It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare event : Worlds Largest Flower; The Corpse to bloom Live Feed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Any Botany geeks?
Pittsburgh Conservatory has set up a live feed to the 12-40 hour bloom period of the rare Corpse Flower
which blooms every seven years or so, Its about to bloom so the Conservatory is remaining opened.

Watching a flower bloom is a beautiful experience, but it's not normally something you would wait in line to see. The exception: corpse flowers, one of which is set to bloom at the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens in Pittsburgh any day now.

The unique plant is one of the rarest on the planet, and it's the largest flower in the world not attached to a branch. Properly known as Amorphophallus titanum, the corpse flower gets its moniker from the pungent smell it emits once it blooms. The plant also changes color to blood red—resembling meat—and increases its temperature to make the odor spread even further. Lovely!

LIVE FEED
phipps.conservatory.org...
edit on 11-6-2016 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

Nice I think the green house on macanaw Island In Michigan has a huge one of those.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Is that the flower from the Dennis the Menace movie? It's been ages since I've seen it, but in the movie Mr. Wilson was taking care of a rare flower that was enormous and he had it for years it was on the verge of blooming and Dennis ruined everything and it bloomed and died and he never got a chance to see it.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

I enjoy gardening myself, and have always been fascinated by this flower. I will be keeping an eye on it. Thanks for the heads up!

a reply to: MayanBoricua

that is the exact same flower, although the blooming process was sped up for the movie, it does pretty much unfold just like that!

edit on 6/11/2016 by AmericanRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: MayanBoricua

LOL!
Same one I think, except Mr Wilson didn't pass out from the stench, and it usually stays open for 12-48 hours so he would not have missed it's bloom
Too funny, I forgot about that scene.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: MayanBoricua

Is that the flower from the Dennis the Menace movie? It's been ages since I've seen it, but in the movie Mr. Wilson was taking care of a rare flower that was enormous and he had it for years it was on the verge of blooming and Dennis ruined everything and it bloomed and died and he never got a chance to see it.

that was the first thing to come to mind when I read the OP, and it actually resembles the corpse flower in a way, as it turns blood red real quick, but the flower in the movie laughably withers after 5 seconds. According to the movie it was called the Night blooming Orchid I believe, or Moon orchid or something like that.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I think the description is overly gentle. I've heard the flower smells like rotting flesh. It's said to be very sickening.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Well this is odd. Remember when we were next door and I posted that one flower and then we went on to discuss a bit and I mentioned I was watching somewhere online about the flower blooming on live cam? This is the one I was talking about. Same conservatory and everything.

This was awhile back too. I know it had to of bloomed by now. I feel like I'm in a weird glitch now...
Cue Twilight Zone theme song

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: onehuman

That's weird, It has bloomed and it on its last legs from their site.

edit on 11-6-2016 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
The corpse flower at the Denver Botanic Gardens bloomed last year, I went and it was a very rotten smell. Kind of like old socks and rotting meat...

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   

I am annoying your thread. Auto spell!!! Enjoying your thread. Will the Corpse Flower grow on your land?

top topics

join