It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News poll: Johnson steamrolling ahead, now at 12% nationally.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

Fox News Poll: Trump drops, now trails Clinton.

The poll shows there’s potential support for an independent candidate.

In the Clinton-Trump matchup, seven percent of voters volunteer the response “someone else.”

In addition, in a three-way contest that includes Libertarian Gary Johnson, he receives 12 percent, yet Clinton still tops Trump by 39-36 percent.

Not including the 7% which chose "other".

This is VERY exciting for those of us who have no desire to vote for any of the current "choices" Trump/Hillary/Sanders.

And apparently, we're not alone, Trump and Clinton are the most despised candidates in history.

If Johnson simply plays the part correctly, he might be able to do the impossible.

Better bring in Dr. (Ron or Rand) Paul as an adviser.

If the Hillary indictment can come after her nomination, I'm willing to bet we'll have a Johnson presidency. He is my preferred candidate and would absolutely love to vote for him. Unfortunately, as long as Hillary is running I have to vote for whoever can beat her.

Johnson can easily beat Trump if Hillary gets out of the way first.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

yup I agree.. but the trick is stop worrying about the president... if you use the 4 years to squeeze a couple people into congress you can then work at breaking the cycle.

The president is a figure head (unless you have an actual statesman in office) all the power is in congress that is where the country will be fixed... or lost permanently.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I'm going back to independent as soon as I get off of ATS. Went Dem for Bernie just as he went Dem to get a national audience, before that, went Republican to vote against some local asshats that were also repubs. But, deep down, there is no party that holds any interest for me.
I've said in previous posts that I will do my civic duty this fall and vote, but I might just leave that POTUS spot blank.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyrrho

originally posted by: gladtobehere

Fox News Poll: Trump drops, now trails Clinton.

The poll shows there’s potential support for an independent candidate.

In the Clinton-Trump matchup, seven percent of voters volunteer the response “someone else.”

In addition, in a three-way contest that includes Libertarian Gary Johnson, he receives 12 percent, yet Clinton still tops Trump by 39-36 percent.

Not including the 7% which chose "other".

This is VERY exciting for those of us who have no desire to vote for any of the current "choices" Trump/Hillary/Sanders.

And apparently, we're not alone, Trump and Clinton are the most despised candidates in history.

If Johnson simply plays the part correctly, he might be able to do the impossible.

Better bring in Dr. (Ron or Rand) Paul as an adviser.

If the Hillary indictment can come after her nomination, I'm willing to bet we'll have a Johnson presidency. He is my preferred candidate and would absolutely love to vote for him. Unfortunately, as long as Hillary is running I have to vote for whoever can beat her.

Johnson can easily beat Trump if Hillary gets out of the way first.

It's nice to have dreams...
It really is.
Never have a Johnson presidency. Not this one anyway.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
Sorry, but I don't think I could ever support Johnson.
In the interview where he admitted to being a regular pot user, he came off sounding like a total stoner.
Now, I have known many nice and intelligent stoners in my time, but I just can't at this time say that it is a characteristic that should be encouraged in the president of our country.

What a ridiculous notion. He has stopped smoking and have said he will not use marijuana while he is in office.

All these clowns drink alcohol which is way more damaging both to the body and to society. But that's cool, right?

His pot use has nothing to do with his ability to run this country and would not negatively impact it. If anything, it would give us a president that is far more real than the idiots it seems everyone else is voting for.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Gary Johnson. Libertarian Party. ....just make sure you understand what it is, and if you agree with everything, then fine, no problem. But don't be deceived by what you "think" he or it is.

The Gary Johnson Swindle and the Degradation of Third Party Politics

I want to take one last look at our alleged "third choice", the huckster who supposedly "shakes up the status quo" and can "break the two-party stranglehold." Or, as he calls himself, "Perrier."
Since Gary Johnson and libertarianism is the only real Third Party choice our gangrenous democracy allows us, it’s time we took a serious look at him — and it’s not pretty, folks. Because if you poke beneath the facade, what you find is a sponge absorbing just about every bad right-wing idea, and a campaign mixed up with some of the most loathsome GOP political operators of the last few decades.
The fact that Gary Johnson’s Libertarian Party was founded and funded by the Koch brothers (David Koch ran as the Libertarian Party’s VP in 1980 in order to make it easier for the Kochs to shovel more money into the party and the libertarian cause), and that Gary Johnson was a longtime loyal Republican — considering all of this, and what’s at stake in presidential elections, it would seem to me malpractice for a journalist to assume there isn’t a story, or several stories, to be found under the Gary Johnson rock. Stories that matter. And that are bizarre and fun and grotesque in their own right......
[the article continues with the names and those stories]
Johnson’s actual record as governor of New Mexico was that of a law and order authoritarian, on the right-wing fringe of the Republican Party. Johnson ran on a “law and order” platform, stiffening prison sentences (while recklessly privatizing the prisons), along with a broader program of slashing taxes, slashing social programs, and privatizing schools. He was divisive, and his law and order policies led to some of the worst prison violence in decades.

