It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama drains $500M From Zika response to U.N. Climate Fund

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   
OK, so Obama gets some money authorized to help fight Zika.

And according to some people, he instead pays most of that money into the U.N. Climate Fight Fund.

I suppose this could be "legal", but who knows with Obama.

The article is saying Puerto Rico has a boat load of Zika cases right now, and it could get worse.

Another head shaker.

Obama drains $500M From Zika response to U.N. Climate Fund

At the same time, he asked Congress for $1.8 billion in funding for the resources to combat the Zika virus, the pathogen spreading rapidly through the Americas that can cause birth defects and neurological problems. In a rare display of fiscal restraint, Congress granted $622 million (mainly from unused Ebola response money).

However, as negotiations continue for even more Zika funding between these two branches of government, it seems that $500 million of those taxpayer dollars initially allotted now sits in the coffers of the United Nations.

Today’s Zika news includes the following:

Zika has blanketed three-quarters of Puerto Rico over the past six months,and health authorities expect it to keep spreading now that it is prime mosquito season. It is estimate that one-quarter of the island’s population will be infected by the time that season is over.
There are currently 189 recorded cases of the Zika virus in New York State, including one just reported in the state capital of Albany.
In Jamaica, all pregnant women are to be tested for the virus.

Today’s climate change/global warming news:

Weather observers misread wind speeds, skewing a major hazards database.
Lake Chad’s shrinkage, once tied to the effects of recent global warming, has been known since 1899 and is related to farming and irrigation practices.
Virgin Islands Attorney General Claude E. Walker has withdrawn his subpoena of the Competitive Enterprise Institute after a rash of criticism over his investigation into climate change dissenters.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:45 PM
link   
What are we missing here?

No. What is Obama doing?

Zika virus swamps embattled Puerto Rico

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

It is a little odd that only 1 Senator says this and it is picked up by small papers. It is not from the fund for Zika most recently asked for, as far as I can see. This information is twisted.

I have talked about the Zika virus being important, it has mainly beem right wing people on here telling me it is a scare tactic for months. This is a 360 degree turn.

edit on 9-6-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

An issue or a disease spreading is a 'scare tactic' until someon on the right thinks Obama did something wrong in regard to unrelated funds and then SUDDDENLY Zika is taking over Puerto rico,has cases in Ny, Fl. make up your damn minds.
edit on 9-6-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Regardless of if this is legal it sure doesn't seem ethical. So we go from a marginal waste of 500m to 'fight Zika' to a complete waste by giving money to the U.N. for 'climate' BS. We the people are again the ones that lose.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:04 PM
link   

After following the series of links, I got to the source. It's an op-ed from Sen. James Lankford in the The Daily Signal.

Basically he's argument is that no money should be spent on anything related to climate change because Zika. There wasn't illegal or unethical done.

In a floor speech last week, I also shed light on the fact that Congress last December provided the Obama administration with authority to pull money from bilateral economic assistance to foreign countries.

They can use those funds to combat infectious diseases, if the administration believed there is an infectious disease emergency. In the middle of the Zika epidemic, the administration did use their authority to pull money from foreign aid and spend it, but they didn’t use it for Zika.

You might ask—so what did the administration spend the infectious disease money on earlier this year? You guessed it… climate change. In March, President Obama gave the United Nations $500 million out of an account under bilateral economic assistance to fund the U.N.’s Green Climate Fund.

I don't know where the word "drain" comes in or the word "raided" or "siphoned" or any of this other melodramatic BS. We could just as easily say that Republic controlled Congress "raided" BILLIONS to pay oil industry subsidies instead of funding research for a Zika virus. It makes basically about as much sense.

edit on 2016-6-9 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   

He is P.R.E.Z. and, therefore, lord-god-king-bufoo...in his own mind.

I look forward to the day that that one goes away, far, far away. Like to the central Sun to be removed from history. But that would cause Hilduh to win the 2008 because there would be no Barry, and I hate to think of RINO McCain in the Office de Ovale.

Quite the conundrum.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I can't wait for Obama to be out of office so I don't have to hear ridiculous made up stories about him anymore.

I don't agree with everything he's done as POTUS but he's a guy i'd love to have a beer with.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
I can't wait for Obama to be out of office so I don't have to hear ridiculous made up stories about him anymore.

I don't agree with everything he's done as POTUS but he's a guy i'd love to have a beer with.

Really?

I would rather party with Bill to be honest.

Obama is an ass.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I understand that when you have a beer with Barry, he picks up the check.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 02:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Obama is an ass.

Yeah , the southbound end of one going north

top topics

join