It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, after mass shooting, Australia "banned" guns 20 years ago = ZERO mass killings since

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
mass shootings in America will not stop until gun laws are changed.

However on ATS a huge number of American members just have blinkers on when it comes to this issue, they are so in love with their big guns that they just don't see the problem that the rest of us do.

For a lot of people on ATS this shooting was not a story about a mass shooting but rather the story is how in the aftermath of this they wanted to take their guns.

Has nothing to do with gun laws, lookee here no guns but massive killings in OZ, where there is a will there is a way.

attack by John Bunting, Robert Wagner, and James Vlassakis, a total of 12 bodies were found in acid filled barrels and rainwater tanks 1999

Arson attack by Robert Paul Long, which killed 15 international backpackers 2000

Stabbing attack. 8 children aged 18 months to 15 years killed. Thirty-seven-year-old woman also found injured. The woman, Raina Mersane Ina Thaiday, was later charged with the murder of the children, 7 of whom were hers, plus her niece.[11] 2014

All found here: Source

Mass killings, bombs, arson, knives, acid, poison (cults love this method) and probably a lot more. We need to protect ourselves against the people that want to do us harm. If that is with a gun. I am ok with that. Protection I said!!

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Jaellma

There is a recent thread where Americans attempt to 'debunk this'. But mainly use a website of dubious statistics. Also, they do not know that different countries 'count' different crimes differently.

For example, Sweden describes a sexual crime in more ways than the US does, leading to false statements that it has a higher sexual assault rate than the US.

There have been maybe 3 'mass' shootings in Australia since 2002, but the victim number is 1/5 of what happened in the US just yesterday.

Your OP is correct.

link   
a reply to: AVtech34

And 250,000 people are killed every year due to medical malpractice.

link   
a reply to: thenightisours

Where is a will it always find Its way, I don't get why people like to beat the US constitutional right to arms.

But let them have their fun, I love my rights to gun and rightfully enforce it.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   

There have been a number of mass shootings since the gun ban...

Monash University Shooting 21 October 2002 Melbourne, Victoria. A shooting spree by Huan Yun Xiang, a student at Monash University

2011 Hectorville siege 29 April 2011 Hectorville, South Australia. A shooting that took place on 29 April 2011, in Hectorville, South Australia. It began after a 39-year-old male, Donato Anthony Corbo, shot four people on a neighbouring property (three of whom died), and also wounded two police officers, before being arrested by Special Operations police after an eight-hour siege.

Hunt family murders 9 September 2014 Lockhart, New South Wales. Murder-suicide shooting spree by Geoff Hunt who killed his wife and three children before turning the gun on himself

Logan shooting 22 October 2014 Logan, Victoria. A shooting murder of a neighbour family (Greg Holmes, 48, his mother Mary Lockhart, 75, and her husband Peter Lockhart, 78) by Ian Francis Jamieson, 63.[

List of massacres in Australia

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Let me ask the people who believe guns should be banned....

Have you ever met a criminal? I mean like real, hardened, been to federal prison for murder type of criminal? Please explain to me how this person gives a # about any law....

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofswords

Well I lumped malpractice under negligence

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

Not defending homosexuals but the shooter could have walked into any place such as a Jewish mosque, black church, elementary school and done the deed.

Not sure what your point is.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014

That, and you are not allowed to enter Australia if you have a criminal record.

Haha! Irony.

But yeah, issues way more complex than Guns! Mental health, well-being, socio-economic status...
Would taking away guns stop mass shootings? No. Should gun laws be part of a larger set of reforms aimed at bettering the state of the populous at large, probably, yeah.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Drunkenparrot

Monash University Shooting 21 October 2002 Melbourne, Victoria. A shooting spree by Huan Yun Xiang, a student at Monash University

2011 Hectorville siege 29 April 2011 Hectorville, South Australia. A shooting that took place on 29 April 2011, in Hectorville, South Australia. It began after a 39-year-old male, Donato Anthony Corbo, shot four people on a neighbouring property (three of whom died), and also wounded two police officers, before being arrested by Special Operations police after an eight-hour siege.

Hunt family murders 9 September 2014 Lockhart, New South Wales. Murder-suicide shooting spree by Geoff Hunt who killed his wife and three children before turning the gun on himself

Logan shooting 22 October 2014 Logan, Victoria. A shooting murder of a neighbour family (Greg Holmes, 48, his mother Mary Lockhart, 75, and her husband Peter Lockhart, 78) by Ian Francis Jamieson, 63.[

'
'
I just listed similar murders and the identical source as you..above. I don't think we need tougher gun laws, like so many other problems in this country i.e. illegal immigration, violation of visa stays, we need to first enforce all of the laws on the books that this administration is turning blind eye on, and allowing a surge of criminals to enter our country.
edit on 12-6-2016 by thenightisours because: sentence structure

link   
As an Australian whose visited America I can state that it is a totally different culture with regards to guns Australia was not born out of a revolution and there was very little dangerous East-West transmigation and wild west type history here,yes we had rebellions but guns are not an intrinsic part of our culture our solution has worked here for mass shootings but murder and crime still occur probably at greater levels than pre-gun buyback,many Americans do not like foreigners commenting on such matters and do not consider foreign solutions as relevant I dont know what the answer is but Americans will only accept an American solution.

link   
"Zero mass shootings since the ban."

Lulz. Fail out of the gate.

But yea man aside from all those mass shootings, there's been zero. Nailed it.

link   

The wiki shows 3 incidents since 2002 that involved guns with 13 victims across all of them. 5 of the victims were the result of a murder/suicide in one family. Australila is doing much better.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Drunkenparrot

What you posted is not categorized as MASS killings in Australia. Remember it's 5 or more killed.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Whenever I read something like this my response will ALWAYS be...wait for it...

Move to Australia then.

The 2nd amendment right won't be going anywhere anytime soon, but if you are so fond of Australian gun laws, then move to Australia.

link   

originally posted by: reldra

The wiki shows 3 incidents since 2002 that involved guns with 13 victims across all of them. 5 of the victims were the result of a murder/suicide in one family. Australila is doing much better.

Australia is surrounded by an ocean with ports which mean that the probability of guns getting in that are illegal are faaar less likely than that in the US where we have unprotected boarders.

You think a member of the Cartel is going to care about our laws if say he wants to run guns across the boarder of Mexico and arm his boys? Nope...he sure isn't. They don't. So that being said, if I am being asked to disarm myself when I have committed no crime and being forced to be less protected and thus a more vulnerable target, I say No way sis....no freaking way.
edit on 12-6-2016 by SomeDumbBroad because: (no reason given)

link   
This one was pretty brutal OP

Queensland
Mother arrested for murder after eight children stabbed to death in Cairns

www.theguardian.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I have been a member here for many years and have been opposed to Americas gun addiction/rights etc and have spoken out against them often.

Though I have changed over the last couple of years and have done a complete 180, Americans do not give up your guns!

I think your desperately going to need them on a massive scale in the future. Where Australians for the most part have lost theirs.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Australia has what, a tenth of the population of the US, no borders to literally walk guns over.

And oh yea, no constitutional right to bear arms to begin with.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Australia? The country with one of the highest rates of violent crime in modern society?

Their murder rate went back to pre-gun ban levels almost immediately after the bans. Bad guys are just using different tools for murdering.

This issue has been gone over a million times. Liberals are still ignoring facts to push their sad little agenda.

Here it is. Some facts for you liberals to ignore here:

armsandthelaw.com...
edit on 6/12/2016 by Pyrrho because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join