It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British ThinkTank Boss Rages Against "Generation Snowflake"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

Don't you know it. I've met a few.........genuine mental flakes at that. Some utterly clueless as to how things work in the "real" world outside their ivory towers.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

That brought to mind the question of whether or not its possibly the case that the upper classmen, professors and deans have become reluctant to engage these people and are, in fact, avoiding them and the subject to the extent they can.

I think largely they still do. It's hard to keep things in perspective when it's projected throughout media as is being done right now... I got caught in hyperbole there myself lol.

In terms of how this #hit storm has erupted and how its communicated/organized, I began to consider that its probably spreading via Facebook.

I think that it happens in the reverse. The projection of legions of SJWs and snowflakes ripping academia apart is hyped on social media with the dozens of alt right media outlets trashing the same instances, trying to cash in on right wing triggers which academia is very much one specifically because they are places where feminism and minority advocacy is first explored and where they mature.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: awareness10

Ha ha! Loved the vid, if terrifying.

My little theory here:
Could it be that this 'snowflake syndrome' and extreme PC paranoia is also a side effect of the internet/social media?
Kids are growing up now in this virtual world where they instantly find other like minded people. Form groups, sign petitions for this and that, from the comfort of their home, or from their phone. Not realizing there is a world of actual humans in the flesh out there, or wanting to go out, actually study a topic, find out what or why someone else might hold a different opinion.
News and ideas travel at the speed of light. But they are all mostly filtered. You see what you want to see, or subscribe to, in today's internet. And all this acts as a feedback loop. A vicious circle.
Not to mention that it's very comforting feeling being part of something, and arousing to believe you are 'fighting for a good cause'.

But it's all having the opposite effect isn't it, on that level we are more and more separating ourselves from everyone else.
I think a lot of people are getting too used to this way of life. And the young ones are born into it.

I've caught myself a few times, I admit, falling in that trap. When I spend too much time on my laptop or phone I find my judgement is impaired, and I start believing someone else's opinion just because they have good writing skills or because they touch on topics I'm interested in. And maybe a bunch of people in threads or in the comments section that I agree with, I feel encouraged knowing that I'm not alone.

Truly a first-world problem, I've had the luck to travel enough to see that 'less developed' countries do not suffer from this. Yet.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Don't you know it. I've met a few.........genuine mental flakes at that. Some utterly clueless as to how things work in the "real" world outside their ivory towers.

INDEED.

And to work around them is like working in a mine field. Particularly if the senior level administrators are of a similar lobotomized mindset.

And if one is an adjunct/part time prof--the hazards are even greater.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
One word for you....feminism. I would personally fire pepper ball rounds full auto into any of these sniveling clusters of communist scrapings.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

That's fantastic, but not everyone is wired the same. I am also a father, and I have recommended my own daughter NOT attend college until / if she ever figures out exactly what she wants to do with her degree. My son, on the other hand, is a born scientist, and university is designed specifically to teach him what he needs to know to get the kind of job where he can make a living doing what he loves.

I never went to school because I was bored. I have never been "bored" a single day in my life. I went to school because I wanted to make connections, learn new things, and be challenged in ways that I find satisfying.

Long story short: we are not all the same. I am an INTJ type. The things that fulfill and fascinate me would probably not be of interest to most. That's fine. I don't worry much about how other people live, unless their way-of-life infringes on my own freedom. I expect the same from others, and am not afraid to enforce that expectation.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   

THINK TANK and all they can do is copy a worn out phrase?
The truth is people used to show more respect for one another so people didn't have to feel so stressed all of the time.

Cowardice is one of the things the NT mentions that will keep folks out of Heaven.

Really, Jesus's own closest followers were afraid to own up to him while he was taken away. What scripture are you referring to?

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: athousandlives

Yes the vid was great.

You got it, that's just it. The internet has not only separated people in a unique way but it's also allowed groupies to gravitate faster.

It's great that we have the ability to use the internet this way, like a modern day version of the library of Alexandria plus the added bonuses only this generation has ever enjoyed. But then everything has its good intentional side along with its negative aspects.

People are now not only abusing this freedom to freely speak out but also to coerce and belittle entire groups of people emotionally bending them to their wills. We see it in the Educational Institutions all over the western world now.

There imho is a mastery behind closed doors, a hidden hand we do not see creating Trends like these out of seemingly nowhere. Much the same as phrase trends, from clothing to words.

Words such as Sick being used to announce ones pleasure of that which they find Awesome. But this SF syndrome feels more like an experiment for an unknowns twisted pleasure.

Writing this has reminded me of JFKs last speech prior to his tragic death. He said

“For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy that relies primarily on covert means for expanding its sphere of influence…” stated Kennedy.

“It is a system which has conscripted vast human and material resources into the building of a tightly-knit, highly-efficient machine that combines military, diplomatic, intelligence, economic, scientific and political operations.

“Its preparations are concealed not published. It’s mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed.”

And also D.Eisenhower

President Dwight D. Eisenhower made a similar final speech warning against secret societies and the military-industrial complex that controlled government and business with a hidden hand.

edit on 6/11/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
Really, Jesus's own closest followers were afraid to own up to him while he was taken away. What scripture are you referring to?

HOWEVER, once they realized he really did rise from the dead, they were willing to risk their lives to share the Good News broadly. That's conceivable that they would do so for THE TRUTH. It's not so conceivable that they'd do that for a lie.

AMPLIFIED:

Revelation 21:8 [Full Chapter]
But as for the cowards and unbelieving and abominable [who are devoid of character and personal integrity and practice or tolerate immorality], and murderers, and sorcerers [with intoxicating drugs], and idolaters and occultists [who practice and teach false religions], and all the liars [who knowingly deceive and twist truth], their part will be in the lake that blazes with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

I agree that civility and mutual respect used to be much higher--particularly here in the Western States and rural areas.

But back then, children who didn't show respect to their elders and others were cuffed quite soundly for insolence.

And solid foundational values were taught at home, school and church.

Now, the opposite is taught almost in all 3--certainly in too many homes and all public schools.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Eilasvaleleyn

99% of the population will end up as glorified slaves.

"Will end up"? Haven't you been paying attention?

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Touche. Though at the moment it's probably around 93% as slaves rather than 99%.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 01:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: awareness10

Simple solution is to stop all student loans for Art and social "degrees" if the students want to waste time doing those they should fund them themselves.

Art degrees are among the most lucrative career choices in the US. You can land a 6 figure job directly out of college if you have some talent.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

And my degree, philosophy seems silly but it simply teaches you to have a critical mind. My neurologist was a philosophy BA. Many Nobel prize winners were philosophers as well. Half the degrees out there require additional education to win a six figure job. But if the question is worth in society I would not discount bachelors of the arts as bad endeavor for funding.

I always ignored the snowflakes tho.
If you don't believe in it it doesn't exist right?

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyosaurus
And my degree, philosophy seems silly but it simply teaches you to have a critical mind. My neurologist was a philosophy BA. Many Nobel prize winners were philosophers as well. Half the degrees out there require additional education to win a six figure job. But if the question is worth in society I would not discount bachelors of the arts as bad endeavor for funding.

I was referring to jobs like Matte painters and 3d artists, those jobs pay very well. Philosophy is a useful thing to study but I do question the value of it being the degree you plan to make a living on. It teaches you how to ask questions but it doesn't teach you how to answer any questions.

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Nyet.
edit on 6/13/2016 by awareness10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2016 @ 05:43 AM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join