It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After 10 Years It Is Time For Me To Throw In The Towel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Quite a number of you will be saying to say it isn't so. I will say that this has been coming for a long time now. More than a year of thinking about it to be honest. So on my tenth anniversary of joining as a member, performing duties as a moderator and appearing in various capacities on multiple radio shows... I am FINALLY making an introduction thread.

A few of you know that I first visited ATS on June 6, 2006 (the infamous 6/6/6 date that was highly celebrated in Hell, Michigan). I was an Over The Road Truck Driver engaged in a 34 hour restart in western state. My guess would be either San Antonio, Texas or Oklahoma City, Oklahoma but that would take some research on my part through old logs to find out for certain. Like many newcomers, it was a Google search that brought me here. Specifically looking up conspiracy theories surrounding the JFK assassination in order to incorporate them into an idea for a role-playing game that was never ran because I didn't find exactly what I was looking for and I am a bit lazy when it comes to writing up adventures anyway.

What I found impressed me. Coherent discussions, orderly site moderation and an overall feel that no one was really the withdrawn basement dwelling raving lunatic that conspiracy theorists are depicted as stereotypically. So with an open forum (that was quite a bit more open format—for example the Survival Forum did not yet exist which is my most prolific forum for thread writing) and other avenues of discussion were on different sites such as BTS, PTS and ATSNN.

The changes I have seen over the years are almost always positive for the membership as a whole despite the grumblings to the changes. And I like many have mourned the losses of some changes despite not understanding the benefit of their removal at the time.

Other changes were the personal elation of seeing members that I interacted with on regular basis become elevated to the staff over the years, Mods that became Supers or Admins and making friends with numerous people...even ones that I disagree with politically, spiritually or even their take on a subject like 9/11 or UFO's and Aliens. Part of “getting it” is the realization that ATS is first and foremost a community, rather than just a Conspiracy Site. That we can disagree without being disagreeable and just downright nasty (as some devolve to become) to one another. Which is when staff have to go from just members to moderators.

Some may ask what is the worst thing I have seen on ATS in this past decade and I would have to say the public banning of a member. He wasn't the first and was not the last, but at the time it was HUGE. There wasn't a regularly participating member that didn't take notice. And I would estimate that a minimum of 85% of the membership agreed that it had to be done. But the jury was somewhat divided on that it had to be publicly done. And yes I was a member at the time. And no, we do not need to discuss names or point links to the matter. But it is out there for those that want to research it.

At this point people are going to say, “Well that is a nice retrospect thread, but where is the introduction part?” Okay, greedy bastages:

My interest in conspiracy goes hand in hand with my interest in ghost stories and other folk lore. I have read volumes on the subjects going back over 30 years. At the University of Tennessee several shelves in the library are dedicated to the subjects including extensive collections of local lore. The Bell Witch being the most famous on the subject including supposed accounts of Andrew Jackson's investigation and never returning to the Bell House. My fascination with such topics has more to do studying the human reaction than the topic itself. For me, explanations as paranormal matter goes hand in hand with the suppositions and hoop jumping often used in creating conspiracy theories. And I enjoy studying how these things form to become accepted fact to various groups.

From these beliefs, I can better understand the formation of local lore and local primitive religions like what is considers Greek or Norse Mythology today. Or how every area has a common story about the lovers parked in a car and they drive off when they hear a news alert on the radio about a psycho killer with a hook for a hand and they find a hook dangling off the door handle when they get home.

But to sum it up, been here ten years. Here's to ten more.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Here's to ten more!

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Wow and I thought I was a procrastinator! Thanks for that though.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Happy ATS Anniversary to you!

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 02:29 AM
link   

I don't believe in ghosts or goblins, however I do believe that you have contributed to making this site more civilized and hope that it will catch on with the new members.

I believe we are moving to a higher place as a planet. There is just no stopping it. The PTB are scrambling and catching on that the old status quo is being adjusted. This inevitably engenders upheaval to some extent in our emotional state and our physical state. Look for geological action on Earth and increased mental disturbance/adjustment in its populace. People are waking up at an astounding rate. We will get though this.

Cheers,
Blue Wolf

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Nicely delivered !

May your next ten be a joy for you !

🏅

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Happy 10th banniversary Ahab!
Is that your current cat or just favorite cat?

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 03:51 AM
link   

WELCOME, BROTHER!

Took me ten years, too...

Good to meet you.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

No, that is just Hoover the outdoor cat. He was coming out of his $10 cat house. I figured it was a good combo shot and then said what the heck.

Maybe I will dig up something old or new.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: stabstab

Pfft, took me nearly three years to hit one thousand posts. I am in no real hurry about things. In fact I embody the phrase don't stress the small stuff.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Congratulations on ten years. I've been around here skulking in the shadows for around ten years also. Most people I know thought I was a nut job when I first started talking to them about what is really going on in this world of ours. Now all of them are looking at me asking how did you know we can see it now.

This is proof of the awakening public to the truth. Everyone I know is starting to realize that something big and wondrous is about to occur. Some think bad and some think good. We live in a scary world now. I live in holiday Florida about 2 hours from Orlando. This nite club situation last night is hitting close to home considering the mess my little town is in. Gangs drugs and prostitution are running rampent in my area.

It has truly gotten to the point that one of the sheriff in this town has informed me that having the iron order MC help police the neiborhoods as they are short handed and it can take as much as an hour to get to a situation which is very bad.

Some of us are starting watches in the area and it has made things a little quieter but we still have stuff going on. Hearing gun shots almost every night and have had two stabbings in our area in the last 2 weeks.

So anyway just keep faith. Keep your eyes and ears open. And have an awesome day and week everyone.

edit on 12-6-2016 by DarkStarRising because: add on

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Congratz !
S&F to you Sir !

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

You had me worried at the "throwing in the towel" part. I thought you were double clutching downhill outta here!

Salute to ten more!

Best, MS

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Well hello and happy anniversary.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
So you're going to throw the towel into the washing machine and clean it up? Bummer. So what will you have to say in the next ten years. Your a professional conspiracy theorist now.
edit on 12-6-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Congratulations. What a nice perspective. All the best to you and looking forward to on your new 10 year journey!

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Whew !

Grateful to realize you're not actually throwing in the towel.

And by the way, I think I'm going to follow in your sage footsteps and make my intro thread on my 10th anniversary too.

Come to think of it, that's a helluva way to ensure longevity of the members around this place.... patiently having to wait around for 10 years to introduce one's self before one can jump ship !

You might be onto something here...

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Pffft... nothing to see here folks... move on please...

Kidding.... Congrats on 10 !!!

join