It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man dies after falling into US hot spring

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
Or perhaps it was just intense curiosity that took them closer to something they found very interesting?

It was intense curiosity that caused him to do something stupid; walk onto a thin crust of earth over an acid hot spring.

No one is saying not to be curious.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Obviously,

curiosity can kill

more than cats.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I just had someone tell me he was a special needs kid. I do not know that to be true, but if it is, then I am saddened.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

If someone is stupid enough to do that, they don't deserve sympathy.

Oh? I was going to say sociopath but,

As for the guilt side, some murderers and serial killers don't feel compassion, but can appear to through acting.

Hmm.

Looking at your posts in this thread makes me wonder why a person would go out of his way to turn someone's unfortunate death into some sort of gleeful blame game almost as if it gives you pleasure to know that this stupid divergent died.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Joneselius
You're telling me you've never done anything, in your life, that put you in direct danger?

Not where I would end up dissolved in boiling acid.

Where's your sense of adventure?!

What I would like to see is a new warning sign designed, with one of those stick figure people like the "Pedestrian Crossing" sign somehow depicted as melting/boiling away with the best expression of sheer horror a being with absolutely no facial features can muster.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley
I just had someone tell me he was a special needs kid. I do not know that to be true, but if it is, then I am saddened.

Good lord, I hope not. Now that would be (more) tragic, and I can't imagine how the person/people with him would feel, knowing they failed him in their duty to protect him from what may have been unknown dangers to him.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23
Where's your sense of adventure?!

Taunting Networkdude is pretty much it for me. Maybe one day he will snap and show up unannounced.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Joneselius
Anything can happen to any of us at any time, and you want to believe you never do anything stupid?

Falling into a lake of acid not going to happen to me im smarter than a vegetable.
edit on 9-6-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I underestimated you.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 09:37 AM
link   
This really was tragic....STUPID, but tragic. And I imagine it was horribly traumatic for the sister.

It's unfortunate that sometimes people pay for their mistakes in fatal ways. I don't know how many times people have waded into the Merced River above Vernal Falls in Yosemite to "take pictures" or "cool off," and have been swept over the falls to their deaths - despite the very prominent warning signs.

We ignore warning signs at our own peril.

And...I wasn't laughing...at all. (Until the comment about shooting the hot springs. Then I lost it. Sorry.
)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Jansy...there are pics of the guy and the area where he perished

www.dailymail.co.uk...

they were able to retrieve some of his personal effects...the article pointed out that After Scott's sister reported the fall, rangers navigated over the highly-fragile crust of the geyser basin to try to recover his body. I am glad nothing happened to the rangers

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

he wasn;t mentally handicapped, was that referring to the boy who got burned at another spring a few days ago??

At least 22 people are known to have died from hot spring-related injuries in and around Yellowstone since 1890, park officials said.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

edit on 9-6-2016 by research100 because: dang spelling

edit on 9-6-2016 by research100 because: changed a sentence

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
No doubt ISIS is inspired by this...Currently scouring Iraq and Syria for hot springs to drop Christians, captured soldiers and reporters in.

(post by BrokedownChevy removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   
NVM
edit on 9-6-2016 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

It's Yellowstone, they have a bunch of foreign tourists there all the time. So they have picture warning signs already.

Bottom line:

1.) If the guy could read, he was an idiot and more or less taking his life into his own hands.

2.) If he couldn't read, he had picture signs that show more or less what you describe. He ought to have still known better.

3.) If he couldn't even figure out the signs, his family needed to have competent minders on him to keep him safe. They should have known better.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Oh boo hoo all the bleeding hearts.

Relax aint like we lost any type of cure.

Just a useless eater, like you and I.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

He graduated magna cum laude or some such just recently and was headed toward a PhD program.

Incredible.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Uhhhh . . . no . . .

He had the potential and was headed for a career that would have helped heal and prevent a lot of interpersonal and individual suffering.

However, even the brilliant can do incredibly stupid and senseless things.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN
a reply to: Lysergic

Uhhhh . . . no . . .

He had the potential and was headed for a career that would have helped heal and prevent a lot of interpersonal and individual suffering.

However, even the brilliant can do incredibly stupid and senseless things.

In other words, he was likely something like this guy.

And you are correct, the incredibly book smart can sometimes display the least common sense. I have my own tale from a classmate.

posted on Jun, 9 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Every time I go to Yellowstone I see people doing stupid things...

1. Walking into clearly marked and blocked off geological areas. Check
2. Taking selfies with Bison. Check.
3. Witnessed a family try and feed a grizzly as it traversed Yellowstone Bridge while sitting in there car. Check.
4. Back country hiking with no experience, knowledge or supplies. Check.

It never ceases to amaze me the dumb things you see people doing. Is it tragic for this persons family that someone they loved died, certainly but in the end people are responsible for their own actions.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join