It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, after mass shooting, Australia "banned" guns 20 years ago = ZERO mass killings since

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014
a reply to: Jaellma

That, and you are not allowed to enter Australia if you have a criminal record.

Which is completely ironic considering Australia was originally made up of British criminals lol

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: SomeDumbBroad

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: Drunkenparrot

There have been a number of mass shootings since the gun ban...

Monash University Shooting 21 October 2002 Melbourne, Victoria. A shooting spree by Huan Yun Xiang, a student at Monash University

2011 Hectorville siege 29 April 2011 Hectorville, South Australia. A shooting that took place on 29 April 2011, in Hectorville, South Australia. It began after a 39-year-old male, Donato Anthony Corbo, shot four people on a neighbouring property (three of whom died), and also wounded two police officers, before being arrested by Special Operations police after an eight-hour siege.

Hunt family murders 9 September 2014 Lockhart, New South Wales. Murder-suicide shooting spree by Geoff Hunt who killed his wife and three children before turning the gun on himself

Logan shooting 22 October 2014 Logan, Victoria. A shooting murder of a neighbour family (Greg Holmes, 48, his mother Mary Lockhart, 75, and her husband Peter Lockhart, 78) by Ian Francis Jamieson, 63.[

List of massacres in Australia

The wiki shows 3 incidents since 2002 that involved guns with 13 victims across all of them. 5 of the victims were the result of a murder/suicide in one family. Australila is doing much better.

Australia is surrounded by an ocean with ports which mean that the probability of guns getting in that are illegal are faaar less likely than that in the US where we have unprotected boarders.

No, that does not reduce the probability. Not only do they come into ports, gun smithing has been a craft for a couple hundred years.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: khnum
As an Australian whose visited America I can state that it is a totally different culture with regards to guns Australia was not born out of a revolution and there was very little dangerous East-West transmigation and wild west type history here,yes we had rebellions but guns are not an intrinsic part of our culture our solution has worked here for mass shootings but murder and crime still occur probably at greater levels than pre-gun buyback,many Americans do not like foreigners commenting on such matters and do not consider foreign solutions as relevant

I dont know what the answer is but Americans will only accept an American solution.

I dont know what the answer is but Americans will only accept an American solution.

en.wikipedia.org...

Spot on mate!!

A very well stated observation. Your understanding of each countries origins is an important understanding. I think America is always willing to look at 'best idea' or 'gold standard' solutions. But, they do have to be weighed against the intricate laws, culture of its own society. So your comment
about " I dont know what the answer is but Americans will only accept an American solution."

Is spot on Mate

edit on 12-6-2016 by thenightisours because: spelling

edit on 12-6-2016 by thenightisours because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-6-2016 by thenightisours because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I am more concerned for the rising incidences of violent crime rate which is higher than the US, than I am of mass killings. Removing guns does not stop crime. In fact the two links in my sig show that both Australia and Germany have higher rates of violent crime than America.

We will keep our guns, you go ahead and keep them away. Its not as if your free speech has been removed since you gave up the guns. Oh wait, it is a criminal offense to offend someone in Australia under current cyber crime rules, go figure. Makes me wonder though, if I said something offensive to someones face without using a computer, can I walk away scott free??

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
Pfffft

I'd rather deal with mass shootings ... than give up our 2d Amendment Rights.

What would be the point of living in a 'free' country without our rights?

There will always be an ongoing cost to freedom. If we let them take our Constitutional rights the terrorists win.

edit on 2016/6/12 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Monash University Shooting 21 October 2002 Melbourne, Victoria. A shooting spree by Huan Yun Xiang, a student at Monash University

2011 Hectorville siege 29 April 2011 Hectorville, South Australia. A shooting that took place on 29 April 2011, in Hectorville, South Australia. It began after a 39-year-old male, Donato Anthony Corbo, shot four people on a neighbouring property (three of whom died), and also wounded two police officers, before being arrested by Special Operations police after an eight-hour siege.

Hunt family murders 9 September 2014 Lockhart, New South Wales. Murder-suicide shooting spree by Geoff Hunt who killed his wife and three children before turning the gun on himself

Logan shooting 22 October 2014 Logan, Victoria. A shooting murder of a neighbour family (Greg Holmes, 48, his mother Mary Lockhart, 75, and her husband Peter Lockhart, 78) by Ian Francis Jamieson, 63.[

The wiki shows 3 incidents since 2002 that involved guns with 13 victims across all of them. 5 of the victims were the result of a murder/suicide in one family. Australila is doing much better.

