to action...

Action can be physical non-physical...or imagined...
Perception is perspective...guided by either complete or incomplete consideration...
Intent is often supplanted by such incomplete perspective consideration...

Be thankful that as you reach for an enlightened state...external threat analysis remains an active modifier of situational awareness...

YouSir

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Good and evil are human constructs whose definitions are relative to cultural norms. Even those things we agree as a species are "evil" are based upon survival of the species and adaptation of international norms over time. There is no ultimate arbiter who decides good and evil except us. Therefore, good is what we as a species agree is good, and what we as a species agree is evil. After that, the rest is cultural and societal standard.

In my opinion, if you believe all humans are innately "evil", then you are chief among the "evil", and a detriment to our well being as a species, because that is what you will always strive to find confirmation of, and what will always emanate from you.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
We are all capable of everything

It usually comes down to circumstance

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I find it to my advantage to be a "good" person.
I don't believe it is because I am inherently good or bad.
I'm just a human.
I see no good that comes from causing harm.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
humans are good, when they dont eat meat

breatharian.info...

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
We are inherently good. Take for example an innocent child...we were all good to begin with. We are all influenced in our lifetime and that is what makes some of us "bad".

Try to hold on to that innocence as long as you can, not saying to be gullible, but child-like innocence, living in the moment. That is what keeps us good.
edit on 13-6-2016 by veracity because: typo

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Because there are both...we are both. Everything has its opposite. And the scales tip one way or the other...and sometimes tetter back and forth between each as well.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I don't believe in good and evil as some sort of universal static thing.
I think that humans have drives of all sorts, even ones which oppose each other, so in any society or culture, no matter what they deem good or evil, humans will continue to be a mix of both.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: veracity
We are inherently good. Take for example an innocent child...we were all good to begin with. We are all influenced in our lifetime and that is what makes some of us "bad".

Try to hold on to that innocence as long as you can, not saying to be gullible, but child-like innocence, living in the moment. That is what keeps us good.

Innocent, yes. Definitively good, debatable. It is when we are faced with our choices that our tendency for good or evil arises.

I'll give you a scenario. Our country is in civil war and you have been treated very poorly. Robbed, perhaps raped, and always under threat. You have your family that you are trying desperately to protect. At some point you come across a loaded gun. You know that others that live close to you have decent amounts of food and they have turned a blind eye while you have suffered. You know they don't have guns. What do you do?

True good is done in the surrender against the odds. Christ went willingly to his death. Buda let all things go, even the brutal death of his family. Knowing of evil and choosing good is extremely difficult to pull off when under duress.

Good and evil have no clear cut dividing line. If we were all inherently good the planet that we live on would be a different place.

In youthful innocence we are closer to the spirit side. Flesh is the test of the spirit however.
edit on 13-6-2016 by Apollumi because: becuz

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Apollumi

Intent says it all

Killing / stealing to save lives is different than a hate-filled massacre of 49 people.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: veracity
a reply to: Apollumi

Intent says it all

Killing / stealing to save lives is different than a hate-filled massacre of 49 people.

Some would pick a grain of sand from a beach and proclaim it the beach. The point being, as I understand it, that every simple act of evil which we work daily leads eventually to wars and death.

Every piece of gossip. Every unjust judgement. Every passed chance to do good. Is this event bad. Of course. I just don't know how people pick out singular events and overlook all the bad going on around them. The thing that led this person there was most likely that lack of good in his life. Lack of hope, lack of love, lack of kindness.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 04:17 PM
link   

What does it say about people who return from war all f"cI up because they had to shoot other people and witnessed all kinds of butchering. I think people are not designed to harm other people....or to do wrong. Do "normal" people not feel guilt if they do wrong..? IMHO That should tell that people are inherently good.

Of course there are the socio/psychopaths who feel nothing...but what are they...damaged or flawed specimen?

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: zatara

The veterans of war were (so to say) set on a mission. They were told what to do, almost robotic.

THe intent was to protect their country, not to butcher hundreds. Yes, they do not feel good about it but they get a better reincarnation than the guy who massacred 49 gay men in Florida over the weekend.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

originally posted by: makemap
Humans are neutral. If they were evil all animal life would be dead by now because we have the technology to slaughter everything in our path. If humans were good. Everyone will be living with animals peacefully. We wouldn't be fighting each other on which race is best all the time.

We humans have choice between evil and good. Some of us chose evil. Some choose Good.

All animals are just about dead, give us a chance to finish the job, never mind each other off

That is because evil taken over starting with America. Can never forget the good. People are brainwashed to the evil American system. It is so evil that it has became a secret until the internet came about. All the secrets of evil in America is coming out with truth and goodness. "Knowledge is power." Those who try to suppress it are usually evil.
edit on 13-6-2016 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: carlore

breatharian.info...

You know Hitler was a vegetarian, right?

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: namelesss

originally posted by: FlyingFox
Are humans inherently good or evil or neither?

No one is 'inherently' 'good' or 'evil'.
Like all 'value', like all 'beauty', like all 'meaning'; ALL 'good', and ALL 'evil', exists in the (vain judgmental) ego (imagination/thoughts) of the beholder!

"We don't see the world as it is, we see it as we are!"

That is fine, but I left it to an esoteric standard to make the distinction between good and evil. In a way, we think there are there are absolutes of good and evil, but it's not as simple as it seems.

Look at the example of infanticide. On one hand it is deplorable evil as agreed upon, a standard of evil in our culture. On the other hand, traditions of such things run throughout human history, but often for the stated reason, "for the good of...." the group, or even for the benefit of the affected individual! How contradictory is that?

Recently, the atomic bombing twice of Japan is debated as "wrong" or somehow "evil". On the other hand, I would argue that Japan brought it on themselves. listverse.com...

In a way, the best answer is maybe closer to the reply of nameless, that two wrongs do not make a right.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

originally posted by: carlore

breatharian.info...

You know Hitler was a vegetarian, right?

So am I.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 11:34 PM
link   
There is the principle throughout epic literature that; In doing justice, you become unjust yourself.

Well, I see that as not a prohibition against "doing justice", but rather a caution against the implications.

In my life, I deal out my share of justice....and merely accept the burden, with excess karma to burn.

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

organic portals, and humans, dont eat the same

posted on Jun, 14 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I believe people will be what they need to be when they want/need to be it. I believe most people try to be "good" as a survival mech, to fit in for whatever reason. I believe people are "evil" when they no longer care what the world thinks of them and they believe they can survive on their own terms. It's funny how a lot of peaceful types want you to let it all go and try to remove yourself from societie's norms, but that can lead to a true peace or a true psychopathic mentality. One never knows what will happen when you truly free yourself.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join