It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS - Needs moderation - no support

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: WAstateMosin
The people running this site HAVE the power to make things right, but they won't, because to them, it's 'more fun this way'.

While I agree with some of your posts, I will disagree here. I know for a fact the owners do care. They are just tired of it all. I have seen skepticovrlord's rants and he means well, but sadly even those rants went unheard by those who continue to character assassinate. To be honest I feel bad for them, but they also have to try and maintain balance in the site, and that is also extremely hard to do if you are an owner, because you are then pinned against the wall.

I would not want to be in their shoes right now.

edit on th2016000000Sundayth000000Sun, 12 Jun 2016 15:14:07 -0500fAmerica/ChicagoSun, 12 Jun 2016 15:14:07 -0500 by SoulSurfer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Triton1128
Why have forums about UFO's or threads about Atlantis / Lost civilization if all you do is allow naysayers to scat on ANYONE who wants to think out side the box? This site has much potential but I feel its been in free fall for years now.

Moderate ATS. Do your job. Want me to stop using ad block, want me to donate my hard earned money to support your site? Make it one I'd WANT to support. Kick out users that don't support WHY this site was created in the first place. Heck Id PAY to have you boot a few people if it meant allowing lurkers to feel like they could actually post their thoughts without being burned at the stake.

/RANT OVER

I been here since 6th September 2004, watched the site grow to a Global brand almost. And I love this place, but I come on my terms, live and let live and smile or ignore people who may fuss over small details that can be not important
This is a comment from the post,
Orlando Nightclub Massacre 'and same kind of comment.

originally posted by: 200Plus
a reply to: TinfoilTP

I have been on ATS for a few years. Every day I see posts that make me mad.Some posters infuriate me just by my seeing their avatar in threads. This post simply sickened me. 50 people have been killed and you still feel the need to offer sophomoric anti-homosexual slurs against the victims while the bodies are still on the ground.

You lack all human decency. I hope you get cancer of the naughty bag and live a long life.

When we have strong opinions or get involved in any debate over any subject, sadly we will make people angry or hate. Because I have strong opinions I get hate most days. I think we have choice to not allow hate to cause more hate by not feeding hate back, also we can ignore. I learn hard way to just sidestep hate opinions or comments I don't agree with. Not aimed at any one person here, but if we want to exist in what often can be a nasty online experience, we must or at least try to enjoy being online and not feed the emotions or comments we find offensive.

All I can say is 'It works for me'

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: shauny

from a humane and empathetic point of view, that comment is well justified because care & humanity should always come first before any other opinions or political point of view. It is (and should be) a normal reaction from anyone who empathizes with the victims.

The world does lack care, but some wont realize it until it hits closer to home. Was the user wrong with wishing someone ill? In a way yea, but it is also understandable why he would react that way.
edit on th2016000000Sundayth000000Sun, 12 Jun 2016 16:12:24 -0500fAmerica/ChicagoSun, 12 Jun 2016 16:12:24 -0500 by SoulSurfer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Thequotes are not working properly.Below is my comment:

No, that is not what the person I was replying to meant. Completely different person and thing.

Your reply to Triton1128 in that thread- I would imagine in Ancient Civilizations-, is smug, lazy and has no backup other than telling him/her to search through all of ATS for proof.

Only when taken out of context.

At least, what you attempted to quote.

That is, it HAD already been explained - on previous pages of the same thread and in other recent (for that section) conversations.
Not with chicken bones and hammerstones, by the way. The metallurgy of the area was quite advanced centuries before the Inca moved in.

Yet note the "chicken bone" reference anyway.

The above was a decent example of what I was talking about in the simplified scenario I laid out earlier. Ignore the evidence provided, construct a (chicken bone) straw man then accuse a poster of claiming your straw man in order to have a leg to stand on.
A straw leg.