It wasn’t until after Gary Johnson won his second term and final term as New Mexico’s governor, and turned his attention to the national stage, that he had his big epiphany about locking up marijuana smokers. Johnson’s about-face on locking up drug offenders sounded brave and newsworthy to outsiders who didn’t know his record — wow! a pot-friendly Republican governor, how cool! Johnson wanted to make the jump to the national stage, and what easier way than adopting the one popular plank in the Koch brothers’ libertarian political platform, legalizing pot, to make journalists and the public forget about all the grim libertarian policies he’d not only talked about but implemented.
Johnson’s drug-legalization cant provided the perfect PR distraction from his real record on crime, which came down to this: privatizing half the prison population, harsh "three strikes your out" sentencing laws, and wetting his beak with campaign donations from the same private prison corporation, Wackenhut [renamed "Geo Group"], that Johnson picked to run New Mexico’s private prisons.
That last corrupt boondoggle about Gov. Johnson’s public-private highway-widening project is something I would’ve advised him to leave off that list, and scrub from the record as thoroughly as possible. This highway widening project has been attacked by everyone in New Mexico on both sides of the aisle, because rather than spending highway funds wisely, Gov. Johnson blew a giant hole in New Mexico’s budget by handing the project over to a Koch Industries asphalt subsidiary, earning the billionaire brothers tens of millions of dollars, while nearly bankrupting New Mexico’s budget and depriving the state of funds for roads in rural areas.

The Koch Industries-Gary Johnson road boondoggle was such a shocking example of bad, corrupt, Third World government, that the Albuquerque Journal published a multi-part investigative series exposing the scams, followed by a special 24-page summary report...
The road-widening cost the state $345 million, which Gov. Johnson covered by tapping a federal bond program giving the state 20 years to pay back the interest. So the “principled” budget-conscious libertarian governor forced his state deep into debt to pay for a campaign donor's pork barrel project, and the only way he could raise that much debt was to go to Washington DC and borrow everything he could against the state, sticking the poorest state in America with the bill: $345 million for construction of the road, plus another $142 million in interest on those bonds. It will take New Mexico's residents twenty years to pay off what was essentially a transfer of a half-billion dollars from New Mexico's residents' wallets into the Kochs brothers' offshore accounts....The Upshot: The Kochs bankrolled Gary Johnson’s 1998 campaign
Gary Johnson’s campaign for the presidency to shake up the corrupt two-party system and introduce a new kind of politics outside the old paradigm of left and right, was:

Managed by a Republican/Koch pollster who partnered with far-right GOP dirty tricksters and the founder of Citizens United
..he’ll let you smoke pot. If your state votes to legalize pot, that is. If your state still wants to put you in prison for smoking pot, or even stiffen those penalties, sucks for you. That’s not Gary Johnson’s problem.

bold mine

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: desert
Gary Johnson. Libertarian Party. ....just make sure you understand what it is, and if you agree with everything, then fine, no problem. But don't be deceived by what you "think" he or it is.

The Gary Johnson Swindle and the Degradation of Third Party Politics

I want to take one last look at our alleged "third choice", the huckster who supposedly "shakes up the status quo" and can "break the two-party stranglehold." Or, as he calls himself, "Perrier."
Since Gary Johnson and libertarianism is the only real Third Party choice our gangrenous democracy allows us, it’s time we took a serious look at him — and it’s not pretty, folks. Because if you poke beneath the facade, what you find is a sponge absorbing just about every bad right-wing idea, and a campaign mixed up with some of the most loathsome GOP political operators of the last few decades.
The fact that Gary Johnson’s Libertarian Party was founded and funded by the Koch brothers (David Koch ran as the Libertarian Party’s VP in 1980 in order to make it easier for the Kochs to shovel more money into the party and the libertarian cause), and that Gary Johnson was a longtime loyal Republican — considering all of this, and what’s at stake in presidential elections, it would seem to me malpractice for a journalist to assume there isn’t a story, or several stories, to be found under the Gary Johnson rock. Stories that matter. And that are bizarre and fun and grotesque in their own right......
[the article continues with the names and those stories]
Johnson’s actual record as governor of New Mexico was that of a law and order authoritarian, on the right-wing fringe of the Republican Party. Johnson ran on a “law and order” platform, stiffening prison sentences (while recklessly privatizing the prisons), along with a broader program of slashing taxes, slashing social programs, and privatizing schools. He was divisive, and his law and order policies led to some of the worst prison violence in decades.

