It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pediatric nurse sues Winnebago Co Health Dept after losing job for her beliefs

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Except, they could say no. That means they weren't forced to do anything.

The word "forced" is used a lot by the religious in reference to abortion procedures. They obviously have no understanding of the meaning.

Forcing someone to do something means they have no choice. They and the nurse in the op, had a choice, therefore, they weren't forced to do anything.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Do your job or expect to get fired. What's the story here?

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   

and they reached an agreement...

“No pro-life medical personnel should be forced to assist or train in services related to abortions. The hospital has finally done the right thing in agreeing to obey the law and not force our clients to do any work on abortion cases in violation of their beliefs,” said ADF Legal Counsel Matt Bowman, who represented the nurses before the court Thursday. “The hospital agreed not to penalize our clients in any way because they choose not to participate in abortion according to their legal rights.”

The hospital agreed not to replace the pro-life nurses or reduce their hours. The nurses affirmed that if a woman suffers a true emergency from an abortion, they will help protect her until other staff, such as the emergency team, arrives moments later. Because the abortions are all elective, outpatient surgeries, and the court is requiring the hospital to fully staff all abortion cases with non-objecting medical personnel, the pro-life nurses should never actually be needed in any such case.

www.adfmedia.org...

part of that agreement though was that :

" The nurses affirmed that if a woman suffers a true emergency from an abortion, they will help protect her until other staff, such as the emergency team, arrives moments later."

so they could very well be expected to help out in some abortions...

edit on 11-6-2016 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
find me one county run health clinic that is providing abortions!

The one the op is about. There, got your one clinic that the Winnebago County Health Department is trying to force all nurses to train on performing abortions even if they object with abortion.

and if the truth be known, she is catholic so she would oppose to handing out condoms even!

What?... So now you know exactly how she will react too? Can you read minds? Is that another trick up your sleeve?

I guess you must agree with terry that a new human life form forming is the same thing as trash and human refuse that McDonald employees have to clean, so all nurses should just deal with it and abort on demand no matter what they think about abortion which is to take a life?...

edit on 11-6-2016 by ElectricUniverse because: add and correct comment.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I linked to the actual complaint, read it also... no where in it are they saying they have to train to perform abortions.

we differ in opinion in that you think prescribing most birth control methods is the same as performing abortions.

edit on 11-6-2016 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

find me one county run health clinic that is providing abortions!

The one the op is about. There, got your one clinic that the Winnebago County Health Department is trying to force all nurses to train on performing abortions even if they object with abortion.
BS! Go HERE and show me where any of the services they offer is abortion.

and if the truth be known, she is catholic so she would oppose to handing out condoms even!

What?... So now you know exactly how she will react too? Can you read minds? Is that another trick up your sleeve?

I guess you must agree with terry that a new human life form forming is the same thing as trash and human refuse that McDonald employees have to clean, so all nurses should just deal with it and abort on demand no matter what they think about abortion which is to take a life?...
Well done. You used the analogy, that you said wasn't, wrong.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I had a feeling this was going to be a bait thread.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
I had a feeling this was going to be a bait thread.

And then some.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 12:56 AM
link   

ROCKFORD - On Wednesday, Rockford nurse Sandra Mendoza sued the Winnebago County Health Department for forcing her out of her long-time job as a pediatric nurse on account of her refusal to participate in abortion related services. Ms. Mendoza, a devout Catholic, had worked for the Health Department for 18 years providing pediatric care, immunizations, and screenings.

In 2015, the County’s new Public Health Administrator, Dr. Sandra Martell, merged the pediatric clinic with women’s health services and mandated that all nurses be trained to provide abortion referrals and participate in the provision of abortifacients like Plan B.

Pediatric nurse sues Winnebago Co Health Dept after losing job for her beliefs

We are being told that no one is being forced to do anything with Obama's mandates, but here is one of the many clear examples that quite the contrary is happening.

Nurses that object to doing abortions shouldn't be forced to do them.

When Ms Mendoza informed the administration of her conscientious objections she was given an ultimatum.

When Ms. Mendoza informed Dr. Martell and the administration of her conscientious objections to participating in any way in the provision of abortions, Dr. Martell gave Ms. Mendoza two weeks to either quit or accept a demotion to a temporary job as a food inspector. Mendoza refused the demotion and was forced to resign in July 2015.

link

It's just sad to what level the current craziness has reached under Obama's watch...