Harte

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

a reply to: mysterioustranger

I did leave for a while. For several years due to what I see happening now. I lurked and came back during a lull when the forum didn't seem as congested with trolls. Its not just me that feels this way, or I wouldn't have the support I do. If you were thorough with following this thread, do you not see the many other members that agree?

Sure.
Much of what is pointed out here is the reason I don't post in other sections.

The political sections are an utter waste of time and energy. Behavior there is reprehensible.
Almost as bad is the UFO section, which i do sometimes read and rarely post in.

But I have no knowledge about how these other sections were years ago. Like I said, I limit myself to what I'm interested enough in to post about which, at this site, is primarily the ancient past.
There is much less room for opinion when up against established facts or data, unlike things like political leanings or faith-based beliefs, which make up the brunt of ATS (including conspiracies of all types.)

Harte

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

No, that is not what the person I was replying to meant. Completely different person and thing.

Your reply to Triton1128 in that thread- I would imagine in Ancient Civilizations-, is smug, lazy and has no backup other than telling him/her to search through all of ATS for proof.

That is, it HAD already been explained - on previous pages of the same thread and in other recent (for that section) conversations.
Not with chicken bones and hammerstones, by the way. The metallurgy of the area was quite advanced centuries before the Inca moved in.

The above was a decent example of what I was talking about in the simplified scenario I laid out earlier. Ignore the evidence provided, construct a (chicken bone) straw man then accuse a poster of claiming your straw man in order to have a leg to stand on.
A straw leg.

Harte

Harte,

The reason I replied to that thread is because several of you seem to know quite a lot about a culture that doesn't really have any history, as they had no written language. From Wikipedia :

The site has suffered from looting and amateur excavations since shortly after Tiwanaku's fall, archeologists must try to interpret it knowing that materials have been jumbled and destroyed. This destruction continued during the Spanish conquest and colonial period, and during 19th century and the early 20th century. Other damage was committed by people quarrying stone for building and railroad construction, and target practice by military personnel.

Its amazing how you know about their metallurgy and architecture, yet.. they had no written language. No one has ever found any of their metal tools. Hence my comment about chicken bone's, and stone hammers. They were a very primal culture.

^ This is a prime example of why I stopped posting in that thread.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

a reply to: projectvxn
-- snip --
I'm not asking anyone to believe what I believe. I'm asking to have a humane conversation with like minded people regarding topics we all have interest in.

I hope that before you go giving up on ATS you spend some time doing what I had to learn to do. There are only a very few fellow members that I don't respond to, but they convinced me it was at best pointless and at worst, they complained the minute they managed to get a rise out of me (even if I'd tried to use humor in my reply).

It's a shame it has to be that way, but we live in an imperfect world. Just think of it as a temporary change to how you react and see how it goes. With a little effort, I've learned to just hang up on "cold calls" to our phone number without waiting for them to take a breath or any kind of response. The second I realize it's a cold call, the phone goes back on the receiver...

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Triton1128

They get all of my threads shut down, i have left this site for huge gaps, six months to a year a times, because it is a troll fest... it friggin ticks me off.

Your opening post was sooooo friggin true, and needed to be said!

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: AVtech34
a reply to: imod02

There are several people, some very vile sjw types that all type and think the same way, I'm convinced they are all the same person, or know eachother in real life. There are also a few heavily biased moderators that will ban you if you argue against them. This site stopped being about conspiracies and more about sjw topics.

I got a warning from ATS for arguing with them. Read tthough all my posts on that thread. Couldn't figure out what warning was for.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Hello.

I personally don't mind unmoderated forums provided bots cannot flood discussions and I am given the ability to block or ignore people. I happen to be an adult and sophisticated enough to know not to feed the trolls, even if the majority of the human population cannot.

I am greedy. I do not participate in these threads to pummel others with my own opinions. I want more knowledge and information. If folks are willing to share that with others, I will take in all that I can.

