It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The dumbest thing I've ever heard

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I just read about some Christians who believe the aliens are demons and the reason Mars is so desolate because of the war between Lucifer and the angels. They claim that those planets were the Devil's domain.

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Just to think Christian's used to believe that epilepsy was a sign that one was possessed.

Be warned maynardsthirdeye, that notion that you scoff at is not held ONLY by those of Christian faith.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I am quite adamant that there have been dumber things said and done. But...

Mars is named by homo sapiens after the God of War. It is where I come from. Never met Lucifer or any modern-day Satanists there.

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Funniest thing i've ever heard....
"Its 100% Beef"

Especially in a McDonalds

posted on Jun, 17 2003 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Yours has been a fortunate life indeed, Maynards3rd, and - plainly -one spent entirely avoiding political journalism, if this is the dumbest thing you've ever heard.
Search on Cydonia for more background on this particular flavour of drivel; but do not judge "Christians" in the light of this: just as we would not hold the babblings of a Peruvian yam-digger to be canonical on matters of Catholic doctrine.

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I don't make up my mind about a group of people because of a few people. For example, I don't disapprove of all Southern Baptists because of Fred Phelps nor do I make up mind about any Christian doctrine because of some people I don't like. I don't agree with Christianity because of its teachings.

I don't think it was the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life. I just liked using that as my subject title.

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Woah woah woah....Wait...Surely this isn't going to become a "I-Hate-Christians-and-Catholics" Fan club is it? I am a Roman Catholic, but I am not closed-minded as many think, about taking their Religion so seriously...please don't Christians...

-Peace

-Mac

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 06:52 PM
link   
What's about venus ? And therefore, any other planets ?

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Dude that sounds like something the Raelinans would say... LOL

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Mac223,

Well, I hope it doesn't degenerate to that. I just want to make perfectly clear that I do not think that Mars turned out the way it is because of angelic wars, nor do I think all Catholics are yam-diggers...I'm serious!!!

(p.s. Maynard...I'm going to ignore those S.B. comments above..

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by maynardsthirdeye
I just read about some Christians who believe the aliens are demons and the reason Mars is so desolate because of the war between Lucifer and the angels. They claim that those planets were the Devil's domain.

The only thing dumb about it, is how dumb is spelt. Why not?

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Actually that belief is heretical. The actual battle was fought on the planet which used to be between Mars and Jupiter. It got blown apart during the war. That is where the asteroids come from. (Before you all go off - this is humor - my tongue is stuck firmly in my cheek). Question - where did you get this information from maynardsthirdeye? What group of Christians, what denomination? Or did you read this at some skeptic site which claims that some Christians believe this? Since you just read this information, you should be able to post the source.

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Well, suffice to say, it was some fanatical minority group...

thank goodness!

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Valhall, you can not assume that this is some fanatical Christian group because they may have what may be considered eccentric concepts about Martian history. Based on the information given, you can not assume that they are fanatics - you may just assume some of their doctrines are wierd - that is all. For all we know the group be refered to are among the "Jesus will return in a flying saucer" category. More information is required to ascribe fanaticism.

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Jag,

I concur. Shall we say "fringe", or "extreme"...I feel very comfortable with either.

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I would use the word "fringe" since extreme still implies fanaticism. However, I still would like to know where did maynardsthirdeye get this information since he claimed that he read it. Surely he could be able to post a book title or a web address from where it came. This sounds just like some of the stuff I seen posted on skeptic web sites with the intention of Christian bashing (I. e., Christians are so dumb that they believe ......). Most of that stuff is pure drivel (but the skeptics sure lap it up). Without a reference to a group,a book,or a web site, it could be something that he just made up. I have never heard of any Christian group which had a doctrinal stance that Satan and the angels fought a war on Mars. So my question is - who are these people? Where is the evidence that they believe that a spiritual war was fought on Mars?

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I stumbled, one day when I was looking about some informations on the Mars region of Cydonia, upon some sites that was suposing that there was some relations with this region and the angels ( or any other celestial being ) ... I'll looked at it but any way, they are pure aberation of fact to me.

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Actually if memory serves this is one of those issues related to more ancient beliefs with respect to the function of planets.

Several groups all over the world do not subscribe to the idea that what is being presented by science is real.

It is viewed as a trick caused by the devil in other words, while they are prepared to accept that the earth is not flat. All the other interpretations made with regard to what is outside our atmosphere, are
the same as presented by the Church since the days of Copernicus (for example and in respect to Christians).

A couple of years ago a video tape was shown to a tribe, which while they knew about televisions and VCRs had never been exposed to American culture.

The video tape was of a National Geographic version of life in America. It depicted the lifestyle from the context of living in a major city for the most part.

Most if not all the members of the tribe treated the show as a joke. Presented that it was impossible for people to be living that way and ridiculed the person who presented the tape for claiming it was real.

The idea that Aliens are Demons is not at all specific to just one sect of one faith, for the sake of convenience though have included the attached as an example....

eth.faithweb.com...

As far as Satan and Mars this one was like the other not hard to find....

www.mt.net...

As Estragon has stated dumb is not the word but stereotyping a group per say is really not what makes for understanding why its out there.

Any thoughts?

[Edited on 1-7-2003 by Toltec]

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 09:59 PM
link   
There are some wierd people out there that believe wierd and exotic things. Just because thier christian doesn't mean anything.

Nightwalker

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 10:10 PM
link   
VERY good points. Let us see if he answers to you

I believe he should feel obliged to do so.

Regards,

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join