It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pop-up emergency shelters fit into a shipping container; include p, w, p & toilets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
FULL TITLE:

Pop-up emergency shelters fit into a shipping container; include power, water purification, & toilets

Derek Markham (@derekmarkham)
Technology / Clean Technology
June 6, 2016

www.treehugger.com...

16 Humanihut shelters can fit into a single shipping container, and each one can be set up in about 5 minutes, allowing for rapid and dignified relief for refugees.
With tens of millions of refugees around the world being displaced by conflicts, persecution, and natural disasters, the need for robust and scalable emergency housing solutions is very real, and one startup believes it has the answer, in the form of foldable units that provide near-instant shelter and housing.
. . .
Each Humanihut, which measures 7.3 meters long by 2.4 meters high, includes solar panels on the roof, wiring for 110V outlets, tables, benches, sink, water purification, and heat, and can be collapsed down to 30 cm high to fit into the shipping container. This allows for the units to be erected and deconstructed quickly, with a small team of people and a forklift able to build one in about 5 minutes, and an entire system of 16 shelters and one "Ablutionhut" (hygiene facility) can be constructed in about 1.5 hours, according to the company. Each unit can sleep up to 6 people, and offer security, privacy, and convenience for both the short- and long-term.
. . .

--durable for likely 20 years or so.
--erect-able in about 5 minutes.
Looks like a win-win innovation, to me.
I hope it gets produced ASAP and widely stockpiled. 100's of millions of them are going to be needed.
Good thinking on someone's part, imho.
I don't think of any downside at the moment.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   
You can buy old campers for under two grand around here and tow your house with you if there is a problem.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Don't know about that, I would never have a second hand motor home as even the cleanest of the are usually filthy if you look propery and these thing's are at least clean, static and suitable for quick erection on site, they can be stacked in standard shipping containers and provide shelter for several people giving them human dignity.

Look at those kid's and family's fleeing syria and Not coming here, they are living in vast refugee camp's with the worse amenity's but are doing there best to make the best of them even setting up shop's and business in some of them and trying to live there lives as they had when they were back in there city's but living in tent's with poor sanitation, too hot in summer and too cold in winter.

If the UN had a few million of these thing's sitting in warhouses for emergency use they would definitely save live's and also make those refugee camp's far more hospitible and safe with the people having there own front door's and safe haven's, they would also cut down on the number of people fleeing to europe because of the terrible condition's they know they will face in the camp's.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

They sound amazing, truly, but these days, the "refugees" would likely set fire to them. In a 23-hour period, I read about them doing just that for facilities they deemed inadequate, for missing a wake up call,, and for not liking what was offered for ramadan.

I'd say give them to the homeless, but, again, only those who would appreciate them!

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   

So who pays for these things?

Hard working tax payers?

Or is there a nightly rate like a motel?

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

be better off for the military to buy,rather than put taco bell's in the green zone

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

They sound amazing, truly, but these days, the "refugees" would likely set fire to them. In a 23-hour period, I read about them doing just that for facilities they deemed inadequate, for missing a wake up call,, and for not liking what was offered for ramadan.

I'd say give them to the homeless, but, again, only those who would appreciate them!

I read they ate babies.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I like that idea.

However, in a massive disaster, I'm sure the available old campers would run out fast.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

I agree. Though I think it needs to be 100's of millions looking at what's looming ahead on the not distant horizon.

And that's not even talking about mega quakes or huge volcanic eruptions.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I'm with you about the ingrates who never learned a shred of civility and sanity in a social situation.

Ruthless violence in the name of any religion is not called for.

I'm not sure how many folks learn much thankfulness and respect in our era. But I'd agree--if they don't take care of it and keep it reasonably clean--toss em out into a cardboard shack or tent.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

Governments/taxpayers and aid agencies, I'd guess.

However, poorly housed and treated refugees become a bigger problem . . .

and

we are defining ourselves by how we treat the poorest and most mangled and abused among us.

I'd rather stand tall and do the right thing. I have too much self respect to do less.

Besides, God IS watching.

And He says that PURE religion is taking care of the widows, the fatherless, the orphans etc.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

I hadn't read about the eating babies but it wouldn't surprise me.

Their values appear to come from hell . . .

literally.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   

From the inside these shelters exactly look like some german jail cells, a little bit more modern, but except this, exactly the same...

But to set one of this boxes up as a shelter in the outskirts, i would take one

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Yeah . . . they would be a lot better than what's usually available in such situations.

One's own facilities in such a situation can be life-saving.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I even thought about just to have a hidden place for me and whoever, for fun

We have a huge forest which starts 5min away from my mothers house, and as childs we played there everyday, builded small huts and all that. So i know places in our area of this forest where i could hide such a thing for a while, with a good camouflage.

Just to chill there, away from everything. But if the forester or some legal hunters would find that box, the nice shelter would be away and i would be lucky if i weren´t in there or could escape, when someone would find it.
Otherwise i would get fined with several thousands of euros, i guess...

So, just dreaming

I am fascinated by those houses build from shipping containers, which you can buy from 200-300 euros each used container, and with a bit of fantasy and some craftsmanship one can build wonderful houses, or even bunkers from them.
edit on 11 6 2016 by DerBeobachter because: very bad english xD

edit on 11 6 2016 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

edit on 11 6 2016 by DerBeobachter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Maybe you can get a job making that judgment.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

I think 99.99% of the homeless would appreciate them and obviously show it.

At least those with a shred of brain and health left that's not overly debilitated by mental illness and alcoholism.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Sounds like a plan . . . though likely more workable in the Western USA.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

I think 99.99% of the homeless would appreciate them and obviously show it.

At least those with a shred of brain and health left that's not overly debilitated by mental illness and alcoholism.

Or it could be they are the ones who would appreciate them and need them the most.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIANI replied on something similar to this a couple of years ago. The guy who thought this is a mite late.
My friends brother moved to Cyprus about ten years ago. Now the game is there (the info came from a Cypriot lawyer) you buy a piece of land, get two containers, place them ten foot apart, put a roof over all of it and cut doors and windows in the containers. The centre part to be used as the living room.
No here is the best part. As long as you leave the handling hooks on the containers it not classed as a permanent residence and escapes taxes.
I'm sorry I have no pictures but he has a very desirable permanent residence from just two containers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join