It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey’s President Erdogan wasn’t allowed to speak at Muhammad Ali’s funeral

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Turkish President Erdogan was one of the first to say he would be attending the funeral, but now that the day of the funeral has actually come around, Erdogan is not there. A few reasons why he "SPAT THE DUMMY". Erdogan was initially on the roster of speakers, but two unnamed speakers had been added to the program, meaning that foreign guests Erdogan and King Abdullah II of Jordan would no longer be able to make an address. Erdogan had also hoped to lay a piece from the cloth covering the "Kaaba in Mecca" on Ali’s coffin during the service, but the event’s organizers had turned down this request, along with another to have a top Turkish cleric read from the Koran during the ceremony. It was also reported that Ali’s family had invited the U.S.-based Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen, a noted rival of Erdogan, to the funeral. If true, this would no doubt add further to the Turkish president’s displeasure.And to make matters worse, Turkish Hurriyet Daily News reported Friday that there had been scuffle between Turkish presidential bodyguards and U.S. security personnel assigned to protect him, a scene reminiscent of a recent fracas involving Erdogan’s bodyguards in Washington. So it appears that his intended appearance at the funeral was a waste of time, as it was stacked against him...www.washingtonpost.com... s-not-going/?wpinl_wv&wpmm=1

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: tommo39

Good, screw him. You know he's the same guy who arrests anyone who criticizes and or mocks him, right? He imprisons anyone, foreign and domestic.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

And he wants people from other countries reported if they criticize him also. I don't blame them at all. I wouldn't want that psycho speaking at any function.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Good. The terrorist supporting unbelievably corrupt tyrant deserves zero respect.
edit on -050008pm6kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I think it would be better if no politicians were at his funeral.

Bill Clinton speaking to me would be blasphemous.

Here’s a gut that sat on his hands at the Rwandan genocide and did nothing and he could have stopped it.

I liked Ali but never accepted him calling Joe Frazier a gorilla

Erdogan, I have no sympathy for. He is a war criminal in my book responsible for many of the deaths of the Syrian people

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I'm sorry to hear that Ali's memorial service became so politicized. I mean, we don't really know what goes on in the hearts and minds of people, but somehow I suspect those people like Erdogan, only wanted to attend for their own political gains, and to present themselves in a favorable light.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I don't care and I am sure the great man wouldn't care either. Thanks for the story, it is a non story for me though.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Isn't King Abdullah II a descendent of Muhammad (PBUH)?

Who could possibly replace him at a Muslim funeral?

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: 200Plus
Isn't King Abdullah II a descendent of Muhammad (PBUH)?

Who could possibly replace him at a Muslim funeral?

The Prophet himself perhaps?

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
As he shouldn't be welcome. No loss there. Erdogan is as appalling with his comments and actions.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: 200Plus

A lot of clans in the Middle East claim to share the Prophet's lineage. And even more claim to be descendants from the Prophet's great-grandfather (aka the Hashemites), and thus, from the same family tree as the Prophet. At least several of the Middle Eastern royal families are Hashemites.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Your welcome.

it is a non story for me though.
To people who follow foreign affairs they like to keep up with political side.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 06:10 AM
link   

What a bummer that nobody is left that could float like a butterfly, sting Erdolf like a bee.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 06:24 AM
link   
What's all the fuss about Ali being a good Muslim. He was not, as he had affairs with women. Why are all these foreign (Muslim) dignitaries bending their knees? Is this really the greatest Muslim in modern times?

Am I the only person who thinks Ali, while being a great sportsman and part-time social mover, is all a bit hyped.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

What's all the fuss about Ali being a good Muslim
The OP is NOT about ALI, it's about ERDOGAN, so please stay on the OP subject, thanks....

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Actually, the topic concerns ERDOGAN and Ali's funeral. My post was on topic.

top topics

join