BTW, this will probably also occur in other states unfortunately.

Have to disagree here, if you have something against abortions don't work at a job that might require you to help with them.. ridiculous.Why pay an employee who refuses to do part of her job? absolute waste of resources.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 03:26 AM
link   

These are screenshots from the nurse's original complaint (link provided by Dawnstar):

Services merged and employees were asked to adapt to those changes. Ms Mendoza thought she was special and that she shouldn't adapt because of her beliefs. Nurses know that, to do their jobs correctly, they must act professional all the time and this means leaving their own beliefs and values aside whilst doing their job. Ms Mendoza acted unprofessionally, expecting her employers to treat her differently than others, but rules apply to everybody equally: employees are not expected to comply if they are unhappy, but they are expected to resign and look for a job that suits them better. That's what Ms Mendoza should have done, instead she played the victim.

Ms Mendoza was never asked to perform abortions, she was only asked to make referrals to abortion providers. Read her complaint, it's all there and we have pointed this out to you several times but you purposedly ignore it.

Ms Mendoza also refused to promote contraception, including the morning after pill which does not cause an abortion, but simply prevent a pregnancy. There are hundreds of nursing jobs available in Winnebago County, she should have looked for a job that suited her beliefs and not ask her employers to treat her as a special snowflake because she is a Christian.

Winnebago county is not forcing all nurses in the county to perform abortions, it's asking nurses at certain clinics to hand out contraception and information about abortion providers. That's all.

Your OP is 100% wrong.

edit on 12-6-2016 by Agartha because: Spelling...

edit on 12-6-2016 by Agartha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   

She didn't lose her job because of her beliefs she lost it because she refused to carry out her duties. Anyone who works in care knows you cannot take your own values and beliefs into the workplace as you are looking after people who have their own values and beliefs. Its called respecting and upholding individuals values. In my job a person was prescribed medication after telling doctors she could see and hear spirits. They don't believe that and believe she is mentally unstable and prescribed heavy duty anti-psychotic medication. I disagree but as part of my job i support her to take this medication because I am carrying out my duties professionally separating my own personal beliefs. If at any time i felt i could not do this i would simply leave and get another job.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   

If the claim from philosophers, doctors and other researchers, scientists and politicians, that babies have no human rights hence by extension that parents should be able to kill babies, whether they are disabled or even if they are completely healthy. Is it then in your opinion okay to force doctors, and nurses to kill those babies because in the mind of some people "they have no rights because they have no personhood"?
a

Jeez Louise OP, where do I begin?

1. Pediatric nurses don't have ANY duties related to abortions. Her job (which just came under the umbrella of another company) simply requires her to counsel patients on the fact that abortions and Plan B pills are OPTIONS available to them. It doesn't matter if she 'believes' in them, they are options that are legally available and no one is forcing her to actually perform the procedures...simply to inform patients that they are options....which is fact. If she still has a moral objection to presenting facts to people, then she's welcome to quit and get a job at a Catholic hospital where they let women suffering from miscarriages die, if that makes her feel better about herself.

2. Then you go on this newborn killing tirade, which is frankly ridiculous. NO ONE is advocating killing newborns. To take the argument there is just plain dumb, unrealistic and über alarmist.

3. Aborting deformed fetuses is a right that the parents damn well should have. THEY are the ones who will live with the consequences. I'm over 35, I have really pain-in-the-ass pregnancies at the end of which I HAVE to have a c-section. So...if I were to engage in a planned pregnancy, only later to find out the fetus will not be viable after birth, it should be my right to decide not to continue with a doomed pregnancy. Even if I knew the newborn would survive birth but be so messed up I would be unable to care for it myself, I would still choose abortion. PERSONALLY I would feel less guilty about an abortion than I would giving my own child up to a group home where I would have no guarantees as to the long term quality of care. If you were to find yourself pregnant with a severely deformed fetus, it would be YOUR choice to proceed how you see fit.

