It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ending the "Snowflake" and Name Calling Paradigm

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: TerryDon79
a reply to: intrepid

I'm offended by your usage of the word "sociopath".

Take it up with Freud and Daniel Webster.

But you're the one using it here and now. Just like people who use the word snowflake.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

At least your finally acknowledging that the liberals who invented these terms are propagandists.

It's actually so absurd that even the left have started using the terms they created to describe themselves to attack people they disagree with... it's so hilarious it deserves a face palm.

edit on 10-6-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

a reply to: intrepid

I'm offended by your usage of the word "sociopath".

Take it up with Freud and Daniel Webster.

Are they new mods?

I think I saw Freud's avatar. It was a cigar.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Then you must be offended by psychiatry in general.

The term 'sociopath' has been credited as an actual condition.

Now, if snowflake and SJW become usable terms in that science, you might have something, but I doubt it will ever come to that any more than any other slur.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   

a reply to: mOjOm

If one doesn't have basic respect for other humans that makes them a sociopath. Basic respect. It goes up or down from that depending on ones perception of them.

That's what I said. There is a basic amount you give everyone as a stranger. Common respect.

However, that doesn't mean from that point on that person isn't able to prove themselves as being unworthy of respect. Not everyone is a decent human being. Some are quite vile and repugnant. Luckily they are usually few and far between, but they're out there.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: masqua

Then you must be offended by psychiatry in general.

The term 'sociopath' has been credited as an actual condition.

Now, if snowflake and SJW become usable terms in that science, you might have something, but I doubt it will ever come to that any more than any other slur.

But sociopath is used as an insult too. Outside of psychiatry.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit

At least your finally acknowledging that the liberals who invented these terms are propagandists.

It's actually so absurd that even the left have started using the terms they created to describe themselves to attack people they disagree with... it's so hilarious it deserves a face palm.

How do you know Liberals invented all these terms??? Can you back up that statement. Because quite a few of them are made specifically as derogatory terms for Liberals. I don't think they're responsible for those.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Perhaps we should resort to Elizabethan style insults.

Thou frothy boil-brained crutch!
Thou surly rug-headed pumpion!
Thou fobbing bunched-backed jolthead!

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
However, that doesn't mean from that point on that person isn't able to prove themselves as being unworthy of respect. Not everyone is a decent human being. Some are quite vile and repugnant. Luckily they are usually few and far between, but they're out there.

The best antidote is to not give them any air by talking to them.

Ignoring human stupidity is a tactical advantage.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   
7 pages on Snowflakes. They win.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

The best antidote is to not give them any air by talking to them.

You mean like choke them out????

Maybe a rear naked choke or something???

Sleeper hold????

I like it. "Don't give them any air." You're quite the problem solver aren't you. I think that might just work!!!

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Damn, how can I explain what I mean? Ok here goes:

It doesn't matter the words a person uses, the tags they give you or the group name they associate you with. It doesn't matter if they profess respect or not for you, on an internet board.

None of these things matter. We pay attention when you say things that resonate with us, and that is basically all there is to ATS.

Triggered? Damn, what a pity! Kiss my trigger finger, right? None of it is important. Important things are different things.

Respect on ATS: There are two types, the respect that is demanded by the ToC and the respect that is earned by the resonance you provoke.

Is there really such disrespect of the first kind that the mods can't cope on these boards? I don't think so.

The second type of respect, that can't be moderated anyway.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

It's a medical term. If someone other than an expert in that field uses it, it's a slur.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   

It's a medical term. If someone other than an expert in that field uses it, it's a slur.

Right. Which was my point from the start.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Exactly. We agree on that.

So why is it OK to use non-medical terms like snowflake and SJW? There are literally thousands of terms just like them out there and are usually used when the person being called those names is not around.

If they were, the one that said it better hope that 'snowflake' doesn't have long arms and a good back.

edit on 10/6/16 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

I never said it was.

Also, I couldn't give you an honest answer as pretty much everyone uses insults in one form or another.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:34 PM
link   
"Triggered" has also mostly been used professionally (for years and years) and now seem to be a part of colloquial chat.

But it actually means something in those terms. Such as a Vietnam Vet with PTSD, can be 'triggered' by hearing a helicopter overhead, and react with panic.

A woman who was sexually assaulted while a particular song was playing in the background, might be triggered into a panic attack by hearing that song again.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

I suppose the question could equally be why does the term invoke such a reaction when there are so many other terms that are seemingly acceptable? Not so bad to call someone a bit of a pussy, a bit weak, not the strongest etc...

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Also, I couldn't give you an honest answer as pretty much everyone uses insults in one form or another.

THAT is the point of the OP. Why insult?

I mean, cripes. If you can't have respect for yourself, have a little for the site that gives you a platform. Ideally, have some respect for yourself.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit
I think ATS is going to need a group therapy forum at this rate. Call it the "Safe Space" where only hugs and stars are aloud.

i need that

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join