It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Isn't it weird how you once had fun with no money???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance

I agree with some of the other posters: It's easy to have fun when you have no debts to pay.

Back at that time, I was poor as all get out - granted, my family didn't have a lot of money, but they were also the ones covering my food, living, travel, and internet access. Once school was officially out, I didn't have chores so my fun consisted of:

-Riding bikes around town, and sometimes into the next one
-Playing tennis with my brother (involving usually a race on bikes to the high school)
-Sleeping in late, and staying outside until daylight officially ended
-Going hiking every day (sometimes, not telling my parents where I was)
-Playing chess + pinochle/Gin with my dad
-Practicing my trumpet (at the time)

Now, I'm on the flipside - I'd love to be able to do the above on a regular basis again...but in order to have some freedoms, you need money to do so. Now, that I pay for rent, food, utilities, and have chores, the only way I can have fun is to take time off (which may not seem like a bad thing, but it's still money that could have been spent on me).

-fossilera

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

You know what? Your posts are always repetively snarky to the OPs.

People who are successful in business and have the comfort level you claim to do not go around shouting about it to a group of strangers online.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 12:57 AM
link   

oh, you mean like back during the Peasant Revolts?

edit on 12-6-2016 by rukia because: #ClassicalArtMemes

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 01:10 AM
link   

4 things:

1. Bills. Having to raise and spend a certain amount of money every month can suck. Especially since illness, injury, natural disasters, and other emergencies don't change the deadlines for those bills.

2. Dependents. Life is much easier when you only have to worry about yourself. But once you get others that literally need you to survive, all of your actions can have unintended consequences (and stress).

3. Increasing cost of personal lifestyle. As we increase our income, our expectations for life tend to increase. As in, a 16yr old kid w/$20 to his name will rapidly increase his expenditures once he gets his first job. As he grows older and gets his first $30,000/yr job, his expenditures and lifestyle will again increase substantially.

So who happens if he gets a new job at $50,000/yr? Will he keep his current lifestyle and pocket the extra $20,000 (pre-tax)? Probably not. His expenditures and lifestyle will likely increase even more. This cycle tends to happen even when people get small raises. And the stress of knowing we'll have to abandon that lifestyle adds to the perceived problems.

4. Legal age. A lot of the fun things you could do for free as kids may not fly as an adult. For instance, kids may able to get away with sneaking onto private land to hang out, sneak into a community pool after hours, or loiter behind a store while listening to music. But as adults, that's a trespassing charge if you're lucky enough not to get shot. lol

Not to mention, kids typically get to enjoy the cheap or free "fruits" of the community's labor. But as adults, we're expected to contribute by being "productive citizens", pay our own way, & fend for ourselves. Oh yeah, and we tend to get health issues as we age. Those issues can be expensive, painful, and stop us from enjoying some of the free things in life (like hiking nature trails, playing sports at the local park, etc).
edit on 12-6-2016 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I think many people feel opposite. They have lost interest to things that you buy with money. I think that is going to happen more and more in future when we ascend into higher realms of existence. Especially when we become telepathic. We don't need to check everything from net or send constant text messages.

Yogis have known the way always. When they do meditation they loose their interest for materialistic things and are satisfied with internal things and see also the world with love and even telepathically. Here a bit ideas about that; ______beforeitsnews/spirit/2016/06/a-bit-asceticism-makes-the-day-proves-also-science-4-2502973.html

It is good to be the pioneers and get out of attachment to money as soon as possible. The other way to get maximum satisfaction is to do selfless service. When you do even smallest things to others you will see how grateful they are. Just my advice.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 03:55 AM
link   

True enough. Part of it is because we've done so many things, so many times, that we don't get the same 'buzz' as when we were early 20s or younger. It costs more to get things and the cheapest things won't interest us as much.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

That just means biting the bait of expectation assuming it leads to happiness... the expected role or the assumed role or position which of course is ones own because of choices. Yeah their choice but it was the easy way, the herd way, the older than you living through you way, authoritarian my life not yours way.

Is that living? Is that freedom? Or was that self chosen bondage? Cant live for others... but you can use your life for others and well theres a huge difference in the life you choose then present as a gift or the one others have robbed and you grin and bare it.

One is happy and self fulfilled and long and hard and fought every step of the way and well deserved when it swings in your favor. The other is a made your bed lay in it situation quit whining about it or take that personal responsibility away from those chains youve allowed on you and slowly forge something better for oneself and the family youve made... not doing so just leaves one bitter resentful and lashes out against everything and everyone feeling robbed... but that was ones choice every step of the way moment by moment do or not to do because being? Hell we are always being... now this now that now up now down now side to side... with balance you dont even notice all that motion and commotion. Hard path fighting for ones own life and ability to choose is such a hard fight... that when it all finally does come to rest and ease? Its grains of sand on a path and not huge mountains in the way.

We choose our road and direction each and every moment... we can say naw man when I gotta poop that carries me to the bathroom tell that to babies as they poop right there and smile infinity at you because youve forgotten that freedom and the sad thing is they can teach us yet we load them with the very thing theyre standing there smiling at us about... we fill theirs with crap on top of crap and weve had our filled with crap on top of crap... no freedom in that its just crap to deal with... but weve chosen what we eat as adults children dont get that choice and well of course too many choices opens up such a huge world to them they become little fussy tyrants because they start getting more and more attached to materials and how is that any different until we wake up to all of this...

We see we forge our road ahead as adults step by step choice by choice and no one is to blame yet all are to blame... this is taking personal responsibility for the crap we diaper so we can stop crapping on the world and everyone else so much and crap gets better... people start living lives they wanted to live where adult is choice itself not playing parent to everyone acting adult.

So hey those bars you keep rattling on is just an adult size play pen my friend...

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

You know what? Your posts are always repetively snarky to the OPs.

People who are successful in business and have the comfort level you claim to do not go around shouting about it to a group of strangers online.

How was my post snarky?

Many of the threads the OP starts are about the same topic, "growing up is hard".

I then said I can live the way I want but in had to make sacrifices .

Finally l said try enjoying growing up 's complaining about it because you only get one chance at doing it.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I dunno I know many that act grown up in all walks of life... tell others to grow up play all monitor etc and yet have this group mentality to bully each other and every as children

Thats not grown up taking personal responsibility for each and every action in truth and honesty and not hiding anything behind excuses or other child like walls of coping is what being adult actually is... not the things you do.

If I want to watch cartoons or color or even lay in the dirt and play Gi Joes I can no matter what age and I dont give a damn what someone would think or say... in the same way I can visit an art museum enjoy a fine glass of wine have a nice salad and steak and talk about anything under or above the sun.

Its like adulthood is being told to come in for dinner that final time that final nail in the coffin of childhood and forget dang now that im an adult I eat when and what I want and play when and whatever... and of course know that any responsibility one makes is squarely on their shoulders that if not strong enough to carry it why the hell make it? Shrug if its not lives that depend on you or suck it up buttercup and make it easier on not only yourself but those youve taken responsibility for.

Thats adulthood... and im wallowing in it and never have to come in for dinner although its nice as an invite sometimes or as a host.

Anyone else get the feeling life can be all Peter Pan saying take my hand and fly? Once Wendy is there shes saying the same thing to other people... let grinch be grinch he made those choices and well his heart will grow one day by the simplest little gift as he tried to rob it all that gift was life yo thats why he changed... he finally got one instead of stole them.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join