It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A drug like substance MSG found in alot of our food is toxic

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowBorn
Concerning.
I didn't have a clue substances like aspartame had such effects. I consumed loads through soda's as a kid.

I never never ever liked diet drinks or artificail sweeteners. I never drink that stuff. I had heard something bad about it a while back when they first started really using those artificail sweeteners and diet drinks more often and since I hated the taste of it anyway I was like no way and I never drink or use that stuff.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by n01ukn0w
Quick question to folks that are sensitive to MSG. Does your symptoms appear when you eat meat? Animal fat and MSG are the exact same thing. So, if a potato chip throws you into a migrane headache then so will a steak or piece of grilled chicken. If meat doesn't cause a headache, then I strongly suggest you go see a doctor because it's not the MSG causing your problems.

I only get stomach cramps when I eat potato chips. Nothing else affects me like that. It is Olestra that I read about that causes the cramps and stuff. I can eat fries with no problem and fries and chips are basically the same thing except fries don't have olestra in them. The ones I make at home don't. LOL! Olestra is the culprit.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Quick question to folks that are sensitive to MSG. Does your symptoms appear when you eat meat? Animal fat and MSG are the exact same thing. So, if a potato chip throws you into a migrane headache then so will a steak or piece of grilled chicken. If meat doesn't cause a headache, then I strongly suggest you go see a doctor because it's not the MSG causing your problems.

I am sensitive to all synthetic food additives and had a bad bout with olestra that was in Jolly Time microwave popcorn. I'll never do that again! But I have no problem whatsoever with other brands of microwave popcorn. Harris Teeter brand is one of the best.

To answer your question, I have not experienced any adverse effects from meat, potato chips or grilled chicken that is not contaminated with MSG

I don't agree that animal fat and MSG are the same thing. The latter is a synthetic flavor enhancer and represents an entirely different issue than a problem in digesting fat.

The point should also be made that most doctors do not have much education in nutritional supplementation and preventative medicine.

Their schooling emphasizes what drugs to prescribe, not what food additives to avoid and what vitamins to take

Prescription drugs, usually with horrific side effects, often just deal with covering up the symptoms and do not cure the illness. Doctors know this and the pharmaceutical companies want people to use as many drugs as possible and increase their profit margin. The AMA and the pharmaceutical companies are both out to make a buck at the expense of the sick and aged. The same can be said of the multi-billion dollar vitamin industry but at least they are out to make us healthy and to stay that way.

For example, my mother has a plethora of age-related health problems and diabetes. But her eye doctor and her regular doctor can't figure out why she is doing so well and not degenerating. She gave up on telling them that her vitamins are the reason.

So you just smile at the doctors (many of which are hypocrites and take vitamins themselves but won't prescribe them) and say that your unusual good health is due to heredity and clean living.

Fortunately, there are exceptions to the rule about medical doctors. Like Dr. Andrew Weil.

Doctors of nutrition are an underrated alternative. Like this one who I know personally and can vouch for in being a wealth of information on nutrition and preventative medicine: Dr. Susan Johnson.

[edit on 18-1-2005 by Paul_Richard]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
As you can tell I got my information mixed up. Olestra is the sythnetic fat. Yes it does cause diarrhea in some people, even in my family.

Monosodium glutamate is the flavor enhancer. Review of Alleged Reaction to Monosodium Glutamate and Outcome of a Multicenter Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Study.

Monosodium glutamate causes the blood fat levels to rise.
www.sciam.com...

United Nations - WHO (World Health Organization)
JECFA - Joint FAO/WHO Expert Committee on Food Additives

Chemical Evaluation for Monosodium Glutamate

Explanation of ADI "Not Specified" (for food additives)
jecfa.ilsi.org...

This link mentions that a deficiency in Vitamin B6 can cause problems with processing MSG.
www.netrition.com...

Sometimes I get my information just a bit twisted. But I hope you find the information above enlightening.

[Disclaimer: The above information is not intended to treat or diagnose anything. Please consult a licensed medical doctor before making any choice that is related to your health.]

[edit on 18-1-2005 by n01ukn0w]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   

This link mentions that a deficiency in Vitamin B6 can cause problems with processing MSG.
www.netrition.com...