Australia is surrounded by an ocean with ports which mean that the probability of guns getting in that are illegal are faaar less likely than that in the US where we have unprotected boarders.

You think a member of the Cartel is going to care about our laws if say he wants to run guns across the boarder of Mexico and arm his boys? Nope...he sure isn't. They don't. So that being said, if I am being asked to disarm myself when I have committed no crime and being forced to be less protected and thus a more vulnerable target, I say No way sis....no freaking way.

I think the Americas are surrounded by oceans too, unless I go to the Arctic Circle.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:29 PM
link   

No, that does not reduce the probability. Not only do they come into ports, gun smithing has been a craft for a couple hundred years.

Having unprotected boarders VS having ports of call where customs are doesn't increase probability. Awkward. Maybe I should retake my statistics class.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   

You think a member of the Cartel is going to care about our laws if say he wants to run guns across the boarder of Mexico and arm his boys? Nope...he sure isn't. They don't. So that being said, if I am being asked to disarm myself when I have committed no crime and being forced to be less protected and thus a more vulnerable target, I say No way sis....no freaking way.

I think the Americas are surrounded by oceans too, unless I go to the Arctic Circle.

Are you intentionally being obtuse to promote your agenda or are you being for real? The United States is the issue not the Americas and we can't control territory North and South of our borders.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

The Mexican border is the problem, not the Arctic Ocean.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: Snarl
Pfffft

I'd rather deal with mass shootings ... than give up our 2d Amendment Rights.

What would be the point of living in a 'free' country without our rights?

There will always be an ongoing cost to freedom. If we let them take our Constitutional rights the terrorists win.

I would never get rid of any ammendment to the constitution. but I don;t think that = the terrorists win. The 2 aren;t really connected. The war on terrorists are mainly conducted in the Middle East and parts of Africa.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Does this confirm that the mass shootings were almost all staged?

On the llicit market, The Australian Crime Commission (ACC) estimates there are approximately 250,000 longarms - such as rifles and shotguns - in circulation and 10,000 illegal handguns.

There is also the grey market - which the AIC spokeswoman described as “longarms that should have been registered or surrendered in the firearm buybacks that accompanied the National Firearms Agreement 1996 but were not” – the size of which is unknown.

"Grey market firearms are not held, used or conveyed for criminal purposes but can end up in the illicit market," she said.​

How many guns are stolen each year in Australia ?
The AIC conducted the National Firearm Theft Monitoring Program from 2004–05 to 2008–09.

The Spokeswoman said in those periods, the average number of firearms reported stolen was 1,545. New South Wales tops the list of states with the highest rates of theft, as shown in this table below:

. . .

Rifles were the most common firearms reported lost or stolen (60 per cent), followed by shotguns (24 per cent) and at the bottom, air rifles and handguns (less than 10 per cent).

The AIC research showed that in the periods surveyed (2005–06 and 2008–09), most firearms were stolen from private residences (76 per cent) followed by vehicles (10 per cent) and business premises (eight per cent).
www.sbs.com.au...

All those illegal guns in the hands of people who clearly don't respect authority. And no mass shootings? This clearly indicates a high probability that psychopaths in power organised mass shootings.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Pretty sure the former would be the correct answer there.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Exactly. The "Americas" is not a country... They are continents.

The United States is a country and is bordered on the North and South by other countries.

Im not sure why this is difficult to grasp

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Yes, for you, that is the root of ALL problems. However, that isn't the case. Oddly, even for you. Within minutes you may say Muslims are the root of our problems. Or that Obama is . Or that people from other countries are overstaying Visas (but not mexicans). Or that Liberals and welfare is the problem.

What, exactly, is the problem?

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Well I WAS talking about the Cartel.... which are based in Mexico...which would be a Mexican boarder issue....

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Are you intentionally being obtuse to promote your agenda or are you being for real? The United States is the issue not the Americas and we can't control territory North and South of our borders.

I just replied to a post, about oceans. T oday, people seem to think they KNOW my agenda. I still haven;t seen anyone properly describe one.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

a reply to: reldra

Well I WAS talking about the Cartel.... which are based in Mexico...which would be a Mexican boarder issue....

THE cartel? Which one?

Are they flooding guns into the US to ruin the country? Has our government bought any?

You leave many, many questions.
edit on 12-6-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

What do the "Americas" in general have to do with the USA?

All land is surrounded by oceans herp derp.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

What do the "Americas" in general have to do with the USA?

All land is surrounded by oceans herp derp.

rephrase. I don;t answer posts with herp or derp.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join