It wasn’t until after Gary Johnson won his second term and final term as New Mexico’s governor, and turned his attention to the national stage, that he had his big epiphany about locking up marijuana smokers. Johnson’s about-face on locking up drug offenders sounded brave and newsworthy to outsiders who didn’t know his record — wow! a pot-friendly Republican governor, how cool! Johnson wanted to make the jump to the national stage, and what easier way than adopting the one popular plank in the Koch brothers’ libertarian political platform, legalizing pot, to make journalists and the public forget about all the grim libertarian policies he’d not only talked about but implemented.
Johnson’s drug-legalization cant provided the perfect PR distraction from his real record on crime, which came down to this: privatizing half the prison population, harsh "three strikes your out" sentencing laws, and wetting his beak with campaign donations from the same private prison corporation, Wackenhut [renamed "Geo Group"], that Johnson picked to run New Mexico’s private prisons.
That last corrupt boondoggle about Gov. Johnson’s public-private highway-widening project is something I would’ve advised him to leave off that list, and scrub from the record as thoroughly as possible. This highway widening project has been attacked by everyone in New Mexico on both sides of the aisle, because rather than spending highway funds wisely, Gov. Johnson blew a giant hole in New Mexico’s budget by handing the project over to a Koch Industries asphalt subsidiary, earning the billionaire brothers tens of millions of dollars, while nearly bankrupting New Mexico’s budget and depriving the state of funds for roads in rural areas.

The Koch Industries-Gary Johnson road boondoggle was such a shocking example of bad, corrupt, Third World government, that the Albuquerque Journal published a multi-part investigative series exposing the scams, followed by a special 24-page summary report...
The road-widening cost the state $345 million, which Gov. Johnson covered by tapping a federal bond program giving the state 20 years to pay back the interest. So the “principled” budget-conscious libertarian governor forced his state deep into debt to pay for a campaign donor's pork barrel project, and the only way he could raise that much debt was to go to Washington DC and borrow everything he could against the state, sticking the poorest state in America with the bill: $345 million for construction of the road, plus another $142 million in interest on those bonds. It will take New Mexico's residents twenty years to pay off what was essentially a transfer of a half-billion dollars from New Mexico's residents' wallets into the Kochs brothers' offshore accounts....The Upshot: The Kochs bankrolled Gary Johnson’s 1998 campaign
Gary Johnson’s campaign for the presidency to shake up the corrupt two-party system and introduce a new kind of politics outside the old paradigm of left and right, was:

Managed by a Republican/Koch pollster who partnered with far-right GOP dirty tricksters and the founder of Citizens United
..he’ll let you smoke pot. If your state votes to legalize pot, that is. If your state still wants to put you in prison for smoking pot, or even stiffen those penalties, sucks for you. That’s not Gary Johnson’s problem.

bold mine

I don't need to agree with everything he stands for or everything that's in the LP platform. I don't.

But it's easy to see he is a far better, common sense option than the joke candidates everyone is complaining about.

All I hear is, "Trump is corrupt" without acknowledgement of Hillary being the same or worse. And vice versa.

And the others that seem to hate them both cry about why there are no better options!

Wake up, there ARE! Take your power back, take your voice back. Stop voting for trash.

Garbage in, garbage out.
edit on 6/10/2016 by atomish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
To quote the headline...
Steamrolling ahead.
What will the #feelthejohnson steamroller actually steamroll other than air?

What exactly did it flatten to begin with?

Enquiring minds want to know.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: desert
For some reason none of that shocked me. Maybe because so many shocking things are occuring it no longer stands out? One thing I know is I don't think I'm voting for either of the two parties. Too mcuh double speak. Makes no difference if someone kills you softly or not--you're still dead. Maybe that's unavoidable in politics. The premise of smaller government and more accoutnability for our actions appeals ot me, though. A smaller government can counter its potentially ugly appetite for authority. Of course all of this relis on a reposnsible educated citizenry. Is that even possible? It seems oligarchy is the inevitable outcome no matter the sentiments of the people.

Sentiment is always the first to go...

Maybe I should wisen up to the realities of this world and just vote for Hillary because Trump disgusts me more. But then I think of--what was his name--Bobby or Robby Kennedy? He quotes someone or maybe stated himself something to the effect of "Some look at things in this world and ask why, I look at things which never were and ask why not?" Maybe MLK said it.
edit on 6/10/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

There are reasons that politics today is about as bad as it gets. I love my country, but we've been being shoved down the crapper for awhile; its just that people didn't think about it, probably thought they were invited to go for a swim. Also, even 100+ years ago, the humorist Mark Twain had some very perceptive things to say about American politics. Please read his quotes. With that said, I will say something about oligarchy.

