It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Microsoft...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: Klassified

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker
I despise Microsoft for the reasons you stated, plus how they force updates at times. A few months ago when it was asking me to update, I always clicked "later" until finally all options to defer it were greyed out and I had no choice to delay it any longer. It then just installed by itself. That is shady crap right there and makes me wonder what exactly are they installing on your system that they think you better have or else. There has to be a conspiracy behind it all.

iTruthSeeker

I have it set in control panel to 'always ask'. Nothing should force update when you do that. I have a message panel that tells me what I have not accepted and gives me the opportunity to, from windows updates to java updates, but none have ever forced update.

Glad you brought this up. I have now had two instances of a Windows 7 update turning automatic updates back on, even if it was set to manual. I know this for a fact, because I'm the one who set those machines to manual updates. There may be more, but so far, those are the only two I'm aware of.

Were they your machines or did they belong to other people? They may have gotten a pop up asaying 'there are updates waiting' or 'it is recommended you change this setting", they could have done that without even being sure that they did.

One was a laptop I use on-site when I need a machine in the field. I know for a fact how it was set, and the other was a client I've had for years. I know him well enough to know he didn't intentionally change them. Not even if Windows complained. He ignores that crap. I'm hoping these two, or even one, was just a glitch in the matrix, so to speak. If MS starts changing peoples Win 7 update settings, that's even more under-handed than what they're already doing.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_
It's a real shame to see MS acting like two-bit thugs. If it's a good OS, it will stand on it's own by word of mouth. In time, just like XP did, it will become dominant on its own, without coercion or unethical tactics.

I have caught the update service sitting and maxing out a processor core on several occasions recently where I had to go to task manager and manually stop the service. Now I have the update service permanently stopped.

Ditto. KB3050265 and KB3102810 didn't fix everything with Windows update, but they helped.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I won't be updating either of my desktops to Windows 10 anytime soon, but I have a newer hybrid laptop (laptop where the screen folds back to turn it into a tablet) and it came with Windows 10 Home. I purchased a Windows 10 Pro key, disabled all the spyware garbage, and disabled automatic updates.

So far I've had no issues, and the laptop runs fast and smooth. Obviously that is the exception and not the rule. It seems like hardware and drivers that were specifically built for Windows 10 have fewer problems than older computers.

It also seems more prevalent that a fresh install of Windows 10 is far less problematic than upgrading a previous OS through the update service. Too many things can go wrong when trying to update to a new OS while also trying to keep files and directories intact on the computer at the same time.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
just so those home users who read this and have no issues with 10 understand, in a business environment, you MUST ensure that every aspect of the business environment can operate in the new OS BEFORE any upgrade. With the way windows 10 has been, it was like a gnat in your ear that won't go away until you upgrade, then MS snuck it in overnight to "automatically" update, and if you didn't know how to stop it, it went through. Only then do you find out that the program you can't run your business without won't work with 10 and you are dead in the water until your IT guy can drop everything he's doing and come to the rescue. Now I won't lie to you and say we don't like that, we do. It pays well and makes us look smarter than we might be. But for small businesses that are on a tight budget, they don't need the extra expense that this caused. And there are plenty of applications that just don't work with 10. So please understand, just because your tablet works great with 10, there are reasons this was a crappy thing for MS to do. As was said, if it's that good, it will be what everyone switches to soon enough anyway.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Yeah, Hi!, I'm one, too.

Totally raped by MS the very day after giving them cold hard cash for their stupid operating system.

I need it for work. Simple as that.

And that's the lesson.

MS has taken the fun out of computing. By corporate mandate.

Know that and move on.

It's hard to have it end like this.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: anonymous1legion

That should be sent to Microsoft, although I'm sure they already know.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
sorry
edit on 10-6-2016 by Bybyots because: sorry

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Bybyots
There is a version of MS Office for the Mac. So no worries there, either.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Over here you can still opt out of the upgrade for the time being, but that option is rather hard to find from what I read. Also apparently MS now considers clicking that little 'X' in the upper right corner to shut down the application as consent to install Win10. Nice going, Microsoft!

