It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ending the "Snowflake" and Name Calling Paradigm

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

To trigger is a very old term indeed.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I think the biggest victims of name calling on this site are religious figures, liberals and progressives.

I like to think I would respect what people hold sacred to a reasonable degree; not here does this happen

I've been in much worst places but ATS is one of the worst I’m sorry to say in terms of name calling and not respecting others beliefs or what they hold sacred

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I'm not a psych major, minor or even close to being an expert. Everyone uses insults though, from the tiniest to the biggest.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: rupertg

I would agree but there's a key difference here... these people are pointing out the hypocrisy and double standards of social justice warriors. They are not themselves generally guilty of such cognitive dissonance and flawed reasoning. They simply point it out.

I agree with the sentiment of the thread though.. pretty tired of the word as well.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
I think the biggest victims of name calling on this site are religious figures, liberals and progressives.

I like to think I would respect what people hold sacred to a reasonable degree; not here does this happen

I've been in much worst places but ATS is one of the worst I’m sorry to say in terms of name calling and not respecting others beliefs or what they hold sacred

But this is an open forum, there are no inherent protections because one holds a specific point of view.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

But this is an open forum, there are no inherent protections because one holds a specific point of view.

Of course it’s an open forum, fine, but I’m not talking about internet protections; I’m referring to respect

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Of course it’s an open forum, fine, but I’m not talking about internet protections; I’m referring to respect

I am not sure but it seems as if you are asking for respect regarding your opinions because your opinions deserve respect...
edit on 10-6-2016 by Jonjonj because: I wronged

edit on 10-6-2016 by Jonjonj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:56 PM
link   

To trigger is a very old term indeed.

Yep, and so is 'snowflake". Years back I got a Christmas Card here on ATS (we used to send those to each other but now it's not PC), and one was a giant snowflake and the message was something like 'you are unique and special - like a snowflake', and I thought "how sweet".

If somebody said that to me now, I'd be like BITE ME.

lol.
edit on 6/10/2016 by ladyinwaiting because: added scarcasm about Christmas Cards

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Remind me not to send you a message at Christmas!!!

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Oh, now I'll be looking for one.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 09:11 PM
link   

It's weird. How did "progressive" become a bad word? Looking at the word it's a positive thing. It's slur now though.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I remember when the word Sick literally meant sick, when the heck did it change to 'Cool'?

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

It's weird. How did "progressive" become a bad word? Looking at the word it's a positive thing. It's slur now though.

Not to me, Trep. Progressive will never be a slur to me. Let the 'regressives' bring it! Only in their little box of greed, is evolving and making progress a dirty word.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion
First we have to end the use of the word "paradigm." It's so 90's. Lately, "meme" has been beaten to death. That has to go, too. Then we need to get all posters aware of the difference between "there," "their," and "they're." Next, we need to get posters straight on "whether" and "weather."
Of course, we also have to inform all that the verb "graduate" is passive. One does not "graduate" college, one "graduates from" college or "is graduated from college." Then there is the phrase "standing on line." Unless there is a line to stand on, one "stands in line." These last aberrations are geographical and only certain posters are afflicted. None-the-less, we must expunge such terms from ATS debates.

Once we get all that done, we can discuss "special snowflake" and argue the merits of the term.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I agree name calling should be addressed here as it detracts from discussion and dissuades people from contributing.

However, "nut" and "nutters", "tin foil hat nuts" etc., when used in a derogatory label against conspiracy theorists(ironically a term used often even though it was meant as a cut down propaganda wise) mean are okay, then why wouldn't "special snowflake", be okay? Both side of that name calling groups, stereotypes and attacks the craziest of the bunch, no? Or is one okay and not the other
edit on 10-6-2016 by dreamingawake because: sp

edit on 10-6-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I would prefer we stop using the word "racist" but some words will always end up being overused to the point of where they have little or no impact, negating the very reason to use them in the first place.
Acronyms like SJW is to claim the high moral ground; "we're trying bring justice to the oppressed". Rather like calling one's self "god's chosen people". Don't both imply that one group is better than another? Isn't that what racism is?