I tried to find the article Who Broke America's Job Machine? by Phil Longman and Barry C. Lynn, but it is no longer at the website. I searched around, nothing. Here is another article that would be helpful Billionaires…First They Came For The Economy

Before they had their sights aimed on science, the billionaires came for our economy, and turned it into an oligonomy.

With the help of Ronald Reagan, they unleashed Reaganomics on America, taking our nation back to the Gilded Age era of oligonomy, an economy dominate by oligarchs. In 1981, soon after he took office, Reagan signed into the law one of the largest tax cuts in history. That legislation included a 23% across-the-board cut to individual income tax rates. And in 1986, Reagan again lowered individual income tax rates.

Meanwhile, Reagan also stopped enforcing the Sherman Antitrust Act, a law that has been on the books since 1890. The Act prevents monopolies from forming, and protects against other unfair business practices. Unfortunately, without being enforced, corporations were allowed to grow out-of-control under Reagan, as the billionaire oligarchs got even richer. This all inevitably led to a massive split between the wealthy elite and everybody else in America, a gap in income equality that is getting worse and worse every day.

Next, the billionaires came for our government, and turned it into an oligarchy. From the halls of Congress to state houses across the country, government is working for the wealthy elite first, and everyone else second. The ultimate proof of the oligarchs’ success in taking over our government came in 2008, when they crashed our economy.
It’s time to end America’s oligonomy by rolling back the Reagan tax cuts and enforcing the Sherman Anti-Trust act, so that corporations can’t grow out-of-control and amass endless piles of money. And as for Washington’s ruling oligarchy, we need to roll back Citizen’s United, and say loudly and clearly that money is not speech.

Life today is complex. It requires a complex fed govt and someone who understands the complexity of fed govt. It requires an efficient govt, but to "drown it in a bathtub" as Koch Libertarians want would just free the oligarchy from any restraint and enforcement left that keeps the oligarchy at bay. A strong fed govt is exactly what keeps the nation from collapsing in on the little people as it has periodically done in the past. Individual states can't do it. (The Koch oligarchy plan is to have no state regulations either!) Libertarianism takes Reaganomics and pushes it head long down the slippery slop to its ultimate end, no govt to make any regulation! You and I would have no protections against what the oligarchy wants to do. We would be set out on our own individual ice flow and waved good-bye and good luck.

It took four decades to get this way, so the fight will be tough to overturn the Reagan Revolution. The RR failed the 99%. It is up to the 99% to struggle back. I'll probably long be dead before things are uprighted. But it has to be started. And now.

I think that the two political parties have heard the message loud and clear, and people must understand that this is just the opening salvo in the battle to get us out of the crapper. A third party just doesn't have the clout to do it. Especially Gary Johnson's connection to the GOP.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite
Maybe I should wisen up to the realities of this world and just vote for Hillary because Trump disgusts me more. But then I think of--what was his name--Bobby or Robby Kennedy? He quotes someone or maybe stated himself something to the effect of "Some look at things in this world and ask why, I look at things which never were and ask why not?" Maybe MLK said it.

You are right, it was Bobby Kennedy and John Kennedy and apparently Edward, too, but I didn't remember Edward's version. They all were Irish and so was George Bernard Shaw, the playwright. Nice Irish way to look at things.
from wikipedia

There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not? Though Kennedy stated that he was quoting George Bernard Shaw when he said this, he is often thought to have originated the expression, which actually paraphrases a line delivered by the Serpent in Shaw's play Back To Methuselah: “You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’". This phrase was first used by his brother John F. Kennedy in 1963 (June 28th), during his visit to Ireland, in his address to the Irish Dail (Government): "George Bernard Shaw, speaking as an Irishman, summed up an approach to life, 'Other people, he said, see things and say why? But I dream things that never were and I say, why not?" (Address on YouTube). Robert's other brother Edward famously quoted it (paraphrasing it even further), to conclude his eulogy to his late brother after his assassination (8 June 1968): Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say why not? - (Eulogy in CBS news video)

The realities of life and the world are many, learned by trial and error, as long as we learn from our errors. The thing is is to go forward. But, yes, the realities of life can be devastating to find out. Our saints were sinners, our heroes tainted, our politicians speak promises you know damn well they can't/won't keep. Doublespeak---I'll decrease poverty might just mean by kicking people off poverty rolls so it appears that poverty is decreasing when all you've done is do away with the evidence that poverty is not decreasing.

