It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Atheism a Religious Faith?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 11:10 PM
link   
So William,what you are saying is that for some reasons that you do not wish to say........you have chosen to not beleive in God....

That Atheist is not truly what you would call yourself!

That somehow you want only to have no faith or religion....being for whatever reasons you may have.

William,if I may ask you a question......
Do you beleive in the paranormal?
Let's say for example........ghosts or spirits that you cannot make sense of?

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Way to go, MAsked Avatar *said very sarcastically*. Now we have to define another darned word. William? Can you tackle that one, too?

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 11:24 PM
link   

So I think we need to redefine our terminology.

atheism = no faith. no religion.

anti-theism = the religion against religion.

Well William, I totally agree with you on that. Most of theses guys who are doing the bashing are "anti-theists". It is amusing though, a lot of these people always complain about Christian intolerance or Muslim intolerance, but are more bigoted than either the Christians or Muslims. They always complain about Christian evangelism or Muslim evangelism, but spend a lot of time evangelizing their beliefs. In the past few days, I have accessed some "skeptic" web sites and read some of the essays. I won't go into any details, but some of the essays contain historical misconceptions (I did not say lies), that a sophomore in high school could refute. It seems that these people are just as capable of being incredulous as the Christians who believe in the literal seven day creation of the world.

By the way, post the "working girl" pun, I would love to read it. In the past, some of my best friends were professionals.

[Edited on 18-6-2003 by jagdflieger]

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 11:29 PM
link   
TC

I like this one.

liberal = "favorable to or in accord with the policy of leaving the individual as unrestricted as possible in the opportunities for self-expression or self-fulfilment"

of the 12 presented in my favorite dictionary.

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 12:21 AM
link   
If, for defining purposes, that Atheism is defined as:
no faith and no belief.....

Then my logic based question would next be:

WHAT exactly does a Atheist believe or even have faith in?

This ought to be interesting.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by helen670
That Atheist is not truly what you would call yourself!

It certainly is!

Do you beleive in the paranormal?

No.

Like I stated previously, true atheism is the abscence of beliefs in all things mystical. That includes deities, spirits, paranormal, etc.

And Thomas, indeed we may have had a group epiphany here... anti-theism seems to be more popular than atheism these days, and is taking on a fervor similar to extreme theism. Interesting.

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

The answer is so amazingly simple, theists often don't understand.

An atheist has faith in oneself. No more. No less.

posted on Jun, 18 2003 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Thank you again for your imputs, though I DO see you and a few others of being 'true' atheist, through the comments given.

I do hope you understand or see the direction or angle I was coming from. IT does seem that many who claim Atheism are really anti-theist and in such, carry their 'atheism' as a badge of honour or badge of freedom to condemn.....and in so doing.....seem to take on the personage of 'faith' and/or 'beliefs'.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I would like to postulate, for mere converstaion and topic, that the atheist in his or her conviction that there is no g-d or/and no life after death, etc., is also professing a religious 'faith'-- in the sense that atheism is a belief system, as is all religious faith's, like any other, that is entirely unsupported by scientific evidence's.

I'd have to agree with William's original sentiment...Atheism is the LACK of belief.

I also disagree that it's unsupported by scientific evidence. If we had scientific evidence proving life after death, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
I myself am not an atheist, but nor do I ascribe to any one specific belief. I have developed my own views, based on both experiences, and things found on my own. I used to consider myself an atheist though, and will agree that it is a belief, but certainly not a religion in and of itself.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Atheism is a belief. If you define a belief as something that one assumes to be true beyond that which can be proven by science, Atheism is a belief. An Atheist believes that there is no God. I say prove it. You can't. Sure, science has yet to provide any evidence that there is a God, but to say for certain that God does not exist is a belief completely without scientific proof. Science cannot prove that the existence of God is impossible because science cannot fathom beyond what humans have experienced.

