It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf Coast swimmers brace for sea lice

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   
MNN: Mother Nature Network 8 Jun 2016

Michael D'Estries 7 June 2016

www.mnn.com...

Subtitle:

The microscopic larvae of jellyfish and sea anemones, sea lice can cause a nasty rash known as 'sunbather's eruption.'

If you're looking forward to hitting the Gulf Coast beaches this summer, there's something you need to know.
The sea lice are coming.
Nicknamed more for their tiny size than their connection to lice, sea lice are immature nematocysts or the very tiny offspring of jellyfish and sea anemones. While they look like specks of pepper out of the water, they become near-invisible once submerged, making their often huge numbers a big threat to unsuspecting swimmers.
. . .
In fact, according to Sandy Estabrook, bringing a bottle of vinegar with you to the beach may offer the best weapon against early signs of contact.
"The toxin is protein in nature and will respond to acid denaturation," he writes. "This is the most highly kept secret in Florida. Hence, if you feel a few stings when 1st exiting the ocean, (usually in the neck area) grab a spray bottle that contains white vinegar. (Acetic Acid) It works on regular Jelly Fish stings as well. Soak your clothing and body under the suit and any place it comes in contact with clothing thoroughly."
. . .

Sounds like sufficiently nasty stuff to AT LEAST be prepared for it.
Evidently it's not commonly deadly--though it didn't talk about folks with allergic reactions to such things.
It DOES sound like a really nasty business to become a victim of--at least in real discomfort--particularly in uhhhh sensitive areas as well as the neck and places a swimsuit particularly rubs the skin.
I don't know if there are other beaches around the world with such a problem but I'd imagine so.
Perhaps the 'sun' 'worshipers' and surfers can inform us for the benefit of others heading for the beaches this summer.
Please be safe and comfortable, folks. No need to turn a happy time into a miserable time.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

No!!!

That's awful.

Funny thing, nature.

We'll be going back to Panama City again this year but later than this month so hopefully it won't be an issue.

Thanks for the warning!

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Y'all be safe from quakes and corrupt officials down there, too! LOL.

Have fun and enjoy each other to the max. I hope there's a good & safe zip line you can enjoy for me!

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Thanks for the tip about the vinegar treatment, I will use that.
No wonder pee works, makes sense now.

I have swam through them, they aren't too bad. Tngly underwater, almost invisible.
It feels like a sore sunburn when you get out of water.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Thanks for your first person account.

My problem is a compulsive scratching habit . . . I can make simple problems turn into scars. LOL. Sigh.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Having lived on a gulf coast island I can assure you this isnt anything new. Or all that serious. Every public beach ive been to in the area have vinegar baths for these types of things, mostly for jelly fish.

The region does seem to be prone to mysterious swarms, colonies, and migrations of odd or not widely known organisms. Ive always believed this to be connected to the myriad currents in the area.

Currents

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: coven83

Interesting.

Do you know of allergic reactions to such things?

Glad it's not typically as serious as it sounds.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Lol funny fact, the regulars of the area i lived in near corpus christie were so confident in the fact that there were no large sharks in the area they would often swim and surf with an open wound. So ive heard of infections coming from sea lice but nothing more serious.

Im no expert so i could be wrong, just my personal experience.

On a side note swimming with black tips is awesome!!

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   
One more reason not to take fish oil supplements before you go to the beach.

Surprised I hadn't heard of these.

posted on Jun, 8 2016 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Had those bites a few times from Fl beaches. Witch hazel helped ease the stings. As did benadryl creams for the worst areas.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   

I saw reports of striped bass caught off New Jersey last week covered in sea lice.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I don't understand about not taking fish oil supplements. Did I miss something in the article?

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
Had those bites a few times from Fl beaches. Witch hazel helped ease the stings. As did benadryl creams for the worst areas.

Good to know.

Though I suspect white vinegar is easier to get?

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I saw reports of striped bass caught off New Jersey last week covered in sea lice.

Doodness. So, fishermen need to be careful, too? And they are super tiny to see?? Hmmmm

But then who said life was safe! LOL.

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN

Good to know.

Though I suspect white vinegar is easier to get?

Thanks.

Most placed that carry white vinegar likely carry it as well(super markets, dollar stores, dept. stores...) in the pharmacy section, usually used for irritating bug bites.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Doodness. So, fishermen need to be careful, too? And they are super tiny to see?? Hmmmm

Thanks.

The bass would have actually sea lice(parasites) which is actually lice, not jellyfish larvae. The "sea lice" name for jellyfish-never heard of it called as such until current articles- appears to be a misnomer of the media when it's really stinging jellyfish larvae.
edit on 9-6-2016 by dreamingawake because: of it*

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Thanks.

The bass would have actually sea lice(parasites) which is actually lice, not jellyfish larvae. The "sea lice" name for jellyfish-never heard of it called as such until current articles- appears to be a misnomer of the media when it's really stinging jellyfish larvae.

Correct, they are very small crustaceans that are found on fish. Their name is actually the 'sea louse'.

The sea lice name for jellyfish is one that I have never encountered before.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Better than covered in syringes like we normally get.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Better than covered in syringes like we normally get.

Damn drug addicted NJ fish.

I had a good day Tuesday, going out of Highlands.
The whole crew limited out on black sea bass.
Not a syringe to be found.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 07:50 AM
link   

The whole crew limited out on black sea bass.

Black bass? Surprised the cops didn't taze or shoot them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join