That's very interesting. I may be able to provide some personal information on this after some time. I am taking a multivitamin now with B6 in it. Of course I thought I was taking a different multivitamin when I noticed other problems with snack foods with MSG but I just don't remember that clearly.

I don't recall who stated this but I don't believe MSG and animal fat are the exact same thing. One is natural and the other is not. I prefer lean meat anyway so I don't have a taste for animal fat.

I have no problem eating plain potato chips but chips that contain MSG result in stomach aches hours or a day or so later. It could be that a higher dosage of MSG was causing a reaction too. For example, eat lots of foods with high MSG together and see if you get a stomach ache within the next day or two.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I think it is important to remember that your body is your best doctor. If you eat something that makes you sick and you have managed to isolate the substance that is causing the problem, then it is best to avoid ingesting that harmful substance -- no matter how many "studies" are conducted that attest to the contrary.

If one were to wait until every supplement was totally validated through governmental studies (which by the way are not immune to prejudiced conclusions), you go through most of your life in ignorance and will probably die prematurely.

For example, there is a black elderberry extract that was developed by an Israeli virologist and clinically tested to not only treat influenza but to actually prevent it from occurring. It is called SAMBUCOL.

If you were to run a Net search on SAMBUCOL, you will find a number of testimonials to confirm its effectiveness, and a lot of disclaimers because it has not been endorsed by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

In having tried SAMBUCOL and in taking it on a daily basis as a supplement (the stuff tastes better than cough syrup and contains no alcohol or other harmful ingredients), I know that it works from experience, possibly better than any other homeopathic medicine.

Since flu shots were not available this year for most of us, this proved to be a good preventative measure and is available in most health food stores.

Now if I were to wait until FDA approval, I'd might be long dead from influenza -- in having almost died from it a couple of years ago. I came down with the "cruise ship virus" (on dry land) and dropped about fourteen pounds in two days. I looked like a cancer or AIDS patient and the hospital couldn't really do much for me. If I had taken SAMBUCOL that December, I may have prevented that whole traumatic experience. The common excuse from doctors about viruses is: "Oh, we can only treat the symptoms (if that) and we don't have anything to give you for it. It just has to work its way through your system."

Sorry for believing in you! Remind me never to trust emergency room physicians again! Or the AMA and the FDA for that matter!

The FDA and the AMA are way behind the learning curve for providing adequate research and awareness to the general public. In lieu of that, one has to do one's own research and listen to one's body. Oftentimes, a cure can be found nutritionally that has no harmful side effects and is much cheaper than prescription medication.

[Disclaimer: Don't take a medical doctor's word about anything regarding your health without first doing some nutritional research on your own. Otherwise, you may wind up taking harmful drugs or facing surgery that could be avoided completely with the right nutritional supplementation.]

[edit on 19-1-2005 by Paul_Richard]

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
My father actually used to have adverse effects to MSG... every time we would order Chinese food, which commonly has MSG in it, he would have to make a point of them not putting it in his food. I guess when he digested it, the chemical would make his throat tighten and make his throat very hoarse, which of course none of us would like!

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
excellent thread....

My girlfriends mom is very much anti MSG !!!

we hear about it all the time...

I'm going to pass along this info that you have provided and the links, I'm sure she'll enjoy reading them.

I too sometimes get a little upset tummy after eating something with MSG in it.. however it never gets real bad... thank goodness.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Another thing exposed by Matt Groening first? Yes, All hail Futurama and The Simpsons!

Originally posted by weirdo
If NWO was to excist one of the ways controlling drugs could be delivered to the population on mass is through the food industry or water system.The amount of crap in pre packed ready meals and fast convinance food is getting out of control and is starting to creep into the fresh food production.Maybe we should all strt looking into major diet changes and the way we gain fresh ingredients before we all turned into zombies.

There is another thread on this website on floride and mind control it makes you stupid and makes people passive most of the time. Heck, I barely drink water anymore.
Thanks for making me paranoid guys.

