It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did someone big get hit recently?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I attempted to make a purchase with my debit card yesterday and it was declined, no biggie I used my "backup". It was declined as well.

I called my banks (separate states) and both representatives told me that there had been a data breach at a vendor and my card was cancelled for my own protection.

My GF got a letter in the mail today that her card will be cancelled soon and a new one issued (due to a data breach).

Both of her sons have had their cards cancelled by their banks today as well.

Anyone know anything about this?

I searched but couldn't find anything, though I admit to having rather weak search skills.

If nothing else, thanks for filling my head with worry over the "zombie apocalypse". At least the pantry is full

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

Only big thing I can find in the news is the Wendy's breach back in January, but recent news has just come out stating that the breach was much worse than stated

The banks might have been reacting to this news

krebsonsecurity.com...

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

The only card not working for me is my Chase credit card for some reason. I usually just pay cash though. I only wanted to use it recently for some cash back rewards, but it declined even though it has plenty of line and payments are made.

Eh, I just been using cash mostly anyways so I guess I did not notice other than that.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 07:09 PM
link   
It could be the Wendy's debacle (though I bank in Michigan and Texas). Hard to believe both would be caught up in that net.

I usually pay with cash most times as well, something like this really opens the eyes to not having access to it.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

The delivery drivers where I work noted the other day that people's debit cards were not working (same situation as yours).

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=20840574]200Plus[/post
I've had a few cards declined the last few days. They were gas cards from two major companies.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Nothing like that, but I did have to change my Netflix password recently, because they said my account might have been compromised, in some sort of breach.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Not sure if it's related, but my x bank just pulled a "data breach" we are issuing new cards. We have 2 accounts, both of us received new cards with rfid tracking updates.

Do your old one have the beast chip?

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

One did one didn't.

Both were cancelled and reissued though.

It must have happened sometime midweek I am assuming, though that would be the reaction and not the event.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Just yesterday I had to call my bank after I noticed unauthorized activity. Someone had used my card number at a series of liquor/convenience stores halfway across the country for where I live. Glad I caught it!

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   
It might have something to do with the decryption hub for the new data Chip encrypted credit cards. Processing payments using these cards slowed to a crawl this past Thursday for a few hours. If that data backbone crashes, millions of transactions are declined. Sometime it can be just certain cards from certain lending institutions. It's crazy complicated, from what I'm told.

Hackers and Crooks have almost succeeded in forcing security experts to bring a sector of our banking system to its knees. The more layers of security and encryption you build into a system, the more likely it will crash...and the more frequently it will do so. Common sense stuff.

There's got to be a better way than the road we're currently driving down. It keeps getting narrower and narrower.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Interesting. I swear they are creating intentional breaks in security for "market stimulation" in a slow economy.

We got our new cards in the mail, the sticker on the cards said "call this number to activate."
I called the number and they said "thank you for activating...

No id verification, or acct verification.

Pretty sketchy

top topics

join