Please don't ever say again that an Atheist by definition believes nothing if Atheists are to have any respect in the world of ideas. The biggest cop out of an Atheist is to say, "Nobody knows, so why should we believe in any one thing. Let's just not believe anything because we simply cannot know." That's weak. I assume that most Atheists out there take a stance on the issue and believe in evolution or some other hypothesis about the origin of the universe and the termination of life. But to say that since we can't know, we just shouldn't think about it goes against intellectualism and the honorable pursuit of science: to discover the mysteries of the universe. If you believe nothing, you have nothing to say that's of any interest to anyone, so don't say anything at all.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
How can anyone call Atheism a religion?

The dictionary defines Religion as the service and worship of God or the supernatural, commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance, a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices.

Atheism is a disbelief in the existence of any God.

So how is disbelief in the existence of any God equal devotion to a religious faith?

How does lack of faith equal faith?

How can faith in nothing equal faith in something?

[Edited on 29-3-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Mood: Im afraid, Dave
Member is on ATS now.

ATS Points: 7261
Ignore this user (info)
ignore
Vote for this user (info)
way above
posted on 29-3-2004 at 01:14 PM Post Number: 450350 �quoteHow can anyone call Atheism a religion?

The dictionary defines Religion as the service and worship of God or the supernatural, commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance, a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices.

Atheism is a disbelief in the existence of any God.

So how is disbelief in the existence of any God equal devotion to a religious faith?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Exactly, the religious(fools) are always trying to tie anything current with their imagination. The facts remain that there is no god(duh) but if some people(crazies) want to believe,its O.K.
How come if an atheist is threatened by religious beleifs he laughs. How come if a religious person is threatened by an atheist he attacks.

Oh and by the way,an athiest is not a religious person,usually (if not 99% of the time) just smarter.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Faith is a belief in something that is not seen. Athiest BELIEVE that the unseen does not exist. It is not proven one way or another. It is opposite of religion but is it the opposite of faith. Their faith is that there is nothing beyond this realm. It is a faith, I think, but not a religious one.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
3 PM Post Number: 450427 �quoteFaith is a belief in something that is not seen. Athiest BELIEVE that the unseen does not exist. It is not proven one way or another. It is opposite of religion but is it the opposite of faith. Their faith is that there is nothing beyond this realm. It is a faith, I think, but not a religious one.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Man? Can you please never tell me again what i believe. You are a christian,proven over time to be about the stupidist people on the planet.
Do not link my lack invisible people with your beleif in invisible people.
your fuinny.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Ashley: "3 PM Post Number: 450427 quoteFaith is a belief in something that is not seen. Athiest BELIEVE that the unseen does not exist. It is not proven one way or another. It is opposite of religion but is it the opposite of faith. Their faith is that there is nothing beyond this realm. It is a faith, I think, but not a religious one.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Man? Can you please never tell me again what i believe. You are a christian,proven over time to be about the stupidist people on the planet.
your fuinny.

Dude, I recommend that you reread what I wrote before you start flinging "stupid" around, you might get some on yourself. I read this and I heard Athiests all over the world say "he don't speak for me."

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Ashley,

Atheism is not a religion. To consider a belief in nothing as belief in something doesn�t pan out. If anything we could file Atheism under some type of evolutionary belief. The validity of the religion doesn�t matter in this case. Religion is defined as belief in something.

Let�s name a few religions Wicca, Satanist, Christian, Buddhist do you see a reoccurring theme that runs through these beliefs. They believe in SOMETHING. Atheists don�t. Get it, Got it, Good.

[Edited on 29-3-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 06:13 AM
link   
you got to be kidding me. Religion is for fools and you know it.,thats why its only practiced amongst other fools. I dont see a big difference between the lunatic on the corner and the lunatics on sunday (THE GATHERING OF THE FOOLS)
Suit yourself though,I dont care.
Dont threaten me with the big stupid word,it is impossible for you to make anyone feel stupid,you are a christian.ha,ha

Can you please never tell me again what i believe. You are a christian,proven over time to be about the stupidist people on the planet.
your for me."

