It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TRIGGER WARNING Meet ‘Generation Snowflake’

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Daavin

Or maybe you are just biased against city life?

I think it's great that you and people like you enjoy a more rural way of life, but many people don't. I'm a city kid, bred and spread, like my father, and grandfather before me. Our line stretches all the way back to Rome, I'm certain.

There has always been room for, and a need for both of us.

None of that changes the essential truth: snowflakes are largely a media-driven creation; they simply don't exist -- in any large number -- even in "city" universities. Anyone who has ever been to one will tell you the same.

I'm not sure if the obsession with special snowflakes is projection, or a deep-seated inferiority complex, but either way, it is a false-narrative.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

Hey! I like the Jazz Hands. A lot.

Yes, they use them at my kids school. It was a little weird at first.

But, it's so refreshing to hear what the commentator is saying.

It's so refreshing that each kid gets introduced and recognized without the "thundering" noise both good and bad that often drowns it out.

Sometimes progression is an improvement.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
They can think they're entitled to jobs when they get out of college all they want.

It doesn't mean they'll be hired.

I won't hire them. Period. And I'm far from the only one who feels this way.

And so they'll start throwing tantrums for guaranteed incomes. More than they already do, that is.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

They should be called citizens, and despite the fact that their cause was not won, their example should be taught to all university students as a requirement for entry, a pre-entry course. New intake should be reminded of the fact that in times past, young people risked their wellbeing and liberty, so that future generations could aspire to ideas and fates beyond those dictated by their birth and financial status, and that before partaking of the expensive and corporate friendly soup that is modern university life, they consider the sacrifices made in vain to protect them from it. Universities should be places where revolutions are born after all.

That might teach these special cases a thing or two about their rights, and what they are, and are not all about.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

It could be that your 18 year old cousin can really "see things" that most people cant.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

How will we know until they have to face something like that?

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Who cares what you do?

In 2015, the US added a mere 2.2 million jobs, and only 675K paid a dime about $15 / hr.

Meanwhile, we graduate 3.4 million college and trade-school grads annually.

The system is broken, and there are 4 jobs for every grad, the majority of which pay so little the lucky winner qualifies for food stamps and medicaid, right out of the gate.

Once you factor in off-shoring, outsourcing and H1B's, you open a world of 7 million Chinese grads and 5 million Indian grads, annually, and neither country produces 10% of that number in "jobs."

The system is done, and robots are the least of our worries. There are too many bodies, competing for too few actual "jobs." Stick a fork in it. Game over.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Daavin
I have found that (what I call) the special snowflake phenomenon, is an urban/suburban thing. the further away from cities you get the less you encounter this type of behavior. I have lived in large cities, grew up in and currently living in rural farmland, The kids here are level headed tough kids they don't need safe zones, they don't get offended by much and will dish it out as good as they get. Maybe it's the "you work hard for what you want or you don't get it" they get from their parents that make the difference, maybe the isolation, maybe the cities are putting something in the water, i don't know.

I'd say there is a lot of politics living in close quarters with a lot of people.

It's just different. As our rural areas are diminishing, will these "farm" kids be able to function in the politics of city life?

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

For generations commentators knew how to pause for appluase and it wasn't a problem.

I think it has much more to do with people being offended when others get a louder applause than them or their child. For example at a graduation or something when one kid gets a standing ovation and the next kid gets the polite clap. Personally I think this falls under the realm of "life isn't always fair" and teaching people the idea that the applause isn't what's important, but whatever accomplishment you've achieved that holds value.

I think it's weird and would be more than creepy to be in an auditorium of adults jazz handing, but to each their own.

edit on 9-6-2016 by Bennyzilla because: grammar is hard

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:57 AM
link   

They can think they're entitled to jobs when they get out of college all they want. It doesn't mean they'll be hired.

You'll be the one who pays for that especially when your entire generation gets sold out and your investments and social security crash.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

What are you blathering about? The economy sucks anyway so who cares if our people are employable?

Is that what you're getting at?

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

And Bingo was his name-O.

Luck favors the prepared, but time favors the young, no matter what old people think of them.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   

But only a fool would put his eggs in those baskets.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Snowflake- A lefty PC who will swoon if you say penis to them.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

There isn't a school in the History of the world that can implement a curricula and educate young workers on the newest tech, at the rate our tech evolves.

The purpose of education, outside of academia, is to lay the foundation for mutual understanding and self-learning, and most of the "tech" training is always OTJ. There is no escaping that reality, regardless of your "politics."

Blathering is for the entitled, and you're it. You don't get to complain about the education of the young AND keep whatever tokens you have amassed playing Monopoly, indefinitely.

There is always a reckoning.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Oh they won't be crying at snowflakes when their wiping their ass.

In fact that probably won't happen because our infrastructure will have failed by then and there won't be anymore more money to left care for the elderly.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

But only a fool would put his eggs in those baskets.

Your money will be worthless, your real estate will not sell because there will be no one to buy it.

You'll have 10 billion dollars that will be like Venezuela money.

Your arrogance will get you in the end.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I don't know about you personally, but I did my fair share when I was young. Even ended up in prison for speaking against the communist establishment in my country.

And I disagree with you. It is not a stupid thread. It's very important how we educate our children. We already established that our education is pure crap, so it's up to parents to do all the work.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

Then fix the education system and keep the snide remarks out of it.

You guys are quick to blame young kids for our countries problems meanwhile in my state they are cutting education programs state wide. Important programs like technology industrial arts and arts.

Head out of ass.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: imod02
Snowflake- A lefty PC who will swoon if you say penis to them.

It's downright Victorian, ain't it?

Think about all the PC lately, what you can say or do, it's like back in the old days.

I can picture them standing around with snuff boxes and fans, wigs and stuff, all proper and prim.

"oh, we don't say that" "we don't talk of those things"

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join