It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cultural Appropriation Is Bad And We Need To Stop It! Oh wait....what's the definition again?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

But if he's adopted wouldn't that mean that he's not related to that grandmother?

Anyway, my response was somewhat tongue in cheek.. why not go for it.. eh? Who cares these days.. everything is going to hell anyway. Nibiru, where are you? We need you to collapse society so we can build a new world without Facebook and Miley Cyrus twerking..

a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Yet they exist in countries where there is no history of disadvantage.

I don't like the notion of "reverse" racism, it implies some "other" kind of racism, as if it wasn't the same as "normal" racism and perhaps even that it is more unusual than the "default" racism which would imply white on black racism. Racism is racism, there's no such thing as reverse racism.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Who says it couldn't have been needed? About the only advantage he gained in his adoption was loving family that was intact. They were poor dirt folk from Tennessee mainly. Trading on his DNA would have been a major help. We would not now be saddled with some of the debt we are.

Basically, he traded one mostly poor upbringing for one of a different type. Neither one offered anything in the way of monetary or social advantage.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Having "balls" and trying to demonize freedoms are two completely separate things.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLaughingGod

All that matters is what the census says. It's his blood that counts. Elizabeth Warren only had to claim it, and as we all know, her claims didn't bear up to any scrutiny. His would genetically and by US census law which says he has enough blood for the government to classify our marriage as a mixed one the same as our son.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

The problem is when people don't need it and do take advantage. I understand that part... But how do we gauge not taking advantage of it? Is it considered taking advantage under certain circumstance? When does it become a "basic right" and why do we overlook that every race has had cultural differences that could be seen as social disadvantage? These are the questions I have.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: SomeDumbBroad

The problem is when people don't need it and do take advantage. I understand that part... But how do we gauge not taking advantage of it? Is it considered taking advantage under certain circumstance? When does it become a "basic right" and why do we overlook that every race has had cultural differences that could be seen as social disadvantage? These are the questions I have.

Well, some of them are pretty apparent, aren't they? And so you deny the majority the right to inprove their loves because a minority might abuse it? Then you get NO change.

originally posted by: ketsuko

Who says it couldn't have been needed? About the only advantage he gained in his adoption was loving family that was intact. They were poor dirt folk from Tennessee mainly. Trading on his DNA would have been a major help. We would not now be saddled with some of the debt we are.

Your post spoke in the present tense...I took from it that he might be eligible for assistance today based upon his ancestry, and had declined. My apologies if I misunderstood the thrust of your comments.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Or I am saying when it is racist and obvious bigotry it should be punished, otherwise maybe people should be happy that others want to share in their culture.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
It is one thing:
Intimidation.
We ALL (by WE I mean every race, nationality and religion) appropriate elements from other cultures beginning with language. Most of the words in the English language came from anywhere but England; German, Latin, Spanish, French, Welsh, etc, etc.
Food - dear God how boring would life be eating cuisine from only 1 culture?
Add the arts; music, dance, painting, architecture.
How about clothing and fashion?

It is said with a great deal of truth that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
To complain about cultural appropriation is equivalent to insulting someone for giving you a compliment.
The PTB are desperately using every trick in the book to keep us arguing amongst ourselves instead of investigating and prosecuting the miserable excuses most countries have for "leadership".

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
To complain about cultural appropriation is equivalent to insulting someone for giving you a compliment.
The PTB are desperately using every trick in the book to keep us arguing amongst ourselves instead of investigating and prosecuting the miserable excuses most countries have for "leadership".

I'm thinking that all of the apologists here for 'appropriation of voice' appear to come from the dominant white culture, and seem exceedingly comfortable in stating on behalf of others that this is a non-issue.
Interesting. And ironic.

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   

If imitation isn't flattery, what is it then?

I'm really weary of the attack of the vagueries like "dominant white culture" and "microaggressions"

Please give me a solid example of cultural appropriation so I can better understand where you're coming from since from where I sit cultural appropriation is being used as a metaphor for stealing.
edit on 10-6-2016 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2016 @ 11:23 PM
link   

It is one thing:
Intimidation.
We ALL (by WE I mean every race, nationality and religion) appropriate elements from other cultures beginning with language. Most of the words in the English language came from anywhere but England; German, Latin, Spanish, French, Welsh, etc, etc.

It is said with a great deal of truth that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

OMG! I love Canadian Cuisine!

I could suck maple syrup right out of the syrup tree! Chop a hole in that puppy and stand back!

Canadians are white, right? So I won't get into trouble.

But seriously, this is the 21st cen right now and no one is killing off local natives and taking their little hats anymore.

