It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Provides NASA Funding To Build a Space Habitat for Astronauts on Mars

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I came across this article and I thought I'd bring this information to ATS. I love Space stuff so I hope you all can imagine how excited I am at posting this article. NASA is getting a 1.3 Billion dollar funding increase to build a Space habitat for future missions on Mars; of its now 19.3 Billion dollar budget, 55 Million has to be dedicated to the habitat.

Congress wants NASA to have a mission to Mars by increasing the agency’s budget by adding $1.3 billion next year in order to build a space habitat on Mars for future astronauts. Read: Astronauts Will Get to Watch Latest Star Wars Film in Space According to Popular Science, Congress has directed NASA to use $55 million if its $19.3 billion budget to begin the habitat. NASA has 180 days from December 18, the day it was awarded the funding, to produce a status report on the program to Congress. Congress has given NASA until 2018 to build a livable prototype. The agency’s biggest challenges in creating the habitat include protecting astronauts from radiation and crafting a light-weight territory. Read: In 1969, It Cost Buzz Aldrin $33.31 to Fly to the Moon NASA hopes to begin testing the habitat between the Earth and moon by the 2020s and to conduct crewed missions to Mars by the 2030s.

NASA has had funding woes for a long time with a budget that was barely able to push anything forward. I'm glad Congress finally got off their a$$e$ and are giving NASA more of what it needs to make moves and motivate. I just had to pass this information along. What says ATS?

www.insideedition.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I realize this is a good thing, I just have to question the motive/agenda and as well, where is this f#ing money coming from? The national debt has been frozen, are taxes going up or is the FED printing more money and the value of money is going down?

I guess the goverment doesn’t want Elon Musk to get there first and claim it for himself? Lol

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I do not see the point in going to Mars. We can study it with robotics and learn everything we need to know. And the only thing I want to know is if Mars was once an Earth like planet, why is it not now? If we think Mars is the alternative to inhabit because Dear Old Planet Earth is doomed, consider that if Mars once had an atmosphere and rivers and life, it is obviously a failure. Earth is a long way from being a failure and any problems our planet has could be solved with the billions and billions we would spend trying to create a habitable environment on that planet. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I am as curious as anyone about space. I own a pretty expensive telescope and spend hours at night looking at planets and stars. Took my first photos of Mars two weeks ago and they are incredible. But to go there....not a good decision.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 04:36 PM
link   

I take issue with a tax payer funded space program.

I actually think space exploration is really cool but it should be funded by private funds.

Someone will probably say that "if it wasnt for the space program, we wouldnt have Tang and Teflon".

I'm sure that private enterprise will be just as good as government if not better when it comes to making space related discoveries.

We are already horribly in debt and really need to start cutting back and focusing on our priorities.

edit on 10-6-2016 by gladtobehere because: wording

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   

About time they got their selves in gear. Many people have been waiting for this announcement, me included.

I call dibs on the first house with a garden full of potatoes!

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Mars...been there, done that long ago.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
As American Infrastructure deteriorates, Bridges, roads, electrical grid overloaded and people that still can't get proper medical treatment including vets; that we don't have enough taxdollars for...but we can still spend enough of our money to create another boondoggle on Mars and give subsidies to profitable companies.

Capitalism at it's most obscene.

People living under bridges or homeless but we have money to build a habitat on Mars? what's wrong with this picture.....
edit on 10-6-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Is it just me or do all American alphabet agencies seem to really struggle with math when it comes to money?

$1.3 billion to build a $55 million habitat?

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Fantastic!

Finally, I finally get to start my potato farm.
edit on 10-6-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I wish they'd find legit reasons for going to Mars other than just "because it's there". That same excuse is why we haven't returned to the moon yet. It's a colossal sum of money to throw at somethign. Yes it helped us to understand things and build technologies, but there're other ways of doing that. If NASA and congress we can't come up with better reasons then give the wheel to industry and let it produce ideas. Economic reasons are what space travel needs. Even Columbus, one of the most famous voyagers, didn't go on spirit alone. He was expected to return with wealth and find new shipping lanes.
edit on 6/10/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

I'd gladly pay taxes into space exploration rather than war and corporate welfare.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

You bastard.

edit on 10-6-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   
find me an article where nasa fundings are meager or suspended ever, or less than 7 billion/yr (or its equivalent respective to the decade). nasa avg. 8 bil yr since it became nasa to now.

i cant stand defending this slush fund keeping some rich folks perpetually rich.

poor nasa....and its execs... i mean scientists. i know they are doing some vital research for mankind right now... and not doing fruitless experiments (go google before you reply knowing more than everyone on earth.)
edit on 10-6-2016 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Haha! (Said in a nelson from Simpsons voice)

And now I have that potato song stuck in my head. Thanks

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: gladtobehere

I'd gladly pay taxes into space exploration rather than war and corporate welfare.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I'd much rather my money go to scientific exploration than means of death.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: IkNOwSTuff
Is it just me or do all American alphabet agencies seem to really struggle with math when it comes to money?

$1.3 billion to build a $55 million habitat?

I would hope the rest of that money goes to the big obstacle:

Actually GETTING to Mars.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryDon79
a reply to: Swills

Haha! (Said in a nelson from Simpsons voice)

And now I have that potato song stuck in my head. Thanks

Thought it was (Stewie Griffin) from family guy voice?

Funny anyway.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Cool... about time we had a base there that is in the "white" world.

I trust they'll work out the time share amicably.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 06:01 PM
link   
but but but what about those homeless humans HERE ON EARTH

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Bravo! As a species, we either begin terraforming Mars and create a settlement there or we will eventually become extinct. One ELE on earth will eventually take us out. Guaranteed. Yes, we need to become a multi planet species.

A little greenhouse gas and Mars will be might cozy (again?).

Thanks for the thread!

Cool

top topics

<<   2 >>

join