It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, after mass shooting, Australia "banned" guns 20 years ago = ZERO mass killings since

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The facts don't lie. After Australia suffered from the mass shooting where 35 people in Port Arthur were massacred, they severely restricted gun ownership to all in Australia. The result is there have been zero mass killings since.

The oft-cited statistic in Australia is a simple one: There have been no mass killings — defined by experts there as a gunman killing five or more people besides himself — since the nation significantly tightened its gun control laws almost 20 years ago.

In the continuing debate over how to stop mass killings in the United States, Australia has become a familiar touchstone.

President Obama has cited the country’s gun laws as a model for the United States, calling Australia a nation “like ours.” On the campaign trail, Hillary Clinton has said the Australian approach is “worth considering.” The National Rifle Association has dismissed the policies, contending that they “robbed Australians of their right to self-defense and empowered criminals” without reducing violent crime.

Australia also instituted a national gun registry and buyback gun program, something the US has failed to do nationwide.

If the US government wants to get things under control, they need to enact nationwide gun programs, extended wait processes for gun purchases and some sort of efficient gun buyback program.

Until that happens, there will continue to be gun massacres across the US, irrespective of sources committing the acts and especially in the gun friendly states, such as Florida.

How Australia ended mass killings

+10 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 04:58 PM
link   
mass shootings in America will not stop until gun laws are changed.

However on ATS a huge number of American members just have blinkers on when it comes to this issue, they are so in love with their big guns that they just don't see the problem that the rest of us do.

For a lot of people on ATS this shooting was not a story about a mass shooting but rather the story is how in the aftermath of this they wanted to take their guns.

+54 more 
link   
a reply to: Jaellma

He was working for a security firm which means he would have had access to guns even if american citizens didnt. Also, if you think illegal arms cant flow across the mexican border, well, thats a bit delusional. 50 years of prohibition hasnt stopped mexican drugs. And australia is surrounded by an ocean on all sides. Furthermore the purpose of the second amendment is a check on,the authoritarian power of government.

+46 more 
link   
I've been waiting for someone to bring this up.

Criminals will break ANY law. Australia is essentially an island, the US is land locked on 2 sides so making sure weapons don't get in is a fantasy. It will happen. So....taking away guns from citizens does absolutely nothing but dissarm law abiding citizens and make them easier targets for criminals.

This is a HUMAN issue...not a weapons issue... At this point I would like to bring up the mass STABBING that occurred a few years ago. If someone wants to take lives, they will. Bombs were also used in Orlando...or at least the substances were there.... Bombs are already illegal. Any thoughts on that?

+38 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Pfffft

I'd rather deal with mass shootings ... than give up our 2d Amendment Rights.

+23 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Screw that.

You are kidding right?

So, if we banned homosexuals, would there have been any victims in the recent gay bar massacre?
edit on 12-6-2016 by Bobaganoosh because: (no reason given)

+67 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
There was a mass shooting in Aus at the end of 2014.

It was all over the news for a week. What on earth are you talking about?

+2 more 
link   

That, and you are not allowed to enter Australia if you have a criminal record.

It's not the gun control; people in Australia are happy...
edit on 702k2016Sundaypm014 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

link   
Out of curiosity...

How many of these countries have gun laws and how many of these attacks are with guns?

How do you expect the government to collect over 300 million guns?

www.thereligionofpeace.com...

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
Pfffft

And this is why America is fyckd !
Great attitude YAWN !

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

I also remember hearing about that. Can you provide a link? I would but I am on my phone and it gets jacked up when I try,

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bobaganoosh
Screw that.

You are kidding right?

So, if we banned homosexuals, would there have been any victims?

of what?

+15 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Australia doesn't have an open border problem like the U.S. does do they?

+14 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Denoli

originally posted by: Snarl
Pfffft

And this is why America is fyckd !
Great attitude YAWN !

America is screwed because we don't want to disarm ourselves especially in the wake of tradgedy in order to placate certain political agendas and make ourselves even more susceptible to attack? Got it.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: SomeDumbBroad

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

I also remember hearing about that. Can you provide a link? I would but I am on my phone and it gets jacked up when I try,

en.m.wikipedia.org...

+22 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Australia didn't have a Second Amendment either. Our Bill of Rights are rights not given to us by the government, so the government cannot take them away. We're different. Always have been. Always will be.

link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Thank you!

link   
a reply to: xuenchen

No they don't, neither a constitution with open freedoms to his citizens, now let see, right to guns, constitutional right, nah, never going to happen, guns will never be banned in the US without a backlash from the real American people, no the fake ones that claims to be Americans but their alliances are somewhere else.

link   
As others have stated, Australia is surrounded by water so illegal flows are much more difficult. The USA has Canada to the North and Mexico to the South. Getting rid of legal firearms simply means that people will not have the means to protect themselves. Murder is illegal as are many other activities, but does this mean people do not commit these actions? Of course not. We need to be able to defend ourselves, both from criminals and the government should it overreach or become authoritarian. Some will argue it already is/has and I won't say they're wrong completely.

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
More people are killed due to negligence, ban stupid people. More people are killed by hammers than AR-15s, ban construction tools. More people are killed or injured in DUI wrecks, ban booze and cars. How long do I need to go on before you realize banning the tool is not the answer. A punk ass rich kid killed four people in a dui wreck guess who we blamed?
edit on 12-6-2016 by AVtech34 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join