It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, after mass shooting, Australia "banned" guns 20 years ago = ZERO mass killings since

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

You can almost feel the pain whenever someone mentions taking their toys away.

Another day another mass shooting another mass denial. Same old ATS. Where are all the people from the thread about a granny shooting an intruder? God bless America.

You don't want anyone to take your guns away because you "need them to protect yourself" yet more people are killed because of them.

If you can't see it now then you never will, head in the sand.

Isn't it funny that you bang on about "radical muslims" yet your unwilling to change because of YOUR interpretation of an antiquated document. Nod along like sheep, god forbid you have a logical thought of your own.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 03:06 AM
link   
a reply to: SudoNim

I used to say nearly the same things as you especially when new tragic events happen resulting in American loss of life through their gun culture.

But removing (if that could be even a possibility which I seriously doubt) would only leave and rob responsible law abiding American citizens their right to their own personal defense of themselves and loved ones, in an ever growing screwed up society with nuts bag criminals or Islamic terrorists living amongst the communities who has always seen America as the great Satan, who also can easily get weapons on the black market.

Australia isn`t America and although happy to not have such a gun problem hope that the day doesn't come when most need to be armed and we`re not.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: joemoe
a reply to: namelesss

Reason and logic.

In the the US the average number of gun homicides is declining almost yearly for decades according to FBI stats. I fact it decline almost in half since the 90s.

everytownresearch.org...

Homicide Suicide Unintentional Legal Intervention Undetermined
Intent Total
2010 11,078 19,392 606 344 252 31,672
2011 11,068 19,990 591 454 248 32,351
2012 11,622 20,666 548 471 256 33,563
2013 11,208 21,175 505 467 281 33,636
2014 10,945 21,334 586 464 270 33,599

I don't know what website that you are finding your lies, but I ran the question, and there seem to be plenty calling your 'stats' something that was ass-yanked, or garnered from the NRA.
You would actually believe a FBI site, even IF you got your stats from it?
Seriously?
Why, because it supports your emotional bias?

In the US about 11000 people are murdered by guns each year compared to 250000 who are killed by doctors' carelessness.

I think that you no longer have any credibility in this matter.
And the fallacy that you are attempting is called 'strawman' and 'moving the goal-posts'!
That crap don't wash at this laundry! *__-

In the US guns are use successfully for self defense at least 200000 times a year according to a conservative estimate by the National Crime and Victimization Survey.

www.latimes.com...
"Coincidentally, just 13 hours before those atrocious killings, the Violence Policy Center released a fresh analysis of federal crime and health data that explores how often potential victims actually turned the tables. Parsing 2012 numbers, the center counted 259 justifiable gun-related homicides, or incidents in which authorities ruled that killings occurred in self-defense."

Now you have no credibility.

Here in the US, We have the right to own firearms for protection from criminals and governments if need be. I see the benefits outweigh the negatives. But as always a free society will have it dangers and I accept that.

Dishonest, emotionally unstable people, un-credible people... should NOT be allowed to play with guns!
There goes 99.99999999999...% of the 'Murikkkan population!

I'd offer you something like the following;

www.hsph.harvard.edu...

And suggest that you educate yourself, but that would be a waste of time when you NEED to believe, rather than 'think'!!

edit on 15-6-2016 by namelesss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 06:07 AM
link   
And Australia's homicide and crime rate increased after the gun restricting, as did Great Britain's. Criminals don't like getting shot and its that fear that keeps many of them from total unrestricted behavior.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

Really? You want me to be murdered?

You are the one wishing harm on people just so you can keep your guns. You said the words, not me.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dutchowl
And Australia's homicide and crime rate increased after the gun restricting, as did Great Britain's. Criminals don't like getting shot and its that fear that keeps many of them from total unrestricted behavior.

Proof please.

I know for a fact you are dead wrong, I just want to see you attempt to come up with some proof for your ridiculous statement.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Jaellma

I could give two #s... occasional mass killings, while dispicable and horrible, are acceptible to retain our liberties...PERIOD...

You want to not be a VICTIM? Get a gun, get a CCW and get training. Otherwise, feel free to curl into a ball and put your lives in the hands of terrorists. I WILL NOT!!!!!And you do not have the authority to tell me I MUST!!!!

Jaden
edit on 15-6-2016 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-6-2016 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

how do you recognise who the terrorists are?

lets say, in a busy shopping mall, with 100% of the population having a concealed weapon, legally.
a terrorist comes in, takes out his weapon, and shoots someone. You see this, and take out yours, and shoot him.
someone else, doesn't see the first shooting, but does see you, and thinks you're a terrorist, takes out their weapon, and shoots you. it escalates, as more and more of these concealed weapons start shooting anyone else they see as being a terrorist shooting at innocent civilians...