P.S We have figured out the world is round,Jesus never died in the way you wish he did,Mary was a hooker, a liar at best,and there is no such thing as an invisible man in the sky having homosexual sex vicariously with your children.Grow up stupid.
Your funny
Get off me you homo and go learn something about the real world,not the pretend make believe of victims.
Of course atheism is not a religion,it is not worship.The word is an insult in itself,labeling a thinker and trying to tie one to religioso. Please,there is already a word for athiests,,,,,capable.

[Edited on 30-3-2004 by ashley]

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 06:41 AM
link   
you got to be kidding me. Religion is for fools and you know it.,thats why its only practiced amongst other fools. I dont see a big difference between the lunatic on the corner and the lunatics on sunday (THE GATHERING OF THE FOOLS)
Suit yourself though,I dont care.
Dont threaten me with the big stupid word,it is impossible for you to make anyone feel stupid,you are a christian.ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,
P.S We have figured out the world is round,Jesus never died in the way you wish he did,Mary was a hooker, a liar at best,and there is no such thing as an invisible man in the sky having homosexual sex vicariously with your children.Grow up stupid.
Your funny
Get off me you homo and go learn something about the real world,not the pretend make believe of victims.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
If, for defining purposes, that Atheism is defined as:
no faith and no belief.....

Then my logic based question would next be:

We believe in ourselves, always the best thing to believe in.

...and no, atheism is not a religious faith. More on William's definitions later...

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Atheism isn't a belief, it's lack of it. Of course, that's not universal and some atheists will scream "I believe there is no God" making them just as gullible and non-thinking as religious people.

To be atheist is not to believe until you can ascertain something. Some atheists KNOW of the existance of God, and therefore do not require belief at all. I know it, but I don't believe it - so if I don't believe in God, am I still an atheist?

The issue is with belief... whether one falls for things just because they sound good, or because someone said you'll go to hell if you don't do as they say, or they try to find out the truth and not let themselves be intimidated by those who just want to control them. Weak-minded sheeple, vs seekers of truth.

I'm not saying that atheists are necessarily seekers of truth... many atheists don't care what the truth is, they just don't like the idea of God so they deny it. You cannot shove'em all into one definition, but you can safely assert that there are very many different "kinds" of Atheists, just like there are many different "kinds" of Christians and so forth.

1. Christian who only follow the Bible because he's terrified of going to Hell - it's his insurance policy.
2. Christian who is convinced that THIS is the only way to heaven
3. Christian who only picks out certain bits and pieces of the Bible, as the rest just makes no logical sense.
4. Christian who has simply been brought up this way, and it's more of a traditional ritual for him than a belief.
5. Christian who only does this on Sundays, and doesn't care the rest of the time.
6. Christian who invades other nations, takes them over, murders millions, and claims God told him to do it. (*hint hint*)

7. Christian thinks God NEEDS him, and LOVES him, so he says he loves and needs God back. Sadly he is not aware at all of what the term love means or what HE means by it, and in what possible way he is needed and what God even is - something common to most Christians.

There ya have it... all Christians, but all different... and there are many many more.

Also, there are different Athiests...

1. Atheist that believes there is no God.
2. Atheist that doesn't BELIEVE anything until he can know for sure.

The main difference is... those who are WILLING to go FIND/SEEK the truth, VS those who sit there waiting for truth to hit'em on the head, VS those who believe things. That was in a progression from "most probable to find truth" to "least probable".

It's not easy to shove all people into the same category, and claim that they are all exactly the same just because they have a label attached to them. They may all share a common characteristic, but there will be differences... thanks to free will.

Also, what in the minds of Christians (any religion will do) is the difference between the word FAITH and the word BELIEF? In your own words please! What does each mean to you, if you see them as different at all...

[Edited on 30-3-2004 by lilblam]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join