It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the two party cartel preventing Jill Stein from being in the debates?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Gary Johnson is polling higher and has more support than she does and I doubt he will get on. You have to have 15 percent in the polls. However they dont mention which ones and typically arent even included in the polls. So the question should be why arent any 3rd party candidates allowed on the debate stage?

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 01:46 AM
link   
a reply to: John_Rodger_Cornman

Don't get me wrong, I want the other parties to get an equal share of the limelight. But I see it like the entertainment business. Independent artists and record labels have to build up a large buzz on their own before the major shows will play them. But it's a lot easier for new artists to get on those same shows if they're signed to an major label and have music biz insiders backing them.

In short, money and power talk. If the 3rd parties want prime time coverage in the US, they've got prove they can bring in good advertising dollars. Because people tend to forget that these televised debates need a lot of viewers to justify the network's high advertising rates, the high sponsor fees for each debate, etc.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: John_Rodger_Cornman

I always see libertarian on my local ballots. I sometimes vote for them too. Do you?

Here's the thing: change like you want starts at the local level, not at the top. If trickle down doesn't work, then it doesn't work with politics either.
edit on 12-6-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: asmall89
Gary Johnson is polling higher and has more support than she does and I doubt he will get on. You have to have 15 percent in the polls. However they dont mention which ones and typically arent even included in the polls. So the question should be why arent any 3rd party candidates allowed on the debate stage?

It's embarrassing the number of people that don't even know there are 3rd party candidates running. We're talking millions of people. I bring up the name "Johnson" in a casual conversation about the election and people say "who?"

Just goes to show how few people educate themselves on the candidates and decide their voting habits based on what popular media tells them

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
You have to have some sort of limits as to who gets in the debates? Where do you draw the line? Should all 2 dozen plus national parties be allowed? And as much as people complain about the way the GOP and DNC choose candidates all the other parties do it the old way where their is no national vote. What it really comes down to is none of the other national parties have any wide scale appeal, they are all niche parties. People say do we not have any other choices and you point out the other and they well not them. Why should the GOP and DNC give there parties a chance when the voters clearly do not?

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
You have to have some sort of limits as to who gets in the debates? Where do you draw the line? Should all 2 dozen plus national parties be allowed? And as much as people complain about the way the GOP and DNC choose candidates all the other parties do it the old way where their is no national vote. What it really comes down to is none of the other national parties have any wide scale appeal, they are all niche parties. People say do we not have any other choices and you point out the other and they well not them. Why should the GOP and DNC give there parties a chance when the voters clearly do not?

Sad but so true.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
You have to have some sort of limits as to who gets in the debates?Let the people decide which party gets to debate. I am not a King. I don't make decrees Where do you draw the line? Should all 2 dozen plus national parties be allowed? Let the people decide how many parties they can see on TV debating with the GOP and the Democrats And as much as people complain about the way the GOP and DNC choose candidates all the other parties do it the old way where their is no national vote. At least they don't rig their elections with super-delegates or have what happened in Colorado happen What it really comes down to is none of the other national parties have any wide scale appeal,Define wide appeal they are all niche partiesDefine niche. People say do we not have any other choices and you point out the other and they well not them. Why should the GOP and DNC give there parties a chance when the voters clearly do not? We are not asking for the authoritarian left and right to give us a chance. We are asking for the networks on TV to give us a chance.

Why is just two parties the minimum? Who made that rule?

What is wrong with people having a wider choice of DIFFERENT points of view?

The GOP and the Democrats are too similar. We need more choice.
Hillary and Trump are awful choices.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join