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: CrastneyJPR

The percentages of the civilian population that have a concealed carry license are already high enough in some states that you'd have likely seen that already if it were going to happen. Instead, the vast majority of people that go out, take a concealed carry class and get their license understand that they're 100% responsible, legally and financially, for every single round that they fire in a potential self-defense situation. They're not going to use it unless they're absolutely certain. Furthermore, its going to be kind of obvious given that the terrorist bad guy likely isn't the one with the snub nose revolver or micro pistol suitable to concealed carry.

That's not to say that there might not be occasional mistakes, but the 'circular firing squad' scenario is exceedingly unlikely.
edit on 15-6-2016 by vor78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Double post.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

You do NOT ban guns. Guns are a check on foreign invasions(worked in WWII),a way to defend yourself from an armed attacker,preventing dictators from genociding the public into mass graves,defending private property,prevent drug cartels and armed gangs from taking over neighborhoods and to prevent robbery.
How are the gangs going to defend their drugs/kidnapped women/money? With a slingshot,a knife or a cheap handgun?
How do the gangs defend themselves against other gangs? You think they can't smuggle guns into the country? You think they will think twice about robbing an unarmed public?

Come on. Get real.

We are not going to ban private ownership and use of arms. It is not a debate. It is a right.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: CrastneyJPR

So your alternative is to let the terrorist kill you.

That makes a lot of sense.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Shootings will stop when the FBI, CIA military etc etc stop training/funding them...this is such a tired, failed and irrelevant thread that comes up after every shooting.

The problem is not law abiding citizens having guns, nor is the problem crazy people getting their hands on guns...THE PROBLEM IS THESE SHOOTINGS ARE BEING AIDED AND ABETTED BY THOSE IN POWER!! WHY DO ALL THESE SHOOTERS HAVE TIES TO THE FBI, CIA OR MILITARY?? WHY IS IT ALWAYS THE HEADLINE OF A "LONE WOLF"?? ALWAYS EYE WITNESS ACCOUNTS OF MULTIPLE SHOOTERS???

I am sorry to yell but it is just so freaking obvious. And after the sinister plot is carried out it is the same old s***. Ban the guns ban the guns...Banning guns won't stop the schemes of those who are orchestrating these events.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
What a joke. Want to know what happened in Australia after the gun buy back? Just watch this short video. Should put things into perspective:

What do you think would happen if this took place in America?
edit on 15 6 2016 by Gh0stwalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
However on ATS a huge number of American members just have blinkers on when it comes to this issue, they are so in love with their big guns that they just don't see the problem that the rest of us do.

You say that like it's a bad thing. I for one am grateful I don't have a paradigm matching the rest of the world. You can keep yours.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

Proof please.

I know for a fact you are dead wrong, I just want to see you attempt to come up with some proof for your ridiculous statement.

www.ncpa.org...

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

Here is a year-by-year breakdown of Australian violent crime and homicides from 1993 to 2013. It appears to me that, taking into account normal year-to-year variance, the number of homicides stayed roughly flat in the wake of the ban until 2004, though notably the high point occurred in 1999 AFTER the ban, while there was a significant spike in several forms of violent crime that lasted for several years before declining, though a couple of which still persist. I don't know how the ban affected any of this, mind you, but the numbers are what they are.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   
There will always be guns around in the USA. Even if peoples fantasies are right and the government wants to take your guns, they still wont be able to confiscate all of them.

Regardless, the Americans who say they need assault rifles to defend themselves in case of government tyranny are deliberately putting targets on their backs. Militant groups, vets, "patriots" can go to war with the government and get slaughtered while the other 70% of Americans will carry on with their mundane, daily lives.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

originally posted by: Kryties

Proof please.

www.ncpa.org...

I bet I could find an article that proves farts smell good, reality is the majority of Aussies feel quite safe wandering around the streets, even in the cities as opposed to the average American who needs to be armed to the teeth just to take a visit to the local gas station....that in itself is very telling is it not ?

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: vor78

So after 20 years:

Murder unchanged
Manslaughter statistically unchanged with a drop in the last year
Total statistically unchanged with a drop in the last year
Sexual assaults increased
Armed Robbery statistically unchanged, with a spike right after the confiscation
(p.s. armed robbery? how is that possible??)
Unarmed robbery statistically unchanged with a spike after the confiscation and now trending downward
Total robbery statistically unchanged

... so what was the benefit to the confiscation? Statistically no change in most crime metrics with an increase in sexual assaults.

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join