Words and phrases often have multiple meanings and even those change over time. Irrespective of what is said and what is meant by it at the end of the day it is up to us the decide how those words make us feel (which really is the bottom line here, yes?).

The cost of free expression and free speech is sometimes we will feel offended, belittled and disliked. Fact is none of us will agree on everything and the minute we begin banning the use of a word or phrase we open the floodgate to censoring more and more words in the interest of protecting somebodies feelings. If that's all it's about then perhaps it might be best for us all to stop speaking and writing. Then nobody will get their feelings hurt. Is that really what we want?

Civility and courtesy should be taught to all at an early age. Respect for other's right to having different opinions than our own should be a given yet I see those most basic of ideals being lost in the endless bickering of today. At the end of the day when we shut down the ability of others to have their say we also give government a green light to do the same to us. Europeans know firsthand what I speak of with their recent laws regarding hate speech and how the term "hate" becomes ever broader while decided by judges and politicians.

Free speech is exactly that; without limitation to what words we choose and how we say them. Once limits are imposed it becomes a road that will inevitably grow narrower and narrower until there is only one lane going in one direction and it's a given that direction will be the one most advantageous to those already in power
edit on 10-6-2016 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

We should use Boron.

Borax for a group of them in conversation, or perhaps to indicate Boron supremacy (e.g: he was the high Borax of the Hoax Forum).

Apparently the worlds largest Boron deposits are in Turkey (also an insult). Is that racist?

edit on 11/6/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

You still don't get it. The SJW movement has nothing to do with making the world a better place. It is all about controlling thoughts, speech, and actions. It is also extremely racist, and violent to the core. Trading black people for white people during the civil rights movement does not make the world a better place. Banning speakers you do not agree with does not make the world a better place. Being a willful liar does not make the world a better place. Violent protests assaulting innocent people do not make the world a better place. Advocating for white suicide does not make the world a better place. Creating a rhetoric that all men are rapists does not make the world a better place.

There is NOTHING that SJW's do to make the world a better place. They are violent, rude, liars, racists, sexists, etc. etc. All the things they call everyone else IS WHAT THEY TRULY ARE.

The most hateful people I have ever seen in my life are SJW's.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Winstonian

There is NOTHING that SJW's do to make the world a better place. They are violent, rude, liars, racists, sexists, etc. etc. All the things they call everyone else IS WHAT THEY TRULY ARE.

The most hateful people I have ever seen in my life are SJW's.

There's a good dose of hate and hyperbole in your post too

The US was founded on ideals of social justice. Have you read any Tom Paine?

Martin Luther King campaigned for social justice too. Then again, without social justice, I guess we'd live in a semi-feudal system with young children working in factories and only land-owning men being able to vote. Not my ideal, but maybe yours?

Am I using rhetoric to make a point? Yes I am.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 03:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLaughingGod

Anti-PC are walking, talking examples of congnitive dissonance. They want to say whatever the hell they want and expect other people to just shut up and take it without repercussions.

And when people get upset at what they say, they act like victims or get angry and use the anti-PC (much like matter and anti-matter) argument...

The anti-PC or anti-SJW argument is just the polar opposite, the mirror image. Both parties are guilty of reflecting and projecting their own fear, anger, and emotions off on to other people.

No one comes away clean, everyone walks off sullied and tarnished by bickering back and forth about who offended who and what you can and can't or shouldn't say.

What right does anyone have to tell someone else they shouldn't be offended? That's gaslighting right there. Telling someone their issue or problem doesn't matter or isn't really a problem.

I see a lot of blame flying around and no one taking the big "R" word -- yep, that's right...responsibility. Take responsibility for your thoughts, words and actions. If you offend someone, that's on them and not you. If they want to get upset, its not your job to convince them they shouldn't be upset.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Everyone has a right to speak their mind. That doesn't imply however, for one second that I am required to listen to you or anyone else that I deem offensive. That said, it also means I have the right to call someone out for it, because that's my opinion.

It's a circular argument that cannot be won. There is no "right" or "wrong" side to any of this. What I see are a bunch of people desperate for attention and wanting to seem morally superior and in charge.

It's quite a sad state of affairs, actually.
edit on 11-6-2016 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join