It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clean energy - a device with the power of the Sun?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Makes me wonder about the permanent magnets though as the errant particle collisons would likely shorten their life cycle and require some maintenance.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

Yeah... A smart design would be to place the magnets far from the collision event, and if a magnetic field is needed right next to the reactor, then place metal rods to conduct the far-away magnet's fields up to the reactor. That way the rods would get the radiation damage instead of the magnets, and metal rods are cheaper to replace than magnets.

A similar design is used in electric guitar pickups. Electric guitar strings need to be magnetised to work, but strapping a magnet onto the strings is impractical. So in practice, the magnet is placed at the bottom of the pickup, and metal poles carry the magnetic field all the way up to the strings, making the strings magnetic.

edit on 11-6-2016 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I agree and for the record P90s ftw...

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness

Yeah, seems that there are those types of musicians everywhere!

I have an Explorer (stock pups) but have considered the Fishman new pups as an upgade. Love the Dimarzio sound though... classic rock (Marshall and what not). Last guitar was a tele... still need P90s one!

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: BigBrotherDarkness, a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Hehe

Dimarzio are good for that rock sound, especially in a guitar built for sustain. P90s are perfect for that warm, jazz tone.

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Ive an old SG Junior I got rid of my other rigs aside from an acustic a violin and a small practice amp and an Ampeq bass cab with two 15s in it and dean markley tube head to drive it. On 3 it shakes apartment buildings lol... never mind 10 or 12 though I used to level it at that for back in the day keggers... ppl could hear stuff going down over a mile away at the uni. Got a lil nortorious with the police though yet no neighbor complaints at all so it was full on Nazi style... who complained? no one but but you guys cant have it this loud... cops get bored wanna hang even in the uniform must really suck sometimes I guess.

It may sound like old fart glory days but most of us are all still exactly the same, just older so no back in the day business as it never really ended... people just spread out.

But yeah my Jr with the dog ear P90 growls like a demon cat through any distortion or as clean as the best humbucker ever made.

I dont know about fusion bass these days just to keep things midly on topic but yeah tattoo machines have a very good coil system as well even better than pickup coils in quaility and on the cheap if anyone is looking to source to strong power house electro mags... those coils are down to a science with full calulations of expectation and can be 8 or 10 wrapped typical and push a hell of a lot of voltage through them... and macine screw threaded cores on one side so they can post up easily for diy.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: delbertlarson

Btw I've sent you PM

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

You mean, like in a Van de Graaff accelerator? Electrodes move the charged ions or particles from one end to another - except that in your project, the two ends meet so to form a loop.

I was so caught up with oscillating fields accelerators, I had completely forgotten about electrostatic accelerators. That's actually quite genius of an idea, the device would be much less power-hungry indeed.

To get hydrogen isotope ions, I assume you're thinking about electrolysing water?

Actually it is simpler than a Van de Graff or Pelletron. (My thesis project was in the basement of Ray Herb's company. He was in competition with Van de Graff and named his devices Pelletrons.) For ECOFusion, you just need power supplies and electrodes at the right potentials. One can get 250 kV power supplies.

Things don't really form a loop, at least not with the voltages. The entire main ring is at ground potential. The electron sources are at negative potential, and the ion sources at positive potential. You then accelerate the beams into the ring. The electrons are bent out and collected in a collector at negative potential recovering most of their energy. The ions continue to recirculate. You keep adding ions until the amount in equals the amount out due to fusion and hard scatterings.

Yes, that is how you get the hydrogen.

As for nuclear activation of materials, it will be a problem. However the big problem has always been getting energy gain. ECOFusion allows considerable freedom in choices of materials, so the secondary problems should be looked at once we get energy gain. (At least that has been my approach.)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Seeing how you say ground potiential and ions lower which places these two close to the same level as models put te ion cloud near ground level and the electron potiential that floats and exchanges above isnt much different than Telsas coil design in theory and operation the novelty plasma lamps are basically a contained Telsa coil...

I think as long as you move towards such ideas and use the earth as the 3rd leg of the transistor to harness and I dont mean earth as in the grounding sort, there can be an absorbtion or accumliation of these electrons in order to perform work instead of the unconglomerated mass just seen as thin air.

The tech for such is out there just bound in several different papers that require some digging them out and piecing them in... hitting popular mechanics and sciences archives is a teasure trove for all te puzzle pieces needed for pulling tech from several trapped in patent designs and uses for new stuff... of course open source is better so its not a slow dish stagnation but hey not my baby just a suggestion so tech can pull us all out of the battle grounds 1000s of years old into the future for humanities benefit.

Of course for personal wealth monkey see monkey do of patents isnt obviously a crime but infringment is and turning profit give libel and probable cause and well mountains crumble... hence my suggestion of open source. Too much headache in that sector when livelyhood can happen in so much less complex ways thhan noosing technology and innovations growth for stictly profit and not advancement itself.

The conundrums of life eh? Well at least hobbies can also be passions if one doesnt put food on the table another one will.

posted on Jun, 15 2016 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Researchers demonstrated that lithium-coated walls can handle temperatures exceeding 200 eV. The influx of lithium to the reactor's core is expected to decrease as the plasma edges heat up to fusion-relevant temperatures. Also, because lithium is the lightest of all solid metals, if modest amounts of lithium are sputtered, it does not impact performance.
The lithium sputtering decreases continuously at higher energies, up to temperatures of 10 keV or more.

ScienceDaily, June 15, 2016 - Hotter all the way: Lithium wall contains plasma without cooling it.

The plasma heats up and does touch the inside walls of nuclear fusion reactors. When that happens microscopic pieces of tungsten (most typical fusion reactor material) are created. The effect is called, "sputtering". The particular item being discussed in this paper is using liquid lithium to coat the walls of a tokomak. Because the densities between lithium and deuterium-tritium plasma are compatible the furthest out plasma does not lend heat to the reactor wall. That keeps from having to add more energy into the system to heat the plasma back up.

What the article failed to point out is that the lithium wall also creates more tritium. They also do not explain how it is done (liquid lithium is vaporized by another heating element and due to the magnetic fields generated to contain the plasma they are pushed up against the reactors wall). The Lithium Tokomak Experiment (LTX) was carried out at the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory (PPPL). There was another demonstration of the same kind of device (Liquid lithium limiter) at China's EAST reactor. Looks like liquid lithium is the winner!

And a two'fer!

ScienceDaily, June 15, 2016 - Supercomputers predict new turbulent interactions in fusion plasmas which talks about synergetic interference between small scale interference in the electrons and the larger ion interference. They show they cooperate to keep cooling the plasma! The assumption was that the electron turbulences should not interfere with the larger ion one so it was politely ignored. Shows that assumptions about "what you think you know" can cause you issues further down the line! This work was done at MIT.

All this talk about fusion makes me wonder what is going on. The MIT research was announced last year in August (I know it takes a while for a technical announcement to be widely understood but this is excessive). So is this some kind of "controlled release" of nuclear fusion? If there is going to be a reactor turned on that produces energy then Massachusetts is your best bet because they are installing a redox flow batter there this year.

I love it when a plan comes together!

posted on Jun, 16 2016 @ 02:07 PM
link   

250 kV?! Wow, that's pretty low energy requirements, actually.

In comparison, boat motors are in the thousands of kV. In theory you could power the accelerator on a deep cycle battery?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join