Yes, the NWO exsist, even some bapist websites are keep track of it(note: I'm not baptist.), they even have a thing bands and control and how they keep the public destracted and "destroy morality"( I don't totally believe this part, b/c I believe it's a choice to follow the sheep or become a "survivor" and a "Shepard"/leader, truly of the people), anyway guess who's on it, my guys the loveable, but failable BSB
I knew this, and I think we should send this out as a virus so everyone can see everything about MSG on their E-mail; and "force" the media to cover it's own BS with the truth. Just for fun

Still sad, matt Groening was right, i.e when bender has the cook off against elzar and uses "'___' lined Water" to win.

posted on Jan, 19 2005 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Well it can be nice to learn new things if they don't confuse you too much. I remember getting some stomach aches after drinking milk too. I thought maybe the milk had gone bad even though it wasn't past the expiration date. Now I've read that milk can contain MSG.

www.truthinlabeling.org...

Some lactose intolerant people may really just be MSG intolerant and don't even know it. I don't know if Mayfield fat free skim milk is processed in a manner that produces no or less MSG than other brands but I have been using that brand in the last year or two to eliminate unexplained stomach aches from the milk. Of course I may not have a problem with drinking any milk because it probably was the high level of MSG in the Dorito chips or Ranch or Barbeque chips that I occasionally ate.

This home page link has some more information on MSG.

[edit on 19-1-2005 by orionthehunter]

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   

MSG, or Monosodium Glutimate, is the exact chemical for animal fat, nothing more nothing less.

After reading more in the link provided below, it appears that the natural unprocessed form of MSG or glutamic acid contains only one single amino acid L-glutamic acid, and nothing else. The processed form of MSG contains another amino acid D-glutamic acid and sometimes (if not often) other contaminants some of which are carcinogenic.

Link below

So I will disagree with your assessment that the unprocessed form of MSG is the same as the manufactured or processed form of MSG.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   

No, it's only from MSG. I've been avoiding it for years and when I do get a headache, I will find out that the last thing I ate contained MSG. There is no way it's the same thing as fat from meat. At least that's what my body tells me.

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I don't think that any of the above was meant to scare anyone,(lol), but I do however take it that we all should be more aware of what we introduce into our bodies. Interesting information and links. Thanks.

And from now on, I will look up those really long words that seem to plague the ingredients section of the foods I have a tendency to want to buy and eat to see just what is going into my body.

Always with respect,

No1nptkulr

posted on Jan, 20 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Well I was going to do an edit and add a comment to the first post but I will do so here since I don't see the edit button at least at the moment.

I stated in my first post that I take the skin off of chicken that I eat such as from KFC. I read that KFC uses MSG in their secret recipe. I stated that I thought this method worked but I didn't know what scientists would say about that method for removing the MSG.

Anyway I haven't had a stomach ache in over a month or two of avoiding foods with MSG and special seasonings except the day after eating the chicken. Coincidence or not? I'm thinking not. I ate alot of chicken and thought I was ok since I didn't immediately notice any side effects. I read that MSG symptoms can take up to 48 hours to appear. So I don't know if peeling the skin off is completely effective if you eat alot of chicken (several pieces). My mother who says she can't eat MSG either was sick within a few hours after eating the chicken.

posted on Jan, 23 2005 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Interesting links!
Thanks guys.

I have no problem with milk of KFC. That one link that someone gave about milk though was gross! LOL! I never though of milk like that.

[edit on 1/23/2005 by Leading Lady]

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I am so glad I found out about MSG and have eliminated it hopefully from the foods I eat. I thought I might be getting a stomach ulcer and it was just this toxic food additive being secretly put into our foods. I haven't had a stomach ache in months or maybe just a slight one (mentioned in an early post) after eating KFC chicken. I used to get one every day after eating heavy MSG foods such as Dorito chips or Barbeque chips. It would be nice if the food companies realize that alot of people might prefer a preservative free Barbeque potato chip.

Anyone else try eliminating headaches, stomach aches etc. by eliminating foods with MSG and see if that works? If you read back through the posts and check food labels ingredients, you can find MSG or similiar aspartame in many foods and diet drinks. MSG is the cause of much pain and suffering I believe just for the profit of the big food companies. Unless it was Monsanto that produces MSG but I haven't checked on that info yet.

