It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The left is HORRIBLE at marketing.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   
The left has blown a lot of issues due to bad marketing....and I'm not talking about failing to win over hard core conservatives. I am talking about the way issues the left has correct are precieved by moderates and independents.

They will choose the correct side of an issue, then name the movement something inherently false or hypocritical.

Take "black lives matter" for example...

There is no doubt that poor African Americans are discriminated against by the American justice system. They get more time for the same offences as other races and the relative percent of unarmed blacks shot by police is insane.

However because they chose "black lives matter" instead of "all lives matter" (which is inherently more true) they were quickly pushed aside and discounted.

Where would conservative media have gone, if BLM was the exact same in every way, but instead chose to use "all lives matter" and also highlighted other races being shot by police??

When a random person hears both tag lines, which do you think they agree with more???

It's the same with "white privledge".....

Is it really that every single "white" person is given a boost of some kind??? Or is it that blacks are unfairly targeted more than other races???

Because I can assure you as a white guy who grew up in trailer parks in Mississippi, cops gives the trailer park kids a lot of crap too...and the upper classes still look down on you.

So is "white privledge" actually a fair discription of the issue????

There are way too many good people won over to horrible causes just because of marketing.

Take "right to work" when it really means right to pay less, stop unions, and fire for no reason.

edit on 9-6-2016 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
hit post early, fixing it in edit

You are not selling your post too well either!

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DupontDeux

It's kinda ironic, right?

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   
"The" left is not a thing. Really. It is not a single hivemind with everyone having the same opinion.

Just like "the" right. They aren't all Trump-fans, right?

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Nah, I've been in marketing for quite a few years now, and the left has it way more figured out than the right does.

That said, your points are correct as to the specific 'movements' that you mention, but what you're talking about are "progressive" movements, not Liberal movements, and these really seem to have started ordinary folk and spread like wildfire via social media.

And that's the problem--once something is out there and people latch on to it, you can't discount what it's called or end the debate over something like "white privilege," because there is a total lack of control by the "left" or "right" as to who shares what and says what and promotes what and creates memes about what.

Marketing is not what it used to be, and you can't blame "marketing" when it is social media that is spreading and perpetuating and fueling these types of things.

Yes, the media is complicit in promoting or continuing this type of nonsense, but this stuff isn't the grand scheme of the left like you seem to think--I think it is the progressive millennials and their ilk who are doing the bad marketing, and "the left" can't really do anything to stop it.

The Left created a monster who has now escaped its cage, and they have no contingency plan or capability of wrangling it back into captivity.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey
Slap, I think you hit it on the head

The Left created a monster who has now escaped its cage, and they have no contingency plan or capability of wrangling it back into captivity.

And, from my point of view this holds for the right as well. All of those years of crying out about the DC stranglehold, of riling people up about individual liberties and freeing ourselves from the establishment has also let loose a beast so that now, the major conservative party is in disarray because all those people took it seriously and now support you know who.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I don't disagree, but this thread is about The Left, so I was just staying on topic.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
"The" left is not a thing. Really. It is not a single hivemind with everyone having the same opinion.

Just like "the" right. They aren't all Trump-fans, right?

Fair enough just beat naming everyone specifically lol

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Nah, I've been in marketing for quite a few years now, and the left has it way more figured out than the right does.

That said, your points are correct as to the specific 'movements' that you mention, but what you're talking about are "progressive" movements, not Liberal movements, and these really seem to have started ordinary folk and spread like wildfire via social media.

And that's the problem--once something is out there and people latch on to it, you can't discount what it's called or end the debate over something like "white privilege," because there is a total lack of control by the "left" or "right" as to who shares what and says what and promotes what and creates memes about what.

Marketing is not what it used to be, and you can't blame "marketing" when it is social media that is spreading and perpetuating and fueling these types of things.

Yes, the media is complicit in promoting or continuing this type of nonsense, but this stuff isn't the grand scheme of the left like you seem to think--I think it is the progressive millennials and their ilk who are doing the bad marketing, and "the left" can't really do anything to stop it.

I wasn't saying it is a sceme, nor that some single group handles it all. I hate others took it that way..

I'm sure BLM was made up by some random concerned citizen and "all lives matter was created by a think tank with a handful of Ivy League marketing degrees.

top topics

join