4. Whining about buying into insurance that covers things you don't agree with? Well, join the club. I think parents with obese kids are committing child abuse, but they're still covered by the insurance I pay into. It irks me when diabetics don't manage their conditions and end up with multiple hospital stays, including limb amputation....which the insurance I pay into covers. I could go on and on about things I don't agree with that insurance covers. Oh-friggin-well. You pay into it, you use it for what you need and others use it for what they need. Worry about yourself, let others worry about themselves. It's the nature of the beast.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: dr1234

Have to disagree here, if you have something against abortions don't work at a job that might require you to help with them.. ridiculous.Why pay an employee who refuses to do part of her job? absolute waste of resources.

The nurse wasn't required to help perform abortions. She was required to inform patients that birth control, abortion and Plan B were legal options available for them to pursue...which is FACT, whether she chooses to religiously agree with them or not.

But yes, if she can't even handle reciting facts she should work at a Catholic hospital where they let women suffering from miscarriages die. ACLU Blog re: Catholic Hospitals

OP and this holier-than-thou nurse should really adopt 3 severely disabled children each. Then maybe they'd be too busy changing diapers and filling feeding tubes to worry about what other people are doing.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyvalkyrie

she was working for a country health clinic, ya know those places that the right were claiming would be more than happy to take over the care of the patients of planned parenthood.
the country reorganized or whatever you want to call it and merged the pediatrics into the family planning, which does hand out various birth control..
the op is trying to claim that handing out the birth control is the same a performing abortions.

my son recently had his job responsiblities shifted to one where he was assigned to a machine that he was really too tall to operate.. which was killing his back to the point where he was having problems even standing in the morning. he had to find another job. the company wouldn't even give him a layoff notice although they were handing them out like candy.
this kind of crap happens quite often, and most of us adults just shrug it off and move on because well, we don't really want to work for a company that thinks so little of us that they would be so stubborn as to leave us on a job that is physically painful to do. but for some reason, "belief" is more worthy of special treatment than pain and suffering is.
the country claims that it did try to accommodate her but she refused the accommodation. it will take a court to decide weather or not that is true but if it is, then I believe that was all that they were required by law to do, was try to accommodate. if those accommodations isn't suitable to the employee or if accommodating that person is too burdensome then well, there is no case.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

I linked to the actual complaint, read it also... no where in it are they saying they have to train to perform abortions.

On that part you are right, I did get the original lawsuit in the thread messed up with the other lawsuit in which nurses were told they had to train to perform abortions and were even induced to help. Yes, they did reach an agreement, but it did happen.

we differ in opinion in that you think prescribing most birth control methods is the same as performing abortions.

Except that I showed you proof that so called "morning after pills" plan b and ella can also induce abortions.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

and since Nurses cannot perform abortions on their own let alone prescribe the medication you listed on their own its kind of a moot point is it not?

There is nothing wrong with training, whether a person agrees with it or not. A persons medical condition and course of treatment is between a patient and the Doctor, not a patient and the nurse.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

she was working for a country health clinic, ya know those places that the right were claiming would be more than happy to take over the care of the patients of planned parenthood.

the country reorganized or whatever you want to call it and merged the pediatrics into the family planning, which does hand out various birth control..
the op is trying to claim that handing out the birth control is the same a performing abortions.

Laws still apply that protect employees from being discriminated on basis of their beliefs...

I wonder why you completely avoided talking about the violation of the Illinois Health Care Right of Conscience Act which was included in the lawsuit...

Let's talk about that, since you seem to think among others here that she just then should have stopped working for the Winnebago county health...

issuu.com...

But guess we know how you, and others here, feel about "Catholics" and their beliefs huh?...

edit on 12-6-2016 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

and since Nurses cannot perform abortions on their own let alone prescribe the medication you listed on their own its kind of a moot point is it not?

There is nothing wrong with training, whether a person agrees with it or not. A persons medical condition and course of treatment is between a patient and the Doctor, not a patient and the nurse.

Yes there is when there are laws protecting people to being compelled to act in a manner that is morally offensive for them... Read above.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Except that I showed you proof that so called "morning after pills" plan b and ella can also induce abortions.

No you didn't! You cited a pseudo science pro-life web site that conveniently changed the medical definition of pregnancy. Plan B prevents pregnancy. No pregnancy, no abortion!

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

but, I think you would agree with me that all the hormonal birth control pills, plus the iud work in about the same way. if all else fails, they make the uterus and inhospitable place so the fertile egg can't implant itself.

so why are you just mentioning ella and plan b?
could it be that you are hoping that we all will accept this and then pop the rest of your truth onto us?

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join