It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Nonbinary' is now a legal gender, Oregon court rules

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   
A couple countries have addressed people born intersex.

en.wikipedia.org...

So there is not two sexes. there are three you can be born with.
and for many years doctors have been playing god

Even the US government has laws protecting intersex people.
In May 2016, the United States Department of Health and Human Services issued a statement explaining Section 1557 of the Affordable Care Act stating that the Act prohibits "discrimination on the basis of intersex traits or atypical sex characteristics" in publicly-funded healthcare, as part of a prohibition of discrimination "on the basis of sex"

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

The door is now open.

We should have built a wall.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: Annee

The door is now open.

We should have built a wall.

LOL

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Good.

This sounds like a step forward.

Genuinely curious, mostly because I couldn't give a shirt about this and because your response intrigued me, but, what exactly do you think was positively accomplished here? What is the win in this scenario?

Without trying to lock you in to an answer to the first question, do you think that people should be able to force how others view them through a legal lense because a single/few juries or judges believed it was the best course of ruling?

To put it another way, what was gained here? That someone else can't make up their own mind what sex a person is?

Because this whole thing is backwards.

ONE POINT you always make is gender does not equal sex. I can see where you're coming from on this.

However, this ruling pertains to sex, therefore not gender. We already have a pre-defined set of nouns to explain different types of sexes. Hermaphrodite, male, female, etc.

Are we not to believe our eyes when we see a penis in a Target bathroom but the person now has a legal right to be considered non-binary?

Sorry for laying down so many questions, but these things should not be intersecting. As you so often claim, gender does not equal sex.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I'm not sure I get it. Nonbinary means other than male or female? So now there is a third gender? I thought those were hermaphrodites? I'm confused.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

Genuinely curious, mostly because I couldn't give a shirt about this and because your response intrigued me, but, what exactly do you think was positively accomplished here? What is the win in this scenario?

Second.

Why is this a good thing? It just seems obnoxious. Hello Mx, or Xur or whatever.

I don't really have much of a problem with transitioning from one gender to the other (I think it's weird and also that a sex change isn't solving the problems and we should stop pretending it is) but now people are whatever they want to be or feel at any given moment?

How is that not a mental illness? We don't placate people with other delusions. You're not swapping genders all the time. You're not a cat (and that IS what's coming next). It seems like we're doing these people a disservice by coddling them. A lt of us make jokes about identifying as something ridiculous, but it's clearly going that way, that we'll have to eventually either draw a line in the sand and say "enough" or the English language will be impossible to navigate.

So what if you 'misgender' someone that comes up with some bizarre pronoun? What if someone wants you to be able to tell when they identify as a woman or a man? It's going to get weird, and probably litigious.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

We all are. My understanding is that nonbinary people don't identify with either gender, gender fluid people identify as people that randomly switch between male and female. I think I confused nonbinary with genderfluid. It's hard to keep track of. It's almost like people are making it up as they go along.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter

Good.

This sounds like a step forward.

I think this has always been.

I think gender/sexuality are all shades of gray.

But, society was rigid in its acceptance of what was normal. And made laws that forced gender and sexual variants to live on the fringe and create their own culture.

LGBT exclusive businesses have been closing all over the world, because they are no longer needed.

LGBT is the new "soccer moms".

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I think we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg.

The number of gender identities are only limited by the imagination of those who desire them.

It will get ridiculous. But when has freedom ever been a totally serious venue?

It'll be fun to watch, regardless.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   
LGBT is the new "soccer moms"

I'm sure I don't follow.
edit on 12-6-2016 by Tempter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   

I'm sure I don't follow.

They've gone mainstream.

Married, kids, school, "soccer mom".

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   
yes, you mentioned let's find out who funded the activisim in the 60's and it hit me...I was in an anti military group while in the air force at mtn. home id.

our publication was ...the helping hand... and our property was owned by mark lane who wrote executive action....

Donald Sutherland , jane fonda, Elliott gould and some other actor came by for skit presentation....went skinny dipping at Anderson resevior....and that night after the skits....the place burned down to the ground

the fbi was across the street training on us friendly like, in a motel....back then all. the..... oh remember when all the government cars had that plain blackwall tire and make....those cars lined up at the motel...with all different states plates on the bumpers

the leaders of the bunch carried the little red book of mao's....a reply to: one4all

edit on 12-6-2016 by GBP/JPY because: our new King.....He comes right after a nicely done fake one

edit on 12-6-2016 by GBP/JPY because: last minute thought there....yezz

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   

I'm sure I don't follow.

They've gone mainstream.

Married, kids, school, "soccer mom".

I'd agree with that. As mainstream as such a small percentage of the population may become, that is.

Maybe they're over-represented?

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Hot swappable sex parts? WOW, thats taking hardware to a new level!

Blue Wolf

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

It might be 'as simple as that' for ~you~.

But you are not everyone.

For lots of other people ideas of their own gender are not as simple as 'dick or no dick'.

Can we at least agree to respect that other people might think and feel differently about their gender than you do?

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
The thing is, we've always had people who were different, who didn't fit the mold, who lived outside the box. Always, always, always. Some of them were famous writers, artists, poets, performers, spiritual people, etc., etc. etc. We just haven't given them newfangled labels before. So now, we're giving them labels like nonbinary, and people are losing their sh*t.

Many cultures have had people just like this. The concept isn't new and it isn't the end of civilization. It doesn't even deserve its own thread. It truly isn't that big of a deal.

Very true. But their gender/sexuality didn't define their greatness, it was just a reality of their lives. Not a singular issue worn like a badge.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

This is a dangerous precedent moving forward.

How's that?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join