Learn not to be fooled. Always question, go behind statements. Don't be like South Park's Underwear Gnomes who happily sing and gather underwear nightly, but don't have a clue to what to do with it.

Did you know that Elizabeth Warren was once a Republican? Yep. And if anything, she exposes the GOP, the puffed up emperors without clothes.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   
The libertarians support the non-aggression principle.

So I vote for them.

Why does the left always bring up the Koch brothers but ignore Soros,Buffett,Gates,and Bloomberg?
edit on 10-6-2016 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: added content

edit on 10-6-2016 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-6-2016 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: added content

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: John_Rodger_Cornman

We should NOT be talking about all that money in politics, regardless of side. They should not participate in what amounts to a system of legalized bribery and influence.

8 Things You Can Do to Help Get Money Out of Politics

Yes, we need a national conversation on our military, regardless of side. We won't get an honest conversation unless we deal with the money in politics.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
What's he need to get into the debates 15%?

To get into the debates both the Republicans and the Democrats have to agree to let him in. The Democrats would easily let him in here because he could siphon votes from Trump. There's no reason for the Republicans to agree though unless he had the ability to bring more states from blue to purple.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
I'm starting to lean more towards Johnson.

If Trump would shutup for 2 minutes I could keep standing behind him but he keeps attacking that Mexican Judge and he's not selling himself properly.

What's he need to get into the debates 15%?

Not big on Trump because hes too authoritarian for my taste, but that judge is a La Raza member which is a kind of mexican national extremely racist organization. So... Its more that Trump is just saying it stupid. Which is its own problem.

Johnson is decent, but he picked a neocon as vp? Why? Made me gag. And he has some positions that are not at all libeetarian. Still though better than anyone else.

Otoh, Trump at least recognizes that the nation,of America exists and is super opposed to all those managed "free" trade deals and has a very pragmatic view of foreign affairs and war. -- assuming hes not making up everything.
edit on 11-6-2016 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Here's the problem (as I see it), many people will NOT vote for any third party. I actually had this discussion at work the other day. The person I spoke with does not like Hillery or Trump, but he will not vote third party cause, "they can't win".

Fact is, many people view elections as more of a sporting contest. They are more interested in picking a "winner' than voting their conscience or even voting on the issues.

This is further compounded by the way the media IGNORES third party Candidates and has done so since the days of Ross Perot. I think Gary Johnson would have a great shot at the White House..... but as long as he is excluded from debates, he will remain out of the mainstream and off the radar.

For those who are not scared to "waste their vote" as some would call it- let me tell you this.....

If Johnson can get 15% of the vote, or any third party can reach that magic number, the establishment will be forced to allow that party's Candidate to participate in the debates next time. Of course that is assuming they do not change the rules again- like they did after Ross Perot which is why you have not seen a third party Candidate at any debate since.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Pyrrho

Never happen did you see the libertarians confrence they lost there minds. They were actually debating on if 5 ur old should be allowed to use heroin. There chairman got up on stage and striped. Then Mcafee was thereally trying to get his nomination after having to flee Brazil because he's being charged with killing his neighbor and who admits he kept teenage girls for sex in his compound. Then there debate we had a visit by Jesus walking across the stage. Then there was the rap song that they had about freedom it was insane to say the least. And we'll there candidate admits he uses sativa. Though apparently he decided to not do it before the convention.

Oh and did I mention Libertarians nominated both Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump for Liberty Outreach Awards in recognition of all they’ve done to promote their party this year. After watching it on Copan though entertaining you see they aren't ready for prime time.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
a reply to: Pyrrho

Never happen did you see the libertarians confrence they lost there minds. They were actually debating on if 5 ur old should be allowed to use heroin. There chairman got up on stage and striped. Then Mcafee was thereally trying to get his nomination after having to flee Brazil because he's being charged with killing his neighbor and who admits he kept teenage girls for sex in his compound. Then there debate we had a visit by Jesus walking across the stage. Then there was the rap song that they had about freedom it was insane to say the least. And we'll there candidate admits he uses sativa. Though apparently he decided to not do it before the convention.

Oh and did I mention Libertarians nominated both Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump for Liberty Outreach Awards in recognition of all they’ve done to promote their party this year. After watching it on Copan though entertaining you see they aren't ready for prime time.

I guess I like not dying in a nuclear war enough to look past some of the odd effects in a hopeful attempt to avoid the alternatives coming from the ruling class parties

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

yeah we have to ban lobbying.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

David French: Third Party Path To Victory ‘Still Possible’

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join