I forgot to mention that while it may be hard to avoid all foods with MSG in them by looking at the labels, it really helps I believe if any MSG containing ingredients are near the bottom of the list of ingredients. If MSG is listed near the top of the list, then the dosage of MSG is high and sensitive people will likely immediately start having problems within hours up to 48 hours later. I believe the dosage of MSG you get is important to how severe a problem you will have if you're sensitive to it. For instance if eat Dorito's or Barbeque Chips where MSG is listed near the top of the list and you eat alot of chips, you should notice something within hours or the next day or two if you are sensitive to it.

[edit on 5-3-2005 by orionthehunter]

posted on Mar, 5 2005 @ 04:04 AM
link   
this is very interesting but i was thinking bout all those diff ingredients and ive relised all of these are in all chinese cooking, well the stuff you order over the phone or in a restraunt

aww well should have looked further up this page the chinese 1 has been put across

sowee lol

[edit on 5-3-2005 by Rugoolian]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   

(posted by orionthehunter)
It causes a drug-like effect by tricking your brain into believing the flavor is better.

...but an article in "Reader's Digest", condensed from another one published in "The Wall Street Journal", says, "The secret of MSG lies in the fact that it stimulates the taste buds, thus enhancing their sensibility." According to this explanation, the effect is of a local nature.

(posted by n01ukn0w)
MSG IS a flavor 'enhancer' and has absolutely no taste, sounds contradicting doesn't it?

It has a taste of its own, which disappears when it is added to food, as that same article says: "MSG looks like granulated sugar. When sampled by itself, it tastes slightly like salt; but when mixed with food in order to season it, MSG entirely loses that taste." Elsewhere I read that it is added in tiny quantities since an overdose will give food a very bitter taste.

(posted by orionthehunter)
I remember getting some stomach aches after drinking milk too. I thought maybe the milk had gone bad even though it wasn't past the expiration date. Now I've read that milk can contain MSG.

According to the same article, "MSG, of course, cannot be used on everything. In oven-baked sweet foods and in dairy products, except cheese, it produces no effect. Besides, it gives an unpleasant taste to certain things like kola-based drinks whose taste one does not want lingering in one's mouth."

Maybe it is only the synthetic variety that causes all the problems since the natural product has been used in China for hundreds of years, and before long this clever people would have realized it was harmful: "The Chinese have used MSG for many centuries.They ground a type of seaweed that contained it and sprinkled the powdery stuff on the food." As OriontheHunter has said, the two varieties have different molecular structures.

[edit on 8-3-2005 by Macrento]

posted on Aug, 9 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I surfed upon some MSG videos on youtube and thought I would share with everyone on ATS. I read in one of the youtube blog comments about MSG where someone suggested that all the people who eat MSG in Asia may be somewhat immune to the effects because their glutamate receptors may be blocked due to drinking Green Tea which blocks MSG. Then they added you needed home brewed green tea because the bottled type you buy in the store may not have enough of the ingredient that blocks MSG.

I thought about making a new thread. Searched for this old thread and decided to add links to videos I found here. I don't necessarily agree that MSG will make people fat. It makes food taste better so that you eat more of it. I believe that is why it is added to food. The manufacturers don't care about your health, only about how much money they make selling the product to you. MSG in any large quantity causes me problems so I don't mind informing others that it could result in long term diseases they may not be aware of. For me, it causes a much faster reaction within hours and it can be painful. Anyway here are some youtube links I found today on MSG.

Part 1
www.youtube.com...

Part 2a
www.youtube.com...

Part 2b
www.youtube.com...

Part 3
www.youtube.com...

Part 4
www.youtube.com...

I thought I had some relatives who were completely unaffected by MSG. I'm wondering now if the effects can cause long term diseases. I did read one doctor thought 90 percent of all migraine headaches were caused by MSG or MSG related chemicals or compounds. The video stated aspartame was similar in chemical composition. I've avoided or tried to avoid MSG for years now. I don't believe I've had any serious headaches either in all that time. Avoiding MSG really does limit where you eat and what you eat but I've avoided a lot of pain and the sick feelings as if I had food poisoning as well. I plan to never eat at Fatz restaurants again because I heard they load their food with MSG and I felt like I was dying the next day. I did not realize MSG was causing me problems at that time.

MSG may not be toxic but it definitely is not good for my health or the health of possibly millions of other people who suffer from the effects of it.
edit on 9/8/12 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join