It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TRIGGER WARNING Meet ‘Generation Snowflake’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I thought Snowflake and OrangeFlake and Trumpangutan and such were ATS inventions.

Turns out we are screwed as these folks will want us to hire them one day.

Claire Fox, head of a thinktank called the Institute of Ideas, has penned a coruscating critique of “Generation Snowflake”, the name given to a growing group of youngsters who “believe it’s their right to be protected from anything they might find unpalatable”.

She said British and American universities are dominated by cabals of young women who are dead set on banning anything they find remotely offensive.

“It makes me sad that these teens and 20-somethings have become so fearful that they believe a dissenting opinion can pose such a serious threat,” Fox wrote in an article for Mail Online.

This hyper-sensitivity has prompted the University of East Anglia to outlaw sombreros in a Mexican restaurant and caused the National Union of Student to ban clapping as “as it might trigger trauma”, asking youngsters to use “jazz hands” instead.

Yah, just yah! Jazz claps

We are screwed.

LINK

Books containing troublesome material are now slapped with “trigger warnings”, whilst universities and student unions are declared “safe spaces” where young people should not have to encounter anything they disagree with.

“Their reaction shocked me. I take no pleasure in making teenagers cry, but it also brought home the contrast to previous generations of young people, who would have relished the chance to argue back.

Oh well. Meh

EDIT:

This article reminds me of my 18 year old cousin from San Fran.
She is so offended. She is white but she hates white people and she hates blue eyes.
I asked her why she hates blue eyes and I couldn't believe her response.
She says that you can see "too much information" when she looks into blue or green eyes.
She prefers what she calls "shark eyes", all black or dark brown. She claims these types of eyes reveal nothing to the other person and therefore are not threatening.

I called her a weirdo and then it turned into a verbally abusive fight.

I have a three year old daughter and I can guarantee that she will not be part of Generation Snowflake. She will grow up learning about them though and she will one day beat them.

edit on 9-6-2016 by EmmanuelGoldstein because: (no reason given)

+34 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Today's generation seem to know all their rights, but not their responsibilities.

We have allowed this, yet seem surprised by it all.
edit on 9/6/16 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Minstrels used to use jazz hands.

I find that offensive get me a safe space from these sick youth.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I suppose it's cheaper for the university to promote this than concentrate on teaching real stuff that requires effort and resources from both sides.

+10 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Nice broad brushstroke of young people. Thats a very bitchy thing to do.

Some people are just miserable and bored.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: zazzafrazz

We should call the boomers generation "sell out" just to make things fair..

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

True, but everything you need to know today can be found by pulling that phone out of your pocket and googling.

So all we need to be taught today is how to promote the new homogenized grey tinted life that awaits you.
No more laughing, no more crying, no more emotions.
Just lock step forward into our shiny new (not shiny) future.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein
Clapping triggering trauma.
I wouldn't have believed it to be conceivable.... but there you posted it.

I am aghast.

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Can we bring back the students who were prepared to meet the police head on over tuition fees, the young men and women who stood up for the right of future students to have access to tuition without being charged for it, as opposed to this batch of morons?

I only ask, because I would rather have a world full of people who were willing to be charged on horseback to protect their rights and the rights of future generations, than the sort of backdoor Nazi bullsnip that this current mob seem to be promoting.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I went back to school a few years ago, and attend a Denver University, downtown, in my junior / senior year.

Fortunately, the department wherein I do my "work" has zero tolerance for this kind of nonsense. To be honest, most of them do. The snowflakes are a tiny minority on campus, and are mostly ignored, for obvious reasons.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein

True, but everything you need to know today can be found by pulling that phone out of your pocket and googling.

So all we need to be taught today is how to promote the new homogenized grey tinted life that awaits you.
No more laughing, no more crying, no more emotions.
Just lock step forward into our shiny new (not shiny) future.

Broadly you are right, I'm forever telling my kids to google stuff when I don't just want to give them the answer. I worry about the quality of people that come out the other end of their degree courses though if they've never been challenged etc.
Probably ban sport next. Which reminds me of Stuart Pearce, he was asked why he took a penalty in Euro96 after missing one in the previous tournament. He said he could have stepped back and everyone would have been cool with it, but sport is about confronting your demons, about tackling the challenges head on, no matter the result, it's about the experience. I paraphrased but it was a powerful speech and put me in mind of what Uni should be like, not this bland blancmange experience that seems to be so popular.

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Careful!

Being "aghast" might be a trigger for someone!

You don't want to offend them!

Oh damn....I used a contraction...that might offend someone.

I'm sorry! Oh crap! Did it again!

/sarcasm

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Clapping triggering trauma.
I wouldn't have believed it to be conceivable.... but there you posted it.

I am aghast.

equals

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Probably ban sport next.

Indeed.
If clapping hands scares them, imagine what throwing or kicking a ball in their direction would do to them.

Hell, I doubt you could play with a Frisbee in their general vicinity.

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Where are these people? The only place I hear about them is on ATS. I'm an old millenial (previously known as Generation Y), who attended a major Canadian university in an arts program, and I have never met any women or men who are so offended by life they just can't function. I think this story and stories like it are just way over represented, as people love to be the "better generation". Our great grandparents complained about our grandparents, and on and on it went and it will go on forever.

An 18 year old girl saying she hates blue eyes just sounds like teenaged stupidity. Most of us were stupid teenagers once.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I have found that (what I call) the special snowflake phenomenon, is an urban/suburban thing. the further away from cities you get the less you encounter this type of behavior. I have lived in large cities, grew up in and currently living in rural farmland, The kids here are level headed tough kids they don't need safe zones, they don't get offended by much and will dish it out as good as they get. Maybe it's the "you work hard for what you want or you don't get it" they get from their parents that make the difference, maybe the isolation, maybe the cities are putting something in the water, i don't know.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

You should read about the German student movement and their protests in the sixties and their fight against the German and western governments.

You think our youth would have the balls to do the same thing?

They would, but only on the internet.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Can we bring back the students who were prepared to meet the police head on over tuition fees, the young men and women who stood up for the right of future students to have access to tuition without being charged for it, as opposed to this batch of morons?

I only ask, because I would rather have a world full of people who were willing to be charged on horseback to protect their rights and the rights of future generations, than the sort of backdoor Nazi bullsnip that this current mob seem to be promoting.

So true, and what shall we name them? "Snowball with rock inside"?

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

Oooohhhh right.

Where's all the older people standing up to the corporations and corrupt politicians that have highjacked our economy and are ruining our education system?

*chirp* *chirp*

Another stupid divisive topic to keep us at each others throats while the same idiots continue to sell us out for their own personal wealth and power.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
Where are these people? The only place I hear about them is on ATS.

Yup.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join