But I certainly understand the desire for moderators. Facebook admitted that they conducted an experiment in which they posted content in order to manipulate the emotional state of their members. So Noam Chomsky's Manufactured Consent is in full swing. If you folks can jigger effective monitoring and moderating so that it works, quelling the trolls while fostering an environment conducive to coherent, productive discourse...I will tip my hat to you.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   

I do. Let me clarify further. I think in an ever-changing world...the moderation here and overview we get are above par for what we are.

And what we are is ever changing, and the mods and controls must go with the changes. I agree with you on a lot of what you say...and its for that reason..we both belong here. And the trolls and loonies too. They will always come and go. The mods have to sometimes just let them roll....

I think its an opportunity for you and me and the rest of us to learn what to read, how deep we go...and when to move on to the next thread.

Thanks very much for your reply!

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: hidingthistime

May I just say maybe its because of the subject-forums you were in at the time? Sometimes, its just those kinds of forums.

Not all-topic forums have those issues.....

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   
You're suggesting that we stifle someone's free speech, just because it doesn't fit into your paradigm of Political Correctness? Like it or not, you're not always going to see or hear everything the way you want to.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   
this is a rant i can get behind! a few members come to mind that constantly "crap" over peoples ideas in the aliens forum, but their names will not be named, im sure they also know who they are. same old song and dance gets old after a while.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Haha, this was a funny post. I personally enjoy seeing people's ideas and theories. I do tend to fall on the more logical/probable side of things though. I don't think someone should be ridiculed for having their idea or opinion though.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Like i have stated once before to all the people, this guy isn't complaining about people with differing opinions. He is referring to people who just pop into a thread to dump a drive by insult. Watch the thread derail, then run off. A calloused insult is different from actual criticism.

For example would you rather hear a well informed thoughtful piece on why your thread maybe missing certain facts or would you rather hear someone Spout 'This person is naive and doesn't know anything. I know everything. My opinion is the only valid one' But never offers anything sensible to WHY their argument is true. Just that it is. Then they never reply to anything back so that they 'get the last word'.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

A straw leg.

Harte

Harte,

The reason I replied to that thread is because several of you seem to know quite a lot about a culture that doesn't really have any history, as they had no written language. From Wikipedia :

The site has suffered from looting and amateur excavations since shortly after Tiwanaku's fall, archeologists must try to interpret it knowing that materials have been jumbled and destroyed. This destruction continued during the Spanish conquest and colonial period, and during 19th century and the early 20th century. Other damage was committed by people quarrying stone for building and railroad construction, and target practice by military personnel.

Its amazing how you know about their metallurgy and architecture, yet.. they had no written language. No one has ever found any of their metal tools. Hence my comment about chicken bone's, and stone hammers. They were a very primal culture.

^ This is a prime example of why I stopped posting in that thread.

What, that you don't want to be amazed?

A great deal is known about their metallurgy.
Even the fringe sometimes talk about it, though they (as usual) mischaracterize it.
But even the the fringe doesn't usually confuse it with chicken bones.

Harte

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 07:22 AM
link   

I agree

I see this all the time on ATS

"Don't belittle others to appear "bigger" yourself
This technique is not only popular among the more naive, but also among intellectuals, who use the excuse of freedom of speech and the virtue of critical thinking to tear their opponents apart. It is a sophisticated form of barbarism."

nothing but feeding their own ego's

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I always leave highly moderated forums.. escpailly those forums where moderators start editing your posts in line to what they think you should say.

With trolls its best to just ignore them and have more confidence with your opinons.
edit on 13-6-2016 by thejames because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: imod02
Let me explane how this works, one person has 10 accounts here, so it seems 10 people are jumping on you when its only one, now he has 5 friends each of them have 10 accounts, so now you have "50-60" people jumping on you. If you write anything about refugees raping or mulims you get jumped on using this system. ATS is full of it.

I agree with that.
One poster in particular I felt had a load of other accounts as he seemed to have a fan club backing him up even though he was talking dog $h!t and recieved stars just for posting nothing substantial.
I nearly called him out on it but it's a bit hard to prove.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join