It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Ancient Oracle Well to Apollo Unearthed in Athens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   
First Ancient Oracle Well to Apollo Unearthed in Athens

Archeologists discovered an oracle well, which is at least 1,800-years-old and may be the first ancient oracle to Apollo found in Athens. Moreover, the prophecy at the sanctuary seems to be much older.

According to Haaretz, the oracle well was found by the team led by Dr. Jutta Stroszeck , director of the Kerameikos excavation on behalf of the German Archaeological Institute at Athens. It is the first time that an oracular edifice to Apollo has been discovered in Athens. Although, for centuries it was believed that the center of Apollo's cult was located in Delphi, the most recent discovery may challenge this theory. The oracle well was located in the Temple of Artemis Soteira.

“Water, and in particular drinking water, was sacred. In Greek religion, it was protected by nymphs, who could become very mischievous when their water was treated badly."

This well was used for hydromancy. Which is a method of divination by means of water. Painting by John William Waterhouse

First Ancient Oracle Well to Apollo Unearthed in Athens -Ancient Origins

More from another source-Blog

In 2012 during some cleaning work on the site, the German Archaeological Institute found that the omphalos was mounted on a marble slab that covered an opening. Last year, the omphalos was raised with a crane to reveal what it had been concealing for thousands of years: a circular well nine meters (30 feet) deep constructed out of semi-cylindrical clay tiles engraved with more than 20 inscriptions of the phrase “ΕΛΘΕ ΜΟΙ Ω ΠΑΙΑΝ ΦΕΡΩΝ ΤΟ ΜΑΝΤEΙΟΝ ΑΛΗΘΕΣ,” which translates to “Come to me, O Paean, and bring with you the true oracle.” Paean was an epithet of Apollo, son of Zeus and brother of Artemis. The repeated phrase was a prayer, an invocation to the deity that he reveal faithful and accurate answers to believers’ questions.
(being lowered into it) The shaft is only about 65 cm in diameter (just over two feet) which makes it a very tight fit for archaeologists to explore. Still, researchers were lowered in cautiously by crane. The style of the inscriptions place them in the Roman period, probably the third century, but the well is likely to have been in place much earlier.

I enjoy looking into these archeological finds. Also, though this was interesting to share as a break from the monotony of the political season. Hope to hear about more recent finds out of the ancient site where it was discovered.

Thoughts?
edit on 11-6-2016 by dreamingawake because: font size correction, capitalization

edit on 11-6-2016 by dreamingawake because: same

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Absolutely sensational news

I read something about sacred water in Athens and I just wish
I could remember it to see if this is in the same area.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
DP
edit on 11-6-2016 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz
Absolutely sensational news

I read something about sacred water in Athens and I just wish
I could remember it to see if this is in the same area.

Thanks, nice additional info if you do run across it.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Very cool, I'm going to have a look around and see if i can find anything to add.
edit on 12-6-2016 by DarkvsLight29 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join