It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What law would have stopped the Orlando shooting??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
The title pretty much says it all... people keep saying we need common sense laws to prevent things like this...

I would love if someone could explain a law that would prevent a mass shooting, seems to me we already have enough laws on the books... and in the case of Orlando, the FBI looked into the guy twice, and closed the case.. he called 911 to say what he was going to do and it seems like the police were slow to respond.

So someone... I dont care about what country you are from, or your political leaning... within the confines of established law, and the constitution what law would have prevented this tragedy?

Personally I think the guns are pretty far down on the list of reasons this is happening.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:45 PM
link   
No Law will stop a Terrorist who believes it is his right to kill all infidels in the name of his invisible sky god.

This is deeper.
edit on 6/12/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
The title pretty much says it all... people keep saying we need common sense laws to prevent things like this...

I would love if someone could explain a law that would prevent a mass shooting, seems to me we already have enough laws on the books... and in the case of Orlando, the FBI looked into the guy twice, and closed the case.. he called 911 to say what he was going to do and it seems like the police were slow to respond.

So someone... I dont care about what country you are from, or your political leaning... within the confines of established law, and the constitution what law would have prevented this tragedy?

Personally I think the guns are pretty far down on the list of reasons this is happening.

I believe we have laws still on the books that qualifies who is taken into the U.S. on a refugee basis. Immigration was heavily restricted into the U.S. from circa 1948 until 1962. Enforcement would go a longs way to improving our lot. Not another excuse for 'new laws'.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Just a thought, and I'm not advocating for it but... many of these attacks and smaller-scale assaults (by Christians and Muslims) are spurred on by religious hate speech.

Right now, it is okay for a pastor to stand up and tell his congregation to stone all gay people to death. The imams have been doing the same. This is absolutely one of the most socially dangerous things we can allow.

I think religious (or ideology-based) hate speech should receive more attention than it does. I don't know if banning it is the right move or maybe just holding the speakers accountable for related violence that occurs afterwards.

I don't know if a "law" can fix that but I do think that is where these problems can be traced back to an apex.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
That's what I keep trying to get across to the Anti 2nd folks. Criminals and those who mean harm have never and will never, obey the law. Period. No matter what law is written or how many, the only people who will follow them are those of us who don't mean any harm to begin with. There is no law written that will stop it. At that point, they don't care if they get caught or die. They are determined to do what ever it is they're going to do and words on a piece of paper are not going to stop them.
But, sadly, the Antis keep thinking more laws will make us safer. A piece of paper is not going to stop a bullet.
edit on 12-6-2016 by DAVID64 because: spelling

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 08:01 PM
link   

This will always happen in a free society.

Because cowardly authoritarian pus-bags don't like freedom.

Keep our country free, please. Don't let the cowardly pig-####ers win.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 08:02 PM
link   

I'm fairly sure that the gunman would have killed far less had he been armed only with a banana.

link   
1st degree murder.

link   
If concealed carry were permitted in the bar, it is likely that at least a few good people would have been armed, and they could have taken out the shooter before he killed so many.

So, I think less restrictive concealed carry laws, and less restrictive gun laws, could have given people more of a chance to defend themselves.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Allowing the club owners and personnel to have firearms inside the club.

Although, I have known some of the security in Florida clubs to be the worst of the worst.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

Whoa whoa whoa!!! You're talking common sense now. That's not allowed. We're supposed to wail, gnash our teeth and say this is another reason for stricter gun control. You know we're not supposed to actually protect ourselves..
edit on 12-6-2016 by DAVID64 because: spelling

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Even that wouldn't help. This guy is the current record holder for mass shooters and he was born in NY, USA.

The Sandy Hook kid was a white American. The Aurora theater shooter was a white American. The Georgia Tech kid was Asian and non-Muslim.

The truth is: there are no easy answers, and no common sense laws that can stop it. Let's say everyone suddenly, magically agreed that AR-15's are the problem (I know, I know). Even if they were suddenly outlawed, under penalty of 10 years in a Federal Pen, upwards of 2 in 5 owners wouldn't turn theirs in. There is no comprehensive list of every AR-15 in the US. I doubt that even half of them are in any combination of registries.

Even if you somehow magically gathered them all up and fired them into the sun, the next mass shooter would use a different gun / combination of guns. It doesn't matter how outraged we are. It doesn't matter how much everyone (even the NRA) wants these kinds of crimes / terrorist acts to stop (forever). There is no common sense solution to the problem. There is no law or combination of laws that will magically make bad people compliant.

Our civilization depends on the notion that there is some kind of authority that can make things happen, but it's simply not true. The President could write an executive order abolishing all guns, and -- even if no one pushed back -- there would be no single list to work from to gather them up. And there is certainly no force on earth large enough, or coordinated enough to go house to house "grabbing" the guns. Any combination of realistic force designed to do so would take decades to work from one end of the country to the other.

The truth is -- leaders need to stand up and tell the truth: there is no magical solution. There is no all-knowing authority. There are no flawless databases. We all need to go to work, buy our stuff, love our friends, families and neighbors, and live as if we have nothing to fear (as best we can), because there are no possible strongman answers, and no perfect security.

It is far more likely that we will see armed security and metal detectors in every school, nightclub, church, grocery-store, movie theater and stadium in the country. And even then: there will still be mass casualty events.

It sucks, and it breaks my heart, but I live in the real world, and you should to. Hug your babies. Pray if it makes you strong and more loving. Stop praying if it makes you hate. Most of all -- carry on as if there is no force on earth that can take away your love, or move you away from the light that animates it, because that is all we got.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   

I would love if someone could explain a law that would prevent a mass shooting,.

That's easy. This shooting could never happen in Iran.

You see. There are no gay night clubs there.

So, there are laws that would stop this type of thing.

The problem, really, is we want all things. We want our guns and our gays. We want our muslims and our anti-muslims. We want both Trump and Clinton. Well, something's gotta break, from time to time, with all that stress and strain on the system trying to satisfy everybody with opposing opinions and beliefs.

Just live with it man. To fix it, you got to give up something.

Give up your guns, or your freedom. If you try to keep both, then you just have to grin and bear it, when the bullets hit the fans.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 08:20 PM
link   

A law to repeal victim disarmament zones.

People need to be able to defend themselves and others everywhere.

Period.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

Agreed.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   

What law would have stopped the Orlando shooting?? O!
edit on 12-6-2016 by Informer1958 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 08:58 PM
link   
The end of regime change policies overseas.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Eradication of religion.

Just as portugal made drugs legal, the overdose rate or death related is the lowest amongst countries who issue death penalty to frug users.

Take away religion boom. Equilibrium.

----------

Or, ban guns like australia, and no mass shootings in 20+ years. Dont ignore the massive thread on that. Go contribute op.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 12-6-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
laws don't discourage craven insanity. He gave his name in the 911 call to make sure he was associated with the act

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Just a thought, and I'm not advocating for it but... many of these attacks and smaller-scale assaults (by Christians and Muslims) are spurred on by religious hate speech.

Right now, it is okay for a pastor to stand up and tell his congregation to stone all gay people to death. The imams have been doing the same. This is absolutely one of the most socially dangerous things we can allow.

I think religious (or ideology-based) hate speech should receive more attention than it does. I don't know if banning it is the right move or maybe just holding the speakers accountable for related violence that occurs afterwards.

I don't know if a "law" can fix that but I do think that is where these problems can be traced back to an apex.

I think this is a start right here, we have seen or heard it from Christian, Muslim, and Jewish sources.

Immediately remove NFP status from any congregation participating in hate speech. Here is the issue outside of the 1st amendment, who gets to decide it is hate speech?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join