SomedumbBroad brought up a point I might be able to take advantage of.

I identify as a chinese guy now, I will look into scholarships in the states.

A friend of mine has a ministry in Iloilo and Guimaras, Philippines. Very tribal and very poor areas.

Should I not buy some things the Aeta have made, to raise money?

edit on 6 10 2016 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

If imitation isn't flattery, what is it then?

I'm really weary of the attack of the vagueries like "dominant white culture" and "microaggressions"

Please give me a solid example of cultural appropriation so I can better understand where you're coming from since from where I sit cultural appropriation is being used as a metaphor for stealing.

If you can't figure that out from the commentary that I've made and the links that I have provided, then there is not a thing that I can add to the conversation. I can't change your lenses.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   

I replied simply from the title and the opening post.
I'm not commenting on any family dramas.
I see where you and others were arguing over some event that seemed off topic.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 12:56 AM
link   

It is one thing:
Intimidation.

Very well put. I agree

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I don't know. On one hand, I spend time at two types of events in which I witness people doing this with my own native culture- at western horse events, and at car shows like the one we're doing this weekend, where the theme is american cars. People come dressed up in clothes representing the styles of the 40's and 50's in America, stands are selling american antiques, country and rockabilly bands play on the stage.

I have found myself irritated with the horse events and resenting the people "playing cowboy". Though some really invest their life into the sport, and spend enough time in the US or with Americans, to begin developing a similar mentality, a whole lot of them are just able to stick with the superficial look (as they can determine it to be), and some sort of wierd characature of what they think Americans would act like, and that I often found offensive. -Because for a lot of people, it is a moment of unleashing all their selfish and uncivil behavior! It is a moment of stepping out of the french pressure to blend in, be polite, conform, repress their ego. Suddenly they give themself license to be jerks for a day, but without the element of self discipline that goes with that individualism. They think we still live in the far west.

Once I did a clinic with Buck Brannaman here, and the owner of the center came up all pissed off at the beginning and insisted me and another guy go get our hats on. Not that we needed them (it was indoors), but for the look. I explained I didn't want to put a hat on, I didn't need it and this was not a competition. He got all blustered and bitched me out, saying I am a savage that doesn't know anything about proper western attire that one must wear when practicing western riding like a true American.

I answered that I AM a "true American". He turned white and gave me nasty looks the whole rest of the weekend.
(he also rode like an idiot - all he knew about was how to put on cowboy clothes).

For the most part, they are entering into character playing that doesn't have much to do with reality. I think, through time, I've come to stop seeing it as them trying to emulate real americans, but rather a sort of fantasy reality - like people who dress up like Star Wars characters? They have ideas based on movies and tv.

Now I try not to tell people at such events that I am American, because they get confused and think I am from that reality.
And it ruins the fun for them when I tell them that it is not realistic.

Funny enough, I am (after all these years) starting to do it with them. I went yesterday (and will today) dressed up at this car show. It's a lot of fun.

edit on 12-6-2016 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-6-2016 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Oh sorry- I just read the OP and replied with my spontaneous thoughts, because it is something I'm thinking about right now (sitting here in my american costume, ready to head back to the show).
I didn't read the other pages and follow the direction of discussion.
Sorry to be out of sync.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

Not at all! I appreciate your contribution!

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The more I think about it the more a double standard it is to call people out for cultural appropriation. If we are all one race (the human race) then we should take the best ideas from anywhere that work for us. It's a compliment to the Japanese to adore sushi and to the Eastern Europeans if we like to polka.

Without cultural appropriation rock, jazz and the blues would only be played by Black musicians. Should Chinese pianists apologize for playing classical music?

The only caveat I would have is to take something very, very special - even sacred from one culture and misuse and make mockery of it. That's why I haven't done a sweat lodge with anyone else or done a Sun dance even though I have been interested I just feel in my heart it wouldn't be right. Nor would I wear a yarmulke or take Ayahuasca and pretend to be a shaman while banging an animal skin drum.

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I agree to an extent. Yoga is considered sacred to some and extremely spiritual. I get where some might get irritated at people practicing it, but that should not take away from your own personal experience if you hold it sacred.

This is my favorite wiki how

How to deal with disrespectful people

posted on Jun, 12 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   

The only caveat I would have is to take something very, very special - even sacred from one culture and misuse and make mockery of it. That's why I haven't done a sweat lodge with anyone else or done a Sun dance even though I have been interested I just feel in my heart it wouldn't be right.

An Ojibwa Elder once explained to me that "everything is sacred, but some things are Sacred sacred." Appropriation of voice is you determining what's fair game.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join