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Mine kicked in some days ago, I was on youtube or something I believe, then went to the desktop to check something. I turned my head for a minute to look at something on the desk. When I turned it back windows 10 was installing itself all mysteriously like.

I had my finger on the power switch and was thinking of pulling the plug out the wall before it restarted. But then I though "Ah what the hell, bound to happen sooner or latter"

There generally is no, or very little difference between all these programs and versions of windows even from the first ones that came out, you know other then just the new and improved data gathering methods and tools. Most if not all windows programs I had were I would say equally as crappy, but they get the job done..../reboot...

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
The issue is not with Windows 10. The issue is with all the software that won't run on Windows 10. This is not strictly Microsoft's fault. However, they are inadvertently causing the issue by an unprecedented push to move to their new OS. Or perhaps not so accidently.. hard to tell, I've never seen MS push an OS so hard before.

So your home computer running some games and Office runs fine? Ok.. great. In an enterprise environment, there are literally hundreds to even thousands of applications, and many are NOT ready for Windows 10. That is the real issue. Their push to force folks to switch by June or July of next year is crazy. Most medium or larger businesses (200 + computers) will have a difficult time completing that transition. Have a Skylake processor? Have fun getting nothing but "most critical updates" (whatever that means), starting the middle of next year, unless you push out Windows 10.

I guess the OP is a consultant.. and for them, it's a flipping Y2K bonanza once again. For IT managers, it's a nightmare.

I thought it was hilarious when someone wanted a MS Bluetooth mouse installed today. I couldn't.. it wouldn't support Windows 7. The brand - Microsoft.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 02:03 AM
link   

I'm glad someone is making a living off of microsl*p's ugliness.

I have a robust HP desktop . . . Win 10 . . . and the last window I was using--particularly if I went from it to the window now on top--after 3-7 seconds, the last window will jump to the top--stopping whatever I was doing with the 2nd window. Haven't found a way to track it down or stop it. It gets infuriating at times . . . which seems to be a major microsl*p product--infuriating exasperation.

And calling MS for help is like giving them an almost unmonitored tap to your bank account.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: anonymous1legion

I would have finished the blinking video IF

the idiot making it had kept the music quiet enough to hear and understand the words.

Sheesh.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

I also have an old dell win7 bought at Walmart, display model, under 200, no issues ever, think I've had it close to 4 yrs now. Run Avg and alls been well, it's been begging me to update. Lol but nope! Bought my daughter new Mac, hate it. Oh, got a couple invite to IPT if anyone wants one, yeah. If it works don't fix it!

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Yet strangely I have 3 desktops & 2 laptops running Windoows 10 with NO issues.

I suppose growing up from the Atari age with computers is a help.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I still can't find the "Control Panel"

wassupwitdat!

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: baddmove
I still can't find the "Control Panel"

wassupwitdat!

Right click the start button.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Sorry, but as a PC guy from the Win 3.1 days, I don't see the issues you do.

None of my customers have come back with data loss, nor have any of them complained about 10, beyond the "forced" upgrade.

I use it daily, I'm in the Insider program, and I'm running Build 14342.rs1_release.160506-1708 and have ZERO issues with this pre-release OS.

I've used Linux, and loved it. I dual boot Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon, and when I was using 7, I used Linux more often than I do now.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: wmd_2008

Yet strangely I have 3 desktops & 2 laptops running Windoows 10 with NO issues.

I suppose growing up from the Atari age with computers is a help.

Some people think that green beans are awesome, and have eaten them their whole lives with no issues, and that's great, but I don't like them, and I don't want them put on my plate without my permission.

I'm glad you haven't had any issues. Good for you, but your experience isn't everyone elses. Neither does everyone like having a product they do not want, forced on them, no matter how "good" it is.

In the many years I've been in the industry, I've learned that many people are too ignorant to know they even have an issue.
edit on 6/11/2016